mtbr member

Moscow Mtn - snow free?

Heading over to Pullman/Moscow this weekend and wondering if anyone can comment on conditions up at Moscow Mtn. I bet Homestead is dry but any of the higher - more east trails clear yet?

Thanks

edit - looks like I have a partial answer on the MAMBA site - although its a few weeks old. The Moscow Mtn Snotel site is saying 20" of snow still up there.

MAMBA News
    posted 4.6.13

Hi All,

Ian, Kelly, and I had a nice four hour bike-a-hike today covering Private Lands Trail (PLT), LaFortunes Flight, Nemesis, and Gemini. The ground, when you could see it, is firm. PLT has snow for another week along the creek once you are off the short part on the bottom. There is also snow towards the top and in the trees after you reach the top that will be there another week or two. Once you have passed the rocks, there is still two to three feet of snow on the skid trail (another three weeks of melting) about 2/3rds down the top of Nemesis and even on the Ridge Rd for about a hundred yards going down off the point. Gemini is open from the top at Four Corners down to the parking lot at the bottom of LaFortunes Flight. There is intermitent snow from there until the red wooden bridge—from there it is open to the bottom. On that 10 mile loop, there are about 15 trees down. If someone beats me to those trees, let me know so I do not carry my saw for 10 miles for nothing. If I get up there first, I will let all of you know.

In another matter, there is a very active cougar operating out of the base of Headwaters. Several deer kills have been seen. There are always cougar, bear, and moose on the mountain. Keep your dogs close and be noisey. It is also good if you are in a group.

Thanks and see you on the Trail,

Scott Metlen
    Last edited by boostin; 04-24-2013 at 02:50 PM.

mtbr member
    I get up there once a week on a very limited time frame, so I haven't had time to explore too much yet, but here's what I know as of today. Headwaters; excellent shape, little to no mud, entire loop is cleared. Gemini; lower section is good to go and in great shape, a little muddy in some of the shadey places, snow in the first deep gulch but melting fast. I imagine there are a couple snowy areas up to four corners but haven't made it up all the way yet. A few downed trees. Private Lands; I rode 3/4 of it today, it was in excellent shape, almost no mud, there were a couple downed trees. Upper reaches probably muddy in the shady areas, but I didn't get up all the way today. Private Lands to La Fortunes flight down to lower Gemini makes a nice loop.

Plenty of the lower trails are rideable now though and the gate is open. Snow is melting fast.
    Last edited by Kyle509; 04-25-2013 at 11:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Right on! Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll see you out there.

mtbr member
    Rode Headwaters clockwise Friday. Did the PLT, La Fo, to Gemini loop Saturday. Sweet trails, headwaters is hero dirt, and only a little snow up top where we rode. Miss that place!