Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Moving to Boise -- Should I Consider Avimor?

10K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  smilycook 
#1 ·
After years of trying, we're finally moving to Boise. I'm stoked about the riding, coming from Houston where the riding sucks.

My initial mindset with regard to housing was "North End or bust," especially since I thought I'd be working downtown. Now it looks like I may be able to telecommute, so I'm thinking about Avimor. I haven't ridden those trails yet. How do they compare to the trails leaving from Camelsback and the Military Reserve? Any other thoughts on living in Avimor?

#2 ·
The trails are less crowded, somewhat more technical. Right now, singletrack is singletrack rather than widened out, double and triple-wide singletrack like most of the stuff in Boise foothills proper. Avimor seems really cool now, LOTS of wide open space right out your door - but remember it is probably about 1% built out right now. There were plans to literally build a whole town out there. And no doubt, someday there will be. Depending on how long you're thinking of staying there bear in mind that that place is zoned, wired and plumbed to get really big. All things considered, especially being new to here, I would pick the North End. Way more social, lots more to do.

#6 ·
Maybe a good questions is how much do you want to spend? You can get a lot for your money out at Avimor compared with the north end. We are currently in the foothills above the north end because we were unable to find a three car garage place with a large back yard in the north end after living for close to 10 years in the north end.

#9 ·
Sounds like Avimor might be a good choice since prices are great out there. I would recommend finding a house that does not have a backyard that is west facing. Since there is very little shade in Avimor and it is nice to have a usable backyard in the afternoon. What is young these days?

#10 ·
I know a couple of guys that ride Avimore quite a bit and love it. They are aggressively upgrading the trails out there. I also know a guy that lives there and thinks it is great. Here are some random pros/cons.
You do have trails right out the "back door".
You are closer to McCall, (if you think you may want to recreate up in that area).
You are a bit "isolated" from the normal Boise things like schools, shopping, etc...
You would have quicker access to a wider variety of terrain if you were in Boise, (NW Boise is close to good terrain including Avimore and it is affordable).
If it were me, I'd rent first and figure things out first. I don't think there would be many rentals in Avimore, but I could be mistaken.

#12 ·
Yeah, it seems like Avimore trails are only getting better while the "foothills proper" trails are getting more and more congested. On the other hand, being close to Bogus Basin Rd. would be nice. Avimor's isolation factor is a big one. It's kind of ironic that Avimor is billed as an environmentally sound sustainable neighborhood because you have to drive into Eagle for everything.

#15 ·
After years of trying, we're finally moving to Boise. I'm stoked about the riding, coming from Houston where the riding sucks.

My initial mindset with regard to housing was "North End or bust," especially since I thought I'd be working downtown. Now it looks like I may be able to telecommute, so I'm thinking about Avimor. I haven't ridden those trails yet. How do they compare to the trails leaving from Camelsback and the Military Reserve? Any other thoughts on living in Avimor?
If you are a leftist liberal, basically anti-American, tie-dye Democrat; The North End is definitely for you.

Avimor went belly up back when the market crashed in 2007/2008. If you like the idea of living in a neighborhood where there is only about a dozen home built that should have had hundreds, then Avimor is for you. They are building again, but slowly.

Have you even been to the Avimor development yet?

Avimor sits right on Highway 55. Highway 55 is a really busy highway on the weekends and holidays. And Avimor doesn't go that far back (From the road).

Where are you moving from?

My wife is a real estate appraiser here. PM me if you want me to look up homes/properties/areas you might be interested in.

#18 ·
Haha, yeah, 31 isn't super-young, but it's young to afford some of the pricier homes near downtown.
I've driven past Avimor several times on the way up to McCall but never turned in. Yeah, I think they should put a row of trees or something to give it some privacy. Perhaps further back in the development it wouldn't be so bad.
Culturally, I'm hard to define, because I'm in between. I'm less liberal than most in the North End, but more liberal than most people in Eagle. I'm a family man with two little kids, but not looking for a homogenous suburb full of people just like us. Frankly, I probably fit best in the foothills above the North End, but I'm not sure we can afford it up there yet.

#19 ·
It is crazy to see how much prices have gone up in the foothills recently, we bought in 2009 when the market was down and feel lucky to have gotten in. You might consider hidden springs since they have schools in the community unlike avimor and they will have a trail link to avimor within one-two years. There is also a development down the street from me called eyrie canyon that has a bunch of lots just going up for sale. You might be able to snag one at a good price and build a house. We are 34 with two small kids and do find it nice to have kids in the area. Not sure how many kids there are out at Avimor, but that might be a downside of being way up 55.

#22 ·
There are trails* that you can take that'll take you all the way up to Idaho City and beyond if you want to do bike camping, etc.

Heck, you can go all the way up to McCall on trails* that start right by Hidden Springs.

*When I say trails I include fire roads in my definition.

#27 ·
Right now you can access avimor from the end of broken horn road and this would entail some dirt road riding. A singletrack connection would have to be made through the redhawk property. The hidden springs trails are not very extensive, but good for an afternoon ride. Avimor's trails are more extensive the community is just in a lot earlier stage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.