Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

More Trailpalooza

2K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  AlliKat 
#1 ·
I've looked at the previous thread, the Co-Op flyer, and the Bogus Basin site. Not too much info. I've never ridden at Bogus before. What is the XC trail situation?? I see the lift is open from 10-4pm. We are mostly XC riders but I'll ride the DH on my Jekyll if its available. We are planning to drive up for the day. Does anybody have recommendations?? Is it worth the trip for a day of riding?? I'd really like to hear something from riders who know the area and their opinions and their plans for the day. Thanks....

#3 ·
If you have not ridden in the area before, yes, it's well the worth the trip.

One of the main reason for the event is the "official" opening of the Schaffer Butte Trail System. There are a series of trails (20+ miles?) of XC trail in the Bogus area that currently exist, and on Saturday these are being introduced. The signage is still not great, and there's no map available (until Saturday anyway). However these are some of the best trails around Boise, and as good as most any trail anywhere.

I don't know what the lift service will offer, and can't comment on to it's DH possibilities. But if you bring your XC or Trail bike, there is incredible riding to be done on Saturday and into the future.

#4 ·
That's what I wanted to hear. We are in Mountain Home and ride in Sun Valley, Tamarack, and McCall. We need somewhere closer we can hit. I'm from the east and prefer single track with trees. We can ride around here but its mostly sand and rock and sun. We'll probably get there around 9 o'clock so we don't miss anything. I'll have my wife, 6yo,12yo and a friend in tow. My 12yo old will ride and the friend will ride. I don't know the friends level as I haven't ridden with him. Is the XC stuff accessible without the lift? Or can you take the lift up and ride the XC stuff? Either way I'm looking forward to it.

#5 ·
Tracy,

The Shafer Butte trails is one of the largest trail projects in the NW that the NPS has a record of and is helping with. In fact, the trail system developed up there and the work involved has been heralded IMBA as one of the more successful trail projects that involved the USFS, locals bikers, and local gov't.

There are 22 miles of trails up there. The full Eastside/Mr. Big loop is good, as is Eastside/Sinker/Mr. Big. The DB reroutes even have some trail features that are not the "norm" for a dirt sidewalk. Also, as of this coming Thursday, there should be signage.

Please come up. It will be a good time. Food, beer, and entertainment will be available. There will be group rides. And if your into a good ride, Meeker (Old Man Riding), myself, Irishbudda, along with some others will be up there to answer questions about trail (if we aren't on them with people).

Another good reason to attend is to show your support for the trails. Your attendance, along with others, will demonstrate to the Parks & Rec staff that have been invited that granting funding requests for trail construction in that area is necessary because of the level of usage of that area.

As for the map, everyone should hope the printer finishes on time. My goodness. The ordeal I have been put through to get that thing finished.

Al

#6 ·
XC stuff in the trees is accessible w/o the lift.

Since you grew up in the East....just for you...there is a log on DB that will bring you back to the good ole' days. There is also a couple trees on Eastside that remind me of riding in WV.

#7 ·
It sounds good. I got out of riding for a while and just started back. We had a good system on the Mississippi coast in the DeSoto NF that was over 100 miles total. Our club maintained all of it on a regular basis. We also had an excellent park near Mobile, Al that had a 17 mile XC race loop that was outstanding. I have ridden all over the East, including the Virginias. I'm really looking to start riding again on a regular basis and get back into shape. If you see an ole' fat guy on a Swamp Mustard Fade Jekyll, that'll be me.

#8 ·
Visicypher said:
XC stuff in the trees is accessible w/o the lift.

Since you grew up in the East....just for you...there is a log on DB that will bring you back to the good ole' days. There is also a couple trees on Eastside that remind me of riding in WV.
Al - Can you comment at all on the DH aspects of the trails from the lift? Are we talking more AM stuff or DH? Any features or pretty much smooth flowy singletrack? Will there be a speed limit/target? Any info would be appreciated. Trying to make it up there on Sat.
cp

#9 ·
No access to the freeride area. No one has told me of speed limits, but I would expect people to be courteous. (Yah, I know. It is a big expectation on my part.) I would bring an AM bike. It would give you the most options...and there are quite a few.

CP - I might actually get to ride with you that day. You should bring the fam. Make a day out of it. Do a ride with the kids on Sappers.

