Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Fat Biker

Mtn Lion in Curt Gowdy

Heard from a friend that a lion was spotted in the park last week somewhere along the Stone Temple loop. They also came across a fresh kill on Mo' Rocka (deer not a cyclist)

No more solo night riding up there for awhile for me, at least until it warms up at night
    Don't be a Hater!
    SS Black Sheep Phat Speedster
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Is it weird I'm more scared of the cows that use to be in Gowdy than a mountain lion?

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    No.
    I would wager that Mt. lions are watching us CONSTANTLY, and we mere silly humans glimpse them rarely.
    Now, next time you are out solo, remember....that tingle up your spine is just their yellow eyes...watching....waiting.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Yep, they are always there. There is no being careful for a while. It is where they live.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Biggest thing with mtn lions is to remember not to turn in and run (pedal). They're cats... cats like to chase things. You're suppose to maintain eye contact, yell, make yourself big. Everything any normal cat hates.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Remember, cats are pu-ssies!...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i was there in the late afternoon two days ago..in fact it got dark quick at 5ish? im glad i read this..not cool trying to wrestle a freakin mountain lion!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    ^ You follow me on Strava, Jesse! Haha. I finally put two and two together (I'm Heidi)

I was going to go up to Gowdy today, but it got too late. Bleh. I just think it's awesome we're still biking in December..

Laramie, Wyoming
    Yeah it's crazy. I rode a road bike down to Livermore on Sunday, getting in almost 100 miles and it was absolutely fantastic. A little headwind leaving town but from Pumpkin Vine south and back to Tie Siding was as nice as it could be.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sooshee View Post
    ^ You follow me on Strava, Jesse! Haha. I finally put two and two together (I'm Heidi)

I was going to go up to Gowdy today, but it got too late. Bleh. I just think it's awesome we're still biking in December..
    hey hows it goin! yea no kidding...its december and it has been awesome out on the trails.

yea i started following anybody that i tried chasing times with..you are pretty bad ***! lol im hoping to get better before next season..but traveling and all, it has been hindering my ride time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Aww, I don't think I'm that badass, but thanks! In June it took me 1.5 hours to ride STC, so now that I'm down to 29 minutes I'm pretty damn happy. I can't wait to get my new bike out of layaway and take it up there, as I know I'll be able to clear some areas I haven't been. That's why I haven't done too much MTBing in the past few months...don't want to ride my current bike anymore!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    29 minutes is good! i mean we have others in Strava that are beasting it..i am still not knowing how they are that fast..but i will strive for their times when or if i ever get there lol

new bike? thats funny..i am wanting to buy a new bike as well, but its hard to sell my current one right now considering its the end of the season and everybody is more worried about skiing than biking. the one bike i am trying to get is the specialized comp carbon epic. I demo'd that bike early in the year from the guys in town, and it was nice! i hate the feel of a 29er, but this was almost as nimble as my altitude but much faster through the trails out there.

but that might still be on hold due to my other hobby, saving up for a D600 here soon...so my new bike might have to wait till mid to end of next year. money..its overrated lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Haha, I have a '13 Spec Epic Expert Carbon on layaway. I didn't want to go full suspension, but once I demo'd it I figured out it was super awesome and I suddenly do stuff I couldn't before. Who says it's not about the bike?!

D600, meaning camera I'm guessing, has horrible sensor dust issues. Or so I've heard. I've just stuck to my tried and true D300 for the past billion years.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yea i have talked to a couple of friends of mine who own D600, D4, D3 and so on..the "dust issue" was actually oil spots from the manufacturer, and the run of this oil issue was with their first batch. i tested a D600 at a recent working group and it was simply outstanding! Nikon also is aware of the issue and is trying their best at fixing it (so i have heard, but who knows).

I like the D300! But i also like the D700..which was another body i was looking at. But i keep getting drawn to the D600.

really? so you purchased my 2013 epic? jk lol yes..im on your page with that bike..its awesome..but good lord its pricey as all hell, which is why its on hold for now lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Mine was unridden, therefore I bought no one's bike! LOL! I got a good deal since it was technically a demo bike and had been ridden (by me). Knocked about $1000 off the price, which still makes it expensive...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I always wondered about the demo deals...from what they said it loses its warranty? But then again how will it be casted as a demo? You have a purchase receipt..so essentially you purchased it from a dealer and therefore you have a warranty? If so i might wait till demo day in april and june.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The bikes we got were not branded or marked demo, test, etc in any way. So yeah, not sure about that. But it's a good question, I'll have to ask when I go in on Monday to make sure I have a warranty, LOL. Especially with that carbon...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    thats good news! so yea, you got a great deal! need to post pics when you get it!

