mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Mountain lions in foothills?

Hey guys-
    I take my dog riding at night-sometimes as late as midnight or early as 6 am. I thought I heard a cat growl the other night at about 1 am while climbing up lower hulls. Do you guys believe or have knowledge that these cats are out there? I just saw the statesman article about a mountain lion attacking a dog in Garden City. Are any of you worried about them while riding with your dog? Any helpful tips?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    they are definitely out there. I wouldn't be too worried about taking my dog unless it was at dusk/dawn/night. That is when Mt lions are most active. Main tip would be hike with a buddy if possible and go during the day which is when they are not nearly as active. It would be very unlikely that a cat would take action toward you, but I guarantee that one has watched you in the past while riding in the footies.
    It's all downhill from here.
    (There's a **** of a lot of climbing left.)

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Don't start worrying about them until the first MTB rider gets taken down. Then call the fish and game tool.

Cat's live a violent existence. Fact.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Not a Mountain Lion, but I saw a Bobcat along Spring Valley Creek at Avimore this past weekend!

More cowbell!
    Dig out your old Zefal frame pump for a baton/nightstick and defend yourself!

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    They are there for sure. And they have come all the way down to Warm Springs.

Don't try to run from them. Their instinct to chase kicks in and they WILL go after you.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member

Follow these tips

and you'll be perfectly safe...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mountain lions in foothills?-mountain_lion_encounter.jpg  

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher View Post
    They are there for sure. And they have come all the way down to Warm Springs.

Don't try to run from them. Their instinct to chase kicks in and they WILL go after you.
    Is it the same as a bear up North where you just have to ride faster then your buddy?

Or do cats prefer the faster riders due to the more tender and developed muscles of the faster riders?

Either way, I will have to get a new handgun to go along with my wolf gun, and then my anti-redneck pistol will give me a perfect trifecta to keep me safe while riding alone..
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    There is a very cool I-phone app for a rear camera in RV's...not sure if it is night vision compatible.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm a little late on this thread but I used to ride up in Alberta, and mountain Lions were always around. At least once a year you would here on the news that someone or a pet was attacked. I live in Star Id now and when I take my daughter or pets on a ride I am always on the look out for Cat's and Bears!
    It sounds crazy but don't take a chance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    if you got deer you got cats. bear spray would work and is pretty cheap and easy to mount to a frame. you could easily use a water bottle cage.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    My house is off 8th, and we've seen them in my backyard, so they're there for sure. But they're skittish as all heck. Unless you're a tiny female or kid on foot, alone, they won't bug you. And cats won't give you time to use spray or whatnot. Your first indication they're around is their teeth on your neck.

Ride and don't stress it.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    I like cougars. They will buy you whatever drink you want...
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    novice

I disagree. I have been stalked by a mtn lion before. Turned around and he was 20 feet behind me. I took a step towards him and he turned around and walked away.
    I did step towards him after putting a rifle scope on his chest and did not feel I needed to shoot him.

Now i would like to be stalked by a hot cougar. Oh wait i am every night.