mtbr member

Moscow, Id Jim LaFortune

I just got off the phone with MTB advocate legend Jim LaFortune.

He had a brain cancer tumor removed last Friday 9/11/09.

He sounds good considering and is grateful for the outpouring of love.
    Currently he and the family have no need for food or more chocolate but in a few weeks, who knows.

He was very instrumental in the establishment of trails and the Moscow Area Mountain Bike Association.

visit: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jimlafortune

Pray for him, his wife Kathie, son Jasper and daughter Emerald.

My the grace of God and peace be with him and his family.

26er
    This is traggic. I wish Jim a fast recovery!

He was an amazing person who could put a smile on anyones face and a great guy to ride with!

Heal Fast!
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member

Death Has NO Sting...

"Part of quality of life is about staring death in the face, and living and laughing anyway."
    Kathie LaFortune

Jim went home Friday Morning at 2:16 am.

Please take some time and read the last few if not all of the Posts from Jim's Wife Kathie at: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jimlafortune/journal

Get Ready - when it is Time - Time to Go - Go with dignity as Jim did.

mtbr member
    Jim was not a saint, and I was not the always patient and graceful caregiver.....but in the obituary, you get to pretend. The following will be in the paper next week....it is for those of you that don't read it, or live elsewhere.

Kathie

Obituary for Jim LaFortune

James Robert LaFortune died early Nov 12 at his home in Moscow, ID following a 14-month battle with brain cancer. His family was home and his wife, Kathie, was by his side.

Jim was born in CA to Bud and Shirley LaFortune. He grew up in Portland, OR, attended Catholic K-12, and started his college career at Central OR Community College. He completed his undergraduate studies at the University of Vermont where he was on the ski team as a biathlete. Jim went on to get a Masters in Geology from OR State University, doing his field-work in the NW Frontier Province of Pakistan. After a stint in the Peace Corps, and with all of that education, he decided what he really loved was teaching, so finished up with a teaching certificate from Eastern OR. The Junior High in Moscow, ID was his first job offer. He taught 7-9th grade Spanish and Earth Science for 20 years.

Jim met Kathie Allard in Lake Tahoe, CA in 1984. They married in Corvallis, OR in 1988. After the station wagon and the dog, they added Emerald in 1991, and Jasper in 1994. Jim loved his life and the people in it with intensity. He was a founding member of the Moscow Area Mountain Bike Association and his legacy lives on in the trails created for his and otherís enjoyment. Jim loved white water rafting and back-country skiing. He was passionate about sharing his life with his family and anyone else he could drag along for the adventure. Even after his brain cancer diagnosis and during treatment, Jim was either on, or planning, the next adventure.

Jim is survived by his wife, Kathie, and his son, Jasper, at the family home in Moscow. His daughter, Emerald, currently resides in Missoula, MT where she is attending University. Jimís parents live in Portland OR, his brother Michael in Bonaire N.A. with his girlfriend, Dianna Rybak. Jimís sister, Therese LaFortune, husband Dave Hunt, and their 3 children and foster child are also in the Salem/Corvallis area of OR. Jim never met an outdoor enthusiast that did not become a friend, and he touched countless lives over his 20 years of teaching. He will be missed by many folks, but his love will live on in them.

There will be a memorial, potluck, and celebration of Jimís life on Sunday, November 28th at 7:00 pm. The East Side Market Place will be the venue, friends and family will be officiating. At Jimís request, no blackÖthis is a ďpartayĒ Red, tye dye, or crazy Hawaiian shirts are welcome, as is bike, boating, and ski attire. In lieu of flowers, the LaFortune family requests that you make a donation to Palouse Clearwater Environmental Institute in Jimís name at: http://pcei.org/payment

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Huge bummer. Jim was my contact with MAMBA for the license plate project. RIP and ride that singletrack in the sky, Jim.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Jim was nothing but supportive and friendly back in the founding days of FTTRC. He gave us a super tour of his trails, and was hugely inspirational with his devotion to Moscow Mtn Trails. His dedication to those trails was nothing short of amazing. Plus, he had the best helmet hair ever. RIP, yes, and onto true happy trails...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

blet drive
    My prayers and thoughts to jims fammily. I had the opertunity to hang with jims familly and howly on the local mosscow trails. Jim will be missed but God is good and ask that he be with the rest of the fam.
    Jk
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    god bless, brain cancer can be very viscious.

26er
    Jim was an amazing person, I had a chance to spend four days with him in 2006 doing some crazy riding! He was always up for the next crazy adventure I led him on.

Here are some memories:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moscow, Id Jim LaFortune-imgp0446-large-.jpg  

Moscow, Id Jim LaFortune-imgp0450-large-.jpg  

Moscow, Id Jim LaFortune-imgp0469-large-.jpg  

Moscow, Id Jim LaFortune-imgp0480-large-.jpg  

Moscow, Id Jim LaFortune-imgp0512-large-.jpg  

Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

jalepenio jimenez

R.i.p.

ride in peace, brother Jim...
    I dig, chop, strangle, yank, stomp, annihilate, mutilate, eradicate, and FU goatheads