I just got back from great falls MT, went to the local bike shop, they were selling a 2012 epic for 2 grand..however it was a demo that has been ridden by the entire city of great falls, but what caught my attention is that he was willing to sell it with a full warranty! and he also wanted to include a full year of tune ups and so on (things i never use but its still an offer). i almost jumped the gun, but i dont live in great falls so if something did happen to that frame..boom *** out. but also unlike yours, he had "test bike" plastered on the side, but it looks to be a normal sticker, something that can potentially be removed.

at any rate, you seem to be on the right track and im eager to hear your results with your new ride and looking forward to trying to break some of your newer time trials with your new ride lol (if or when the trails clear up).

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Even if the sticker is removed, maybe it's attached to the serial number that it was a test . Not sure how fancy they get with stuff like that (like on a car where they can see if it was a rental off of the VIN) on a bike, so who knows. I'm not sure I'd want a bike that was ridden by others, regardless of the discounted price. I guess I just have too much knowledge on what I do personally with my own bikes, haha. Heck, I wrecked the Epic on my demo even! Did more damage to myself, I'm pretty sure the bike was unscathed, but still.

My results from my demo ride were awesome, and I wasn't even going all out because I was still getting use to the fact it's 10 pounds lighter than my current bike, and I didn't want to harm a bike that wasn't mine (yet). I rode down in Lory, though.

Laramie, Wyoming
    It's been a while since there has been any talk on this thread about a lion at Gowdy. WELL, there is one less lion in the area. This one isn't near there any longer. Go ahead, tell us how this doesn't change your thinking about the Gowdy area.

Dudette
    Hmmm, found this on the 'net...looks strikingly similar to the previously posted pic. I know it's illegal to hunt cougars within the park boundary, so I'm thinking that photo was not taken at Gowdy, but it could have been taken outside the park? Camera angles can do a lot of funny things to the scale of a picture. Hard to say if this one was real or not. I'll bet there are more cats roaming around anyway. Probably not a good idea to bike alone. Of course with all the snow in the picture, I doubt there would be anyone biking yet anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by petey15; 03-16-2013 at 05:04 AM.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Sorry, I know you thought you could pull a fast one but it's clearly not the same cat. Markings are different. And yes, that's how they are gotten most of the time, with dogs. You said you "know" it's illegal to hunt mountain lions in the park. Really? How do you know that? Do you think these cats live in one square mile of land? It wasn't killed in the park but close enough. By the way, antelope look like antelope, moose look like moose, and mountain lions look like other lions.

Dudette
    No, I wasn't trying to pull a fast one, I pulled the above picture off the Internet last night. And just remarked how similar the cats looked in both pictures. I know it's illegal to hunt cats within the park, because like I mentioned, I have a friend who goes there all the time. He's also a wildlife biologist and very familiar with the regs. And I also mentioned that you said the cat was taken near the park. And yeah, they also have a very large range, and just because one cat was taken near there doesn't mean there aren't more in the area. I followed the other thread about Curt Gowdy conditions, and saw the comment about the cat looking so big. I did some searching online and found other cats people had taken that looked unnaturally large, but figured it was camera angle? Why so defensive?

When I made the comment about the photo being real, I was referring to the one I had found, not yours. That might not of been clear in my post. I found a lot of photos where the cats looked unusually large, much larger than their average 3-6' and 136#s. Since there were so many like that, I chalked it up to camera angle. And a simple search also reveals an extremely large range, something like 30 square miles, which would only support a few lions anyway. So, yeah, I am aware they wander in and out of the park, and that one could have frequented it. Did you take the picture you posted? My friend and I talk about biking at that park quite a bit, and I've seen tracks he's photographed on the trail there, and they look really large. Like I said in the other post, I was skeptical of the size at first, but figured it was an illusion of the camera, I wasn't questioning you.
    Last edited by petey15; 03-16-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Well Petey15, because of the local liberals there are shooting restrictions, however, there are no hunting restrictions. Cats have a large range, but that doesn't mean that there is only one lion within those areas. A few years ago there was a lion similar in size in my mother's yard in the city limits of Laramie and they shot him less than a block from her house. Cats, like bears, continue to grow in size as they get older if they are healthy and eating well. I'm defensive because of the ignorance that is perpetrating on people by our local government. Like, do you know about the wolves in that area? I've seen two not more than 5 miles from Gowdy. And bears, there is a very large bear in the Happy Jack area. Me and two other riders crossed bear tracks just this past week already.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    No more mountain lion posts I prefer to ride out there in ignorance. Or at least only pictures of smaller cats.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast