beater

Montana Enduro Series - 2014

For 2014, the Gravity Guild is expanding the popular Helenduro into a statewide race series. The series will include two dates in Helena, and one each in Bozeman and Great Falls.

Montana Enduro Series - 2014-mes_launch.jpg

Helena: June 7th
    Bozeman: July 12th
    Great Falls: August 9th
    Helena: September 6th

Each event will showcase the host city's marquee trails, and each event will be followed by a celebration of Montana mountain bike culture. The Helena races are hosted by the Garage; the Bozeman race is hosted by twenty6 Products, and the Great Falls race is hosted by Knicker Biker. Additional support is provided by Tilo Plumbing and Bike Helena. More information and announcements will be provided on the Montana Enduro Series Facebook page and website.

Series awards are being custom-made by twenty6 Products. If you're familiar with their gorgeous bike jewelry, you know you want to take one home!

Montana Enduro Series - 2014-twenty6_awards.jpg

See you in June!
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

beater

Pre-registration for the first MES race, the Helenduro, is open and active:

https://www.usacycling.org/register/2014-1894

Courses will be announced tonight!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Bumping because this is great

beater
    Thanks! Maybe we'll see you on Saturday. It's shaping up to be a great event. Decline Magazine will be covering it!

beater
    The first race was great, and provided a good showcase of some of Helena's most iconic trails. Riders were met at the end of the race with a beer and a massage table, and it looked like a lot of them appreciated both!

We're looking forward to awarding another round of these next month:

Montana Enduro Series - 2014-mes_awards.jpg

We also welcomed a new sponsor, who unfortunately didn't make it onto the awards in time: Iron Horse Brewery of Ellensburg, WA. Tasty stuff.

mtbr member
    How can one find information about the series? I mean, the first race already ended and I still can't find course descriptions or the "rulebook" on the linked websites.

beater

Maps of the first race were posted on the series' FB page and the MES website (montanaenduro.com) on the Wednesday night before the race, and that will be the schedule for the upcoming races as well. The post above referenced the Montana Bicycle Guild's website (my error), although there's a link from that page.

Thanks for the reminder on the rules. They're written and need to be posted. I'll remind our web guys to get those up.

Local promotion for the next event will be driven by twenty6, the host, with help from one of our Bozeman sponsors, Bryan Law Firm, and some local volunteers. Fliers should start appearing before long.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    How does Enduro work? timed downhills and you have to ride the transfer section??

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by afraid View Post
    How does Enduro work? timed downhills and you have to ride the transfer section??
    Essentially yes, although most of our timed stages also include some stretches that require you to get on the gas and pedal. As an example, here is the course from last week: link.

mtbr member
    I hope I'm not coming off as a jerk, I'm just trying to be constructive here.

The USAcycling.org site that is supposed to be running registration does not appear to have a link to register for anything other than the Helena race - registration for which has closed.

I can't find any information about registration fees either. What does each race cost and do you get a discount for registering for the whole series?

I also had the same question as "afraid". The only thing I know about enduro racing is from a Bike magazine article I've read months and months ago. I only have a vague understanding of how it works. That's why access to the rulebook or a description on the website would be helpful.

It sounds fun and I'll probably do a couple of the events next year - it's crazy how summers fill up in Montana!

beater
    No, I get that. Anyway, I'm not involved with the website and only tangentially involved with race/series management (aside from running the timing system last week). But since I'm the only guy involved with a MTBR account, here I am.

I think the USAC pre-reg opens a couple weeks ahead of each race, but having them all open at the same time would probably be advantageous all around and I'll pass that on. The race fees are $40, plus $10 for a USAC day license if you don't already have an annual one. Day-of registration is $5 more. Discounted registration for the whole series is a good idea, and I'll bring that up for next year.

The series will expand next year. We have two more destinations on board already. We had 55 registrations and 51 racers at our first event. For comparison, the California Enduro Series had 257. California is also the US home of the MTB industry and has 38 million people. We're on our way! We got together in January with the idea of forming a non-profit and growing our little Helenduro into a statewide series. Next year will have the benefit of more advanced planning.

As you may have read before, the major reason the enduro format has become so popular so quickly is that it mimics the way a lot of people tend to ride with their friends: climb to the top of a hill, and then race each other down. Transfer or time allotted stages between timed stages, and the standings are based on cumulative time. In the past we have had time limits on the transfers (with penalties for exceeding them, and bonuses for the three fastest), but this time we didn't, and it proved to be quite popular. It let the racers congregate at the top and heckle and encourage each other, and it also let them space themselves out without worrying about their remaining allotment time. If you want to read the details of how it works, I wrote a review of our new timing system for the enduro racing subforum. Link here.

The courses are chosen to favor the best all-around rider, not necessarily the best downhiller or the fittest XC rider. In Europe, the courses are generally new (often including brand-new trail) and are announced only a day or two in advance. Practice is minimal. That's why we release the courses after dark on Wednesday night. Our land management obviously doesn't allow new trails, but we try to arrange segments in combinations that most people don't ride, and choose some trails that see relatively little use.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sounds cool. How about these unofficial races going on in the Southwest? I think it's called Colorado Endurance Series? Anyone thought of doing that in Montana? Seems like we could pretty easily link up some 80-100 miles of singletrack around Big Sky for an unofficial good time. And drink beer afterwards.

beater
    Unfortunately, I have to announce a change of venue. We encountered permitting issues with the GNF. We scrambled for several weeks trying to find an alternate venue in the Bozeman area, but it'll have to wait for next year. Just as well, unfortunately, since the course selection got leaked and was common gossip at the first race. It'll have to be a different combination next year. In the meantime, the HNF was great to work with in a crunch, so we have:

Montana Enduro Series Round 2: The Stand-In for Gallatin.

The race will be held in the Helena area. Registration will be available online and at The Garage on Friday evening (7/11) and on race day (7/12). Rider check-in will start at The Garage at 8:00 Saturday morning. At this race, we'll have live results at the finish line and debut the MES Hot Seat!

Online pre-registration is open, and available at this link. Pre-registration is $5 cheaper than day-of. And as usual, watch our Facebook page for further updates.

Montana Enduro Series - 2014-mtbrupdate_standin-09.jpg

While I'm here, I should mention that the G-Funk Enduro is still go for August 9. Great Falls isn't as much of a destination as Bozeman, but the guys up there are excited about the race, and it should be a great weekend. I'm looking forward to some time in the Sip N Dip, too. Registration for that race opens July 18 at this link.

beater
    The Montana Enduro Series will make its final stop at Great Divide Ski Area in Marysville, MT, on Saturday, September 6. The fourth leg of the mountain bike race series will feature a trail maintained by the members of the Helena-based Gravity Guild. The series is in its inaugural year and is run by the Montana Bicycle Guild, a Helena-based nonprofit.

"We've been working hard with Great Divide to make our last race of the season the best one yet," said Denny Palmer, of the Montana Bicycle Guild. "It has been a bit of a process to make this race happen, but everyone involved has been really great to work with and we're excited to run this race in a location where many people may not have gotten a chance to ride."

Great Divide will be running its grill and the Missing Lynx Saloon will be open for the racers and spectators. JP Stanek, Mountain Manager at Great Divide, said that "We are excited to host the final event in the Montana Enduro Series and hope to provide a fun experience for Montana’s vibrant and enthusiastic mountain biking community."

"Enduro racing is the most popular kind of mountain bike racing there is right now. We've had people from all over the state traveling to each of our races this summer," Palmer said. "This last race at Great Divide will be a great send-off for the season."

More information is available at Montana Enduro Series, www.facebook.com/montanaenduroseries, and Great Divide Ski Area - Great Divide SnowsportsGreat Divide Snowsports | Montana's Sunniest Ski Area.
    Last edited by evasive; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:05 PM.

beater

Great Divide details released

The course was released last night. We're pretty stoked for this race. Thanks to our friends at Great Divide, we're able to feature a trail that few people have ridden. It features a wide range of surfaces ranging from loamy to rocky, and with some wide rock gardens offering multiple line choices. The trail is a blast.

Great Divide is also hosting our post-event party, featuring live music from The Boy & Sister Alma. Great Divide will have their kitchen open for food, and the Missing Lynx Bar will be pouring beers. It's only a short walk from the deck up to the rock gardens under the Mountain Meadow chairlift, so bring friends and family to cheer you on, or come on out to watch the action! Please remember that no outside food or beverages are allowed at Great Divide, and help us make this a successful event for them, too.

Pre-registration is available via USA Cycling at this link. Event details and the full schedule are available at the MES Facebook, or the MES website. The course at Great Divide is available to ride tonight and on Friday, although the base area services will not be available until Saturday. Rider check-in and day-of registration will be at The Garage from 8:00-9:30 on Saturday morning, with a racer meeting at the Mount Helena trailhead at 10:00. The next racer meeting is at Great Divide at 2:00. Live music will start at 5:00, with awards following at 6:00.

Montana Enduro Series - 2014-gd_sunset.jpg

mtbr member
    Good job promoting things, Eric. I only managed to get to Round 2 and it was pretty fun. How did the Great Divide round go?

beater

I think it was pretty successful. The trail was a lot of fun, with two distinct flavors. We also had a lot of people come up to watch, both from the deck and along the course. The weather was perfect, too. We've been really lucky with that all season.

We're looking forward to next year, with more stops, in more places. We have enough time to put together a media plan this time. Planning starts now!