Thread: Missoula

mtbr member

Missoula

My wife and I are going to be in Missoula for the weekend in a couple weeks and are looking for a nice 2-3 hour ride not too far from town. Used the search and am coming up short. We like back country riding so if there is something with an "out there" feel with nice views that isn't too far please let me know. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Combine Snowbowl overlook and Wallman. My favorite ride from town.
    My strava ride below also includes Woods Gulch, 3 Larch and Sidewinder which are also excellent trails. The overlook and Wallman are the top (most northern) loop shown.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Overlook Wallman Woods 3 Larch Sidewinder near Missoula | Times and Records | Strava

mtbr member
    Thanks for the recommendation. We were going to try for Sheep Mountain, even though it is an epic ride but weather is looking like crap so we're probably going to bag riding all together now. I assume the soil around there is probably not good for wet riding?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    as long as it's not a deluge, riding is ok this time of year when it's wet. our soils are mostly rocky and well drained. and when they call for rain this time of year, they mean like a storm total of 0.2". Sheep is great but be prepared for a tough ride. It is super steep either way you ride it. Expect it to take 5-6 hours. I did it on Sunday and saw a gigantic moose.

mtbr member
    We ended up doing an OAB to Bluepoint going up Sheep trail via Woods Gulch. Real nice trail, if we were able to stay another night in Missoula I think we could have finished the ride no problem. We were back in Missoula having beers and sandwiches by noon. I suppose now we have an excuse to come back and finish the ride.