Thread: Mile to Sheep

mtbr member

Mile to Sheep

Celebrated my 44th trip around the sun a day early this Saturday with my wife and a couple of buddies on an "epic" ride that lived up to the hype. Have done Mile Creek as an out and back a few times, but this was the first time linking up the whole ride to Sheep Creek. About 5 hours of riding time and an 8 hour day total...super fun day and really proud of the wife for powering through and getting it done!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mile to Sheep-milesheep.jpg  

Mile to Sheep-milesheep2.jpg  

Mile to Sheep-milesheep3.jpg  

Mile to Sheep-milesheep4.jpg  

Mile to Sheep-milesheep5.jpg  

Mile to Sheep-milesheep6.jpg  

Mile to Sheep-milesheep7.jpg  

Mile to Sheep-milesheep8.jpg  

Mile to Sheep-milesheep9.jpg  

Mile to Sheep-milesheep10.jpg  

Look out!
    sweeeeeeeeet looking singletrack!
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Great photo's. Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Nice pixels and a bump because I'm curious if this is the same ride?
    Bozeman, MT: Mile Creek to Sheep Creek | Mountain Biking in Montana

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Nice pixels and a bump because I'm curious if this is the same ride?
    Bozeman, MT: Mile Creek to Sheep Creek | Mountain Biking in Montana
    Yep.
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    That looks amazing!! I am heading there this weekend, but am only doing the Mile creek out-n-back, but this make me really excited for it! Great pics!
    Check out my riding blog:

http://onetrailatatime.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Mildwillie- since it seems you have ridden this most recently, would you recommend bringing a GPS or are the trails pretty clear where to turn etc?

mtbr member
    Don't have a GPS; I recommend this map : Recreational Topo Maps and Guidebooks,Beartooth Publishing, Bozeman, Big Sky, West Yellowstone, Montana.
    The Bozeman/Big Sky/W. Yellowstone one. Pretty straightforward; the trail does kind of disappear in one area where we had to walk our bikes a bit, but it reappears on the right in the woods just after a small pond/puddle on your left. If I recall there is a small rock cairn marking the spot where to pick up the trail again. Check out this ride report as well: L-Train Station: Mile to Sheep Creek: Epic Ride Montana Style!. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MildWillie View Post
    Don't have a GPS; I recommend this map : Recreational Topo Maps and Guidebooks,Beartooth Publishing, Bozeman, Big Sky, West Yellowstone, Montana.
    The Bozeman/Big Sky/W. Yellowstone one. Pretty straightforward; the trail does kind of disappear in one area where we had to walk our bikes a bit, but it reappears on the right in the woods just after a small pond/puddle on your left. If I recall there is a small rock cairn marking the spot where to pick up the trail again. Check out this ride report as well: L-Train Station: Mile to Sheep Creek: Epic Ride Montana Style!. Cheers!
    Along with the map listed above, the route is pretty well marked.

The only time I had hard time route-finding was on the last HAB up and over the ridge down into Sheep. IIRC, the trail peters out 2/3 of the way up the climb.

A few miles after the turn off of Watkins Creek you'll encounter a steep meadow (with a bunch of avalanche-knocked down trees) and you want to stay to your left.

Once you quasi-top out of that steep meadow the trail is visible again to the top.

When I did Sheep->Hebgen, I was VERY HAPPY to see tire tracks up in that section, as the trail got faint at times...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Awesome. Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it. Super excited to ride it this weekend

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilings View Post
    Awesome. Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it. Super excited to ride it this weekend
    I look forward to you TR. This one is on my bucket list next time I make it up to visit fam in Jackson. On a side note, I had a look at your blog. Next time your in Sedona look me up and I'll be more than happy to play tour guide for the off the grid stuff not on a map

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Nice ride and cool pics! Looks a lot different in the summer time. I snowmobile all over that area in the winter

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I look forward to you TR. This one is on my bucket list next time I make it up to visit fam in Jackson. On a side note, I had a look at your blog. Next time your in Sedona look me up and I'll be more than happy to play tour guide for the off the grid stuff not on a map
    I am super excited to go ride this. We are also tentatively planning a sedona trip October or November. If everything works out, I will take you up on that offer!

Thanks again everyone for your help.

mtbr member
    How'd your ride go ggilings?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MildWillie View Post
    How'd your ride go ggilings?
    That trail is seriously so rad! I did a little trip report on my blog if people are interested..ONE TRAIL AT A TIME...: Mile Creek to Sheep creek... Backcountry adventure

mtbr member
    Awesome TR on your blog gglilings