Lastly, everyone should know there will be release forms for the lifts (but that is a given). There will also be release forms for the group rides. The under-18 crowd will need to have their forms signed by the parent/legal guardian.

#14 ·
I don't know how many of you guys have been keeping track on current events but there are a handful of people that have been busting their butts to make these trails happen. Kudos to Al, Meeker, Beck, Mike E and many others too many to name. It's not just about scouting new lines and pushing dirt. This is about working with government agencies and building partnerships, sitting in rooms, talking about things and making decisions. Trailpolooza is not just about riding your bike and learning really good trails. It's also about celebrating the fact that these trails are now officially blessed for you to enjoy. This is a significant partnership between government agencies and private citizens. Don't take these trails for granted. And don't forget to thank some of the folks that made this happen.

#15 ·
TwistedCrank said:
I don't know how many of you guys have been keeping track on current events but there are a handful of people that have been busting their butts to make these trails happen. Kudos to Al, Meeker, Beck, Mike E and many others too many to name. It's not just about scouting new lines and pushing dirt. This is about working with government agencies and building partnerships, sitting in rooms, talking about things and making decisions. Trailpolooza is not just about riding your bike and learning really good trails. It's also about celebrating the fact that these trails are now officially blessed for you to enjoy. This is a significant partnership between government agencies and private citizens. Don't take these trails for granted. And don't forget to thank some of the folks that made this happen.
Who kidnapped Twisted and replaced him with this guy? ;)

#17 ·
Come and enjoy the fruits of labor

Yeh, Twisted there were lots of volunteers on this one. It was fun enjoying getting dirty with Al, Dan, Fred, Craig, Nick, Mark, Irene, Carey, Jim, Harley and too many others to list. It was nice getting to know some of the other posters and sharing in the joy of building something new. I think Dan M., Al, and Dave B deserve big kudos for getting us over the hump with the Federal Land Managers and Ridges to Rivers. With all the hard work of the core three and numerous volunteers I think we have developed a strong relationship with our Federal Parterns and Bogus.

Ian and the freeriders also deserve a huge amount of respect for swallowing more crap than was necessary and keeping there heads down and plowing forward with great new additions. It hasn't been easy for them! But with lots of hard work and patients it looks like things are starting to work out with Bogus and the Feds. I can't wait to see what happens next year!

So if you haven't ridden the Stack Rock/Shaffer trails come on up and have someone show you around. I don't know about the rest of the group, but I can't imagine anything better than riding, drinking and eating - well maybe one other thing.

As for the downhill riders, come up and take a look at see what the future might hold. If you are tired of the drive to the Tamarack/George Bush trails, see what Bogus has to offer and think about picking up a pulaski and building something for yourself. Of course this will all take approvals and a big dose of patients but it could happen if you get off the coach and engage! So make a showing and let Bogus know there is a future in DH!

So now some pics

The first group of pics is of the section between East Side and upper Sinker Creek reroute. We spend several days on a steep section doing alot of bench cut. The project ended with a bunch of brutes placing some rocks over a large root for a trail feature. This is the section we worked on with Nick who I will always remember as I pass over the rock

Attachments

#19 ·
More pics

I skipped out on most of the work on the Sinker Creek to Stack Rock so thanks all that did that work but I don't have pics.

The next section of fun was the lower DB reroute. If you keep going straight on Eastside you will end up on DB. There was several days and several volunteers that spend hours hacking through some tough sod to bench cut. Even so 40 somethings I ride with were roped into helping on this section.

Just for fun we dropped in a couple of logs to add to the flow.

Attachments

#20 ·
Pics DB to middle Sinker reroute

Here are the pics from DB to the middle of Sinker Creek. Ridges to Rivers did some amazing rock work that had to be back breaking. Thanks. There were a bunch of volunteers on this side that did some nasy dirty bench cutting in sandy soil.

Oh, and it wasn't all hard work there was that little slice of heaven at the end of the day!

Attachments

#26 ·
How was Trailpalooza?

I'm real curious to know how this event came off, as I'm sure many others who couldn't make it are.

The news reported 1,000 people, but hardly said anything informative about the trails or maps or BB running it's lifts.

As they didn't interview any of the big name bikers who cut alot of the trail, or R2R's D.G., or any usfs people, there wasn't much to be gained by their telecast other than one thousand people. WOW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.