Thread: Missoula Trails

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Missoula Trails

Question for Missoula riders out there, does anyone know of an alleged trail which forks off of the Stuart Peak trail? I have heard of a singletrack which drops you off to the right of the Stuart Peak climb and eventually puts you out up the main corridor. I have seen a trail probably 2 miles beyond the Snowbowl Overlook branch-off, but have no idea if this may be the trail or not. Just curious if anyone knows what I am talking about. . .

Unrepentant Cowboy SOB
    Yes i;ve ridden it, ran it, and hiked it..but you need to be a little better on your description so I know just which one you;re talking of....there's a few different trails that branch off that.

I'm gonna reread your post and play with some topos. What's the weather like up there right now? I did the overlook last year by the first week in April, only a bit of snow.

Back in the day the main trailhead held snow til nearly May.
    "...it feels like.....times have changed."
    "Times maybe. Not me."

South Mountain Bulimic

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    A-Dogg:
    Sorry about the cryptic description; but I think we are on the same page. The trail I am referring to drops off of the Stuart Peak trail to "riders right" if you are climbing the trail. As I remember, the trail drops off just as the Stuart Peak trail is making a sharp left hand turn. After the left hand turn (on Stuart Peak) there are a series of root step-ups that are quite challening. So, the trail I am talking about drops off before those root step ups, at the same area that Stuart Peak swings a hard left.
    What other trails do you know about up there? (If inclined to tell); I have only seen this mystery trail, but maybe I need to open my eyes.