Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mile to Sheep

mtbr member

Mile to Sheep

Celebrated my 44th trip around the sun a day early this Saturday with my wife and a couple of buddies on an "epic" ride that lived up to the hype. Have done Mile Creek as an out and back a few times, but this was the first time linking up the whole ride to Sheep Creek. About 5 hours of riding time and an 8 hour day total...super fun day and really proud of the wife for powering through and getting it done!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mile to Sheep-milesheep.jpg  

Mile to Sheep-milesheep2.jpg  

Mile to Sheep-milesheep3.jpg  

Mile to Sheep-milesheep4.jpg  

Mile to Sheep-milesheep5.jpg  

Mile to Sheep-milesheep6.jpg  

Mile to Sheep-milesheep7.jpg  

Mile to Sheep-milesheep8.jpg  

Mile to Sheep-milesheep9.jpg  

Mile to Sheep-milesheep10.jpg  

Look out!
    sweeeeeeeeet looking singletrack!
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Great photo's. Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Nice pixels and a bump because I'm curious if this is the same ride?
    Bozeman, MT: Mile Creek to Sheep Creek | Mountain Biking in Montana

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Nice pixels and a bump because I'm curious if this is the same ride?
    Bozeman, MT: Mile Creek to Sheep Creek | Mountain Biking in Montana
    Yep.
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    That looks amazing!! I am heading there this weekend, but am only doing the Mile creek out-n-back, but this make me really excited for it! Great pics!
    Check out my riding blog:

http://onetrailatatime.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Mildwillie- since it seems you have ridden this most recently, would you recommend bringing a GPS or are the trails pretty clear where to turn etc?

mtbr member
    Don't have a GPS; I recommend this map : Recreational Topo Maps and Guidebooks,Beartooth Publishing, Bozeman, Big Sky, West Yellowstone, Montana.
    The Bozeman/Big Sky/W. Yellowstone one. Pretty straightforward; the trail does kind of disappear in one area where we had to walk our bikes a bit, but it reappears on the right in the woods just after a small pond/puddle on your left. If I recall there is a small rock cairn marking the spot where to pick up the trail again. Check out this ride report as well: L-Train Station: Mile to Sheep Creek: Epic Ride Montana Style!. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MildWillie View Post
    Don't have a GPS; I recommend this map : Recreational Topo Maps and Guidebooks,Beartooth Publishing, Bozeman, Big Sky, West Yellowstone, Montana.
    The Bozeman/Big Sky/W. Yellowstone one. Pretty straightforward; the trail does kind of disappear in one area where we had to walk our bikes a bit, but it reappears on the right in the woods just after a small pond/puddle on your left. If I recall there is a small rock cairn marking the spot where to pick up the trail again. Check out this ride report as well: L-Train Station: Mile to Sheep Creek: Epic Ride Montana Style!. Cheers!
    Along with the map listed above, the route is pretty well marked.

The only time I had hard time route-finding was on the last HAB up and over the ridge down into Sheep. IIRC, the trail peters out 2/3 of the way up the climb.

A few miles after the turn off of Watkins Creek you'll encounter a steep meadow (with a bunch of avalanche-knocked down trees) and you want to stay to your left.

Once you quasi-top out of that steep meadow the trail is visible again to the top.

When I did Sheep->Hebgen, I was VERY HAPPY to see tire tracks up in that section, as the trail got faint at times...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Awesome. Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it. Super excited to ride it this weekend

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilings View Post
    Awesome. Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it. Super excited to ride it this weekend
    I look forward to you TR. This one is on my bucket list next time I make it up to visit fam in Jackson. On a side note, I had a look at your blog. Next time your in Sedona look me up and I'll be more than happy to play tour guide for the off the grid stuff not on a map

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Nice ride and cool pics! Looks a lot different in the summer time. I snowmobile all over that area in the winter

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I look forward to you TR. This one is on my bucket list next time I make it up to visit fam in Jackson. On a side note, I had a look at your blog. Next time your in Sedona look me up and I'll be more than happy to play tour guide for the off the grid stuff not on a map
    I am super excited to go ride this. We are also tentatively planning a sedona trip October or November. If everything works out, I will take you up on that offer!

Thanks again everyone for your help.

mtbr member
    How'd your ride go ggilings?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MildWillie View Post
    How'd your ride go ggilings?
    That trail is seriously so rad! I did a little trip report on my blog if people are interested..ONE TRAIL AT A TIME...: Mile Creek to Sheep creek... Backcountry adventure

mtbr member
    Awesome TR on your blog gglilings

mtbr member
    Plotting summer adventures from the hot and dry southwest. Given snowpack conditions does anyone think this ride might be doable in late June?
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    This particular year we have a lot of snow. It may not be passable until after July 4th.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Plotting summer adventures from the hot and dry southwest. Given snowpack conditions does anyone think this ride might be doable in late June?
    Agree with Greg, re: no one knows (yet) but likely to be "later" than normal.

One thing is you could still do either ride as and out and back to snow line.

Both Sheep Creek (to the lake) and Mile Creek (to the not quite summit, where Dry Fork Targhee Creek Spurs off to the right) are both very fun stand alone rides if conditions mean you can't link them together...

Side note: I've been pleasantly surprised by the CDT reroute on the S Side of Targhee Pass.

While not as dramatic (or as rough) as the other two, S Side CDT (which can be done as a 20+? point to point, or out and back) would give you more options if camping for the weekend.

I'm hoping to talk my family into Hebgen camping next week and suspect the CDT (S side) will be riding by then as it's elevation profile is much lower.

Similarly the N Side CDT reroute (off of Targhee Pass) which hooks into Mile->Sheep via Watkins (I think) is a really fun ride which Greg posted a year or two ago as well.

Oh how I love the Lionhead CDT. Many thanks to the trail builders!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Black Bear is the Snotel site near Targhee pass, here's the link:

NWCC Report Generator

It's showing 43" of snow still at 8100', but down from 60" a week ago. Greg's guess of after the 4th of July sounds about right.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Black Bear is the Snotel site near Targhee pass, here's the link:

NWCC Report Generator

It's showing 43" of snow still at 8100', but down from 60" a week ago. Greg's guess of after the 4th of July sounds about right.
    Snow depth just went to zero. With the recent warmer weather, does anyone think there is a chance of linking mile to sheep later in the week?
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Snow depth just went to zero. With the recent warmer weather, does anyone think there is a chance of linking mile to sheep later in the week?
    You might give a call to find out conditions to the West Yellowstone office of the Gallatin NF. Really nice folks. While you're at it, mention how much you value being able to ride your bike up in that area (called the Lionhead). There's ongoing noise about closing those trails to bikes.

Hebgen Lake Office

Address:
    P.O. Box 520
    West Yellowstone, MT 59758
    (406) 823-6961

Hours:
    Monday thru Friday
    8:00am - 12:00pm
    1:00pm - 4:30pm

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I doubt it's riding, given the snow we have in BZN still.

I called these guys 2 weekends ago when we were camping @ Cliff and Wade and there was still plenty of snow on the North facing aspects of the CDT at that point.

They recommended the lower sections of CDT (i.e. Mile Creek Reroute and the stuff on the other side of the HWY at Reynolds Pass, which I have yet to explore but sounds more like "technical" double-track.

Freeheel and Wheel
    Freeheel and Wheel - Home
    33 Yellowstone Ave, West Yellowstone, Mt 59758
    (406) 646-7744

mtbr member
    ok, I made the call to the Hebgen Lake Ranger office and didn't get very far. The volunteer from Phoenix didn't know where Mile or Sheep Creeks were. Go figure, I'm from Flagstaff but we had a nice chat about how nice it was to get out of AZ in the summer.

Anyhow, I was able to relay the request through her and sort of talk to another ranger who insisted that motorcycles were not allowed. I reasserted that I wanted to ride my mtn bike and just had a simple question. Couldn't get the person on the line who apparently had some information and was stuck with the volunteer who was very nice. After 10 min of more discourse it was suggested that I avoid the area. Timing is everything I suppose, same for snowpack or whoever you get on the phone. Plenty of riding here in Jackson.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Everyone a heads up. Montana Mountain Bike Alliance will be hosting a trail maintenance day/bbq at Mile creek. July 12. We intend to spread out and go up every trail to clear any timber that is down and to trim bushes and branches. Come on out and pick your epic ride! Mile creek, Sheep Lake, Coffin Lake, Targhee Creek, Watkins Creek, CDT. We'll clear them all with enough help! By next week we'll have a Facebook post about it. We have been caring for these trails for about 8 years, due to neglect by the agency, likely due to reduced budgets. Now the Forest Supervisor intends to close some of these trails. We don't know which ones yet. We are just going to show that cyclists are good stewards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast