Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Good job! Mrs. Earthpig's New Ride

Just picked up the wife's new ride, and I couldn't be more pleased with how it turned out. I've been quietly gathering parts over the last few months to build a "real" mountain bike for her. (She's been riding an older K2 Rosario "comfort" bike the last few years - even on the Tamarack trails and the fire roads around McCall - and claiming to me that it is a "real" mountain bike.) I wanted to surprise her with a new bike, even though it's not her birthday or anything - perhaps score some good hubby points!

Anyway, here's the final product - some parts from my bikes, some parts were bought or traded for locally, and some stuff I found pretty cheap on the internet. I think it weighs in the 24 - 25 lb range - not stupid light, but pretty nice for what I have in it.

Frame: Access XCL 16" (I rode one of these Access XCL's to a couple of podium spots last summer - they're really nice frames for cheap)
    Fork: 2005 Manitou Skaeb Super, 80mm (off my race bike from last year)
    Wheels: XT hubs, 221 rims (not light, but pretty bomber)
    Derailleurs: SRAM X-7 rear, LX front
    Shifters: SRAM X-7 triggers
    Brakes/Levers: Avid SD 7 v-brakes and levers
    Saddle: WTB Speed V (thanks cinnoman monkey)
    Bar: Easton monkeylite carbon (low rise)
    Stem: On One Inbred, 80mm
    Cranks: White Brothers (from my old CX bike)
    Bottom Bracket: XT square taper
    Headset: Cane Creek S-2
    Tires: WTB Mutanos, 2.4 (what else?)

I'm going to spring this surprise on her tonight - I'm hoping she's more happy about the bike than she is pi$$ed about the money I spent on it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

roar

chick bike

What a guy! Nice EP. What more could a girl ask for? (don't think too hard when answering) Seriously though. Very thoughtful.
    Whenever I haul a$$ I have to take two trips.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Just picked up the wife's new ride, and I couldn't be more pleased with how it turned out. I've been quietly gathering parts over the last few months to build a "real" mountain bike for her. (She's been riding an older K2 Rosario "comfort" bike the last few years - even on the Tamarack trails and the fire roads around McCall - and claiming to me that it is a "real" mountain bike.) I wanted to surprise her with a new bike, even though it's not her birthday or anything - perhaps score some good hubby points!

Anyway, here's the final product - some parts from my bikes, some parts were bought or traded for locally, and some stuff I found pretty cheap on the internet. I think it weighs in the 24 - 25 lb range - not stupid light, but pretty nice for what I have in it.

Frame: Access XCL 16" (I rode one of these Access XCL's to a couple of podium spots last summer - they're really nice frames for cheap)

I'm going to spring this surprise on her tonight - I'm hoping she's more happy about the bike than she is pi$$ed about the money I spent on it!

I built up an access from for my son and it has been great. Nice ride!

Contagious Xian

So....

...was she pretty stoked

or

did she do what my wife did when I presented her with her new mtb in July: "Oh, that was nice of you.....But where can I put the basket? And it sure doesn't look like a cruiser honey...."

Superg(h)o(st).com used to sell those Access frames - where do they come from now, Performance?

mtbr member
    May 2004

Very Nice Surprise for her, EP

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig

[SIZE=2]A REAL MTB! Hope she really enjoys it and you both riding together![/SIZE]
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 03-04-2006 at 01:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    ...was she pretty stoked

or

did she do what my wife did when I presented her with her new mtb in July: "Oh, that was nice of you.....But where can I put the basket? And it sure doesn't look like a cruiser honey...."

Superg(h)o(st).com used to sell those Access frames - where do they come from now, Performance?
    I positioned inside the family room, by the door leading from the garage, so she'd see it when she walked into the house. She looked at, and immediately said, "So, this is your new bike?" I calmly asked her if it looked big enough for me. She looked again and said "So, this is my new bike?" with a big smile on her face. She picked it up and was amazed at how light it is compared to her current bike. Her next comment was how big the Mutanoraptors are - I thought that was pretty funny coming from a non-mountain biker. She didn't ride it because of the rain yesterday, but she's thinking about taking it out for a spin today. I've decided to replace the seatpost (too much offset), but other than that, everything seems to have come out great! I think, come this summer, she's going to dig having a nice "real" mountain bike to ride - she's even talking about wanting to do Cycle Idaho!