mtbr member
    Feb 2008

mtn biking Boise in December?

Hi, I am going to be in Boise around the 10-17 of December and wondered if you can still mtn. bike the foothill trails in December or are they too muddy or snowy?? And, what is a good bike shop to rent a mtn.bike? Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It's highly possible but is really day-by-day. At that time of year the trails could be muddy, snow-covered, frozen, freeze-dried, or just bone dry... possibly all in the same day. Often in winter you can ride in the AM while the trails are still frozen. Afternoons can be bad if there is any moisture as the trails will thaw & become muddy and riding muddy trails is reserved for a-holes. It's very weather dependent but you should plan on it and be flexible. There's always the option of riding up 8th st or Rocky Canyon roads to get in a little dirt time.

I think Idaho Mountain Touring is the only shop that "rents" bikes but all the others will demo bikes for $30-$40/day.

mtbr member
    I had family visit recently and had to rent a bike for one of them. The '09 demos are pretty much all gone so we had to really hunt around at nearly every bike shop for a bike. IMT had a Trek Fuel or EX, I don't remember. George's had a Cannondale and I think that was about it in town.
    BoiseBoy

Look out!
    Here is another shop for you: http://www.bikes2boards.com/, like pdlhrd said it is really sketchy for riding that time of year.
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member

Try the 2O

The Owyhees will be rideable all winter long...at least we will be out there all winter
    I just don't understand my wife....she thinks its nuts to ride when the temperature is in the 20's....go figure

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thank you for the responses. I can only hope for sunshine and dry trails for me in December.

King of the Barneys
    But if you have to settle for overcast and frozen trails, that's not a bad deal, either.
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin