Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Montana Backcountry Bike Festival

This is from the Montana Mountain Bike Alliance website.

"2nd Annual Montana Backcountry Bicycle Festival in Lima, Montana August 22nd and 23rd. Great Trails, Live Music, Home Cooking, Montana-made beer & Bicycle fun and games! Put it on your calandar!"

go to the MMBA website for all the developing details and updates. http://www.montanamountainbikealliance.com/

Also a few details from the website:

Where: 60 miles south of Dillon on Interstate 15

The Goal: To have a fun mountain bike gathering that combines spectacular scenery, backcountry singletrack, down home hospitality, home cooking, Montana made beer and live music to demonstrate that Montanaís small towns can benefit economically and socially from mountain bike tourism.

Why: Lima, a sleepy town of 200, is flanked to the west by the Continental Divide that winds its way through the spectacular Lima Peaks and the Italian Peaks that reach 10,000 feet. The Continental Divide National Scenic Trail runs through these mountains and is threatened to be closed to bicycles in both the Beaverhead-Deerlodge Forest Plan and Senator Testorís Wilderness Bill in the near future. These closures are not in place yet and there is a chance that they can remain open through continued advocacy.

Check the MMBA website frequently to track the updates.
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Sounds like fun, can you provide any more info about shuttle supported "downhill" opportunities?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I suppose you're not kidding. This town is next to one trail, for the most part. The Continental Divide National Scenic Trail. It's not really shuttle-able. This ultra-important trail needs the support of all. But it's cross-country riding, not downhill bombing. We will have a shuttle to the trailhead on Saturday. This is to make the loop more possible. I hear the loop is about 30+ miles.

We are working hard to get a corridor from Senator Testers staff for the CDT. Help us out, if you can. All you have to do is act like a mountain biker. Ride, drink, eat, listen to good music. Do it again the next day. The locals are rooting for us.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Some pictures from the Lima Peaks last year

These photos are of the summit area between Little Sheep Creek and Sawmill Creek. This is on the Continental Divide Trail.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    the poster to peruse.

BMX:Our Shining Future

Is there, like, a BEAR following that dude down the trail?

Hopin' for a little home cookin?

Quote Originally Posted by GregB406
    These photos are of the summit area between Little Sheep Creek and Sawmill Creek. This is on the Continental Divide Trail.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I so wish I could go but have to work weekends, Greg I hope you get a great turnout, have fun and do some good
    Sound of Tires on Dirt - Sole Music; shared with friends - Soul Music.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    I so wish I could go but have to work weekends, Greg I hope you get a great turnout, have fun and do some good
    Thanks for the good vibes. Tell your friends about it!

D.A. It's not a bear. It's a fairly well known mountain poodle.

Best of luck!

Good luck with the gathering Gregg and friends. It looks like a great time. And thanks to everyone involved for making this happen. So there is a breed of dog called a "mountain poodle" that looks suspiciously like a black bear. Will wonders never cease.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

more pictures from last year

Italian Peak

This is our biggest challenge to save.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Try this link for an interactive map of Sunday's ride.

http://bicycling.trimbleoutdoors.com...?tripId=295617

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

sickter rickter

Shizit yeah! I was going to go to Big Sky and race against my little brother, but I'd rather save trails by being pro-active. Lets rally as many folks as we can and save this magical place from the wilderness advocates. We should be able to share this area with everyone!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by oldphaty
    Shizit yeah! I was going to go to Big Sky and race against my little brother, but I'd rather save trails by being pro-active. Lets rally as many folks as we can and save this magical place from the wilderness advocates. We should be able to share this area with everyone!
    That's the attitude! Racing seems insignificant when faced with the loss of one of the best rides in the state. All we have to do is make a big enough splash.

Old Phatty, you're all right!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Is the perception of unworthiness for the Animals or the bikers, and "save this place from the wilderness advocates", "thats the attitude". You guys, need to be a little more careful, cause the advocates are more focused than you will ever be, I know a lot of these people in Montana, and you need to find a way to make peace with them or we will be doomed.

Salad Days
    Quote Originally Posted by fused
    Is the perception of unworthiness for the Animals or the bikers, and "save this place from the wilderness advocates", "thats the attitude". You guys, need to be a little more careful, cause the advocates are more focused than you will ever be, I know a lot of these people in Montana, and you need to find a way to make peace with them or we will be doomed.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. They have a lot more money and members, not a lot more focus. You should see how much time and effort Greg and others at the MMBA have put into trying to make peace and work with them.

Here's some more photos:
    Italian Peaks

Lima Peaks:

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    You are confusing Dave's signoff quote with the Lima advocacy. Careful there Fused. Your warning is taken and appreciated. Peace can be a two way street, and we are still looking for honest dialog from those that oppose bicylists. Hope to see you in Lima with the strong showing of other Bitterrooters.

I was in Lima the other day, and the community support is tremendous!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    BTW, any lurking wilderness people on MTBR can come out of the closet. Be sure to also show up at Lima and engage the locals in lively conversation.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Everyone needs a heads up on this aspect of the event. Saturdays ride will be huge.

I was over in Lima scouting a portion of the ride on Friday. We will be crossing a ranch, the Snowline grazing association, in order to shave off 5-6 miles of gravel road. Even so, the ride will be in the neighborhood of 30 to 35 miles. Roughly about 15-20 miles of singletrack, 7 miles of ranch doubletrack, and the rest is a gravel frontage road back to town. The singletrack number varies because we will have an "exploration option" that some may want to try, that adds around 4 miles of cow trails and sagebrush bushwacking to the route, while removing at least 2 miles of gravel road.

Saturday will have a short loop option as well. Probably just under 20 miles. This includes riding around 8-9 miles back to town.

Both rides will take in a considerable amount of the Continental Divide Scenic Trail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Sundays ride will be a bit shorter, around 22 miles I think. Very spectacular country.

Sunday's short loop will be about 18 miles.

The Sunday rides will not be shuttled and are about a 40 mile (1 hour) drive from Lima. We will be leaving Lima by 9:30. They are very worth the effort to drive there.

The geographic connection between the two areas is a half day ride on the Continental Divide Trail. The connection is not threatened by the wilderness bill, but is of course useless to us without some adjustments to the bill language..

I'd have to say that MOST mountain bikers are pro "wilderness"

We just don't want to get kicked out of it! Or most of us are at least pro "conservation". Anyways once they start closing hiking trails due to "erosion, wildlife disturbance and user conflict" I think the whole game will change. So Fused that sign off is a completely obscure quote from Earthpig which means nothing whatsoever that I can decipher and if you can you are smarter that me. Which wouldn't take much. I am so heartened by the FIRST sign in thirty years that wilderness legislation could actually include the public. Thank you John Tester.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I love to mountain bike, I also do not think that mtb's are incompatible with wilderness, especially considering you can take your gas lantern and stove in, are these not mechanized?. The animals don't have any protection in the protected area either, go figure. But thats just pissin in the wind, because this battle is divisive and polarizing, and the key players are and have been motorized users and enviros. We mtb'ers at this point don't have enough clout, not to say that will not change, but it will not be in time for this issue. Hopefully we will be a factor in the future. So the question is do we continue to sing to the choir (yes), but do we also align ourselves with another group? Personally I cannot reconcile motorized usage in the backcountry or continued plundering by the extractive industries. So for now I will have to work on/with the enviros. I would rather sacrifice a ride for a hike than share any pristine area with atv'ers, after all we are only visitors, the animals don't have anywhere else to go. Did I mention that I love to mountain bike, I also hunt (with a wood bow), and yes I am an elitist.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I love to mountain bike, I also do not think that mtb's are incompatible with wilderness, especially considering you can take your gas lantern and stove in, are these not mechanized?. The animals don't have any protection in the protected area either, go figure. But thats just pissin in the wind, because this battle is divisive and polarizing, and the key players are and have been motorized users and enviros. We mtb'ers at this point don't have enough clout, not to say that will not change, but it will not be in time for this issue. Hopefully we will be a factor in the future. So the question is do we continue to sing to the choir (yes), but do we also align ourselves with another group? Personally I cannot reconcile motorized usage in the backcountry or continued plundering by the extractive industries. So for now I will have to work on/with the enviros. I would rather sacrifice a ride for a hike than share any pristine area with atv'ers, after all we are only visitors, the animals don't have anywhere else to go. Did I mention that I love to mountain bike, I also hunt (with a wood bow), and yes I am an elitist.
    It takes all types of us to make the composite that is Montana. I would love to visit with you in Lima, but not here. I'm holding my cards close for now. Glad to hear your thoughts though.

The majority of the lands in Tester's bill are non-motorized already. There is no choice existing where we have to select between sharing with ATV's or preserving an area. That scene is not relevant here, it's just us bike riders and Senator Tester's staff.

mtbr member
    Great pictures. I'm wishing I was there right now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    So you know, I am not referring to Testers bill, there is a slim chance Congress will pass that as it is written, I am talking about the travel plan, which will become a reality.

Yes JParker those are kickin' shots

Even better than I see in the mountain biking mags. Best of luck at your gathering Gregg and friends. I bet you have a great time. And thanks a bunch for all your hard work. We appreciate it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast