Thread: Mile to Mile

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Mile to Mile

OK. This story is just too good. A few days after we rode the new Lionhead Little Loop, a couple of friends pulled off a huge ride. They had a surprise mid-ride as well.

Starting at Mile Creek Trailhead, they ascended to the 9,400 ft saddle and then descended down the Dry Fork of the Targhee, which ends at the Targhee Creek Trailhead. This is a big route, worthy of an epic rating from most of us. Dry Fork is a bad trail, rowdy, poorly sited, eroded, and chock full of Grizzly bears. Those that have ridden it say it's a lot more dangerous than Targhee Creek Trail to the east.

So then they rode up to Targhee Pass and over Lionhead Mountain on the new stretch of CDT. From there they dropped into upper Watkins Creek and followed the CDT back up to the 10,000 ft high point, and finally dropped down all 50 switchbacks to the Mile Creek Trailhead.

This is easily the biggest baddest ride I have heard of in Lionhead. These guys are seriously tough. One's wife told me this was about 41 miles and I am guessing around 9,000 ft vertical climbing.

Then the twist to the plot. Arriving in Upper Watkins Creek, which is a beautiful basin of velvety meadows and small clusters of woods and brush, one rider was taken by surprise by a young Grizzly. It charged him from a short distance and all he could do was yell and get off his bike. The spray was still holstered. The bear stopped 2 ft away, faked both left and right, woofed, then turned and ran. The only protection the rider had was a Titus Motolite between him and the bear. He was really amazed at the smooth silky coat on the bear's back and hump, said it was really soft looking. He thought the bear was somewhere around 200 lbs. Juvenile Grizz are not always deadly, not having learned yet the moves to be real bad-ass killing beasts. Wait till next year. Anyway, the riders got off clean and finished the ride. That's all I know and it's true.

This is on the CDT, a popular trail that primarily gets weekend visits. Human visits are growing a bit now, due to other nearby closures. Grizzly Bear population is also on the rise there, due to their position in the food chain and no hunting season. At this time of year the bears get much more aggressive. With the warm Fall this year, bicyclists are still out in the high country. So in those areas of known bear populations, carry spray, travel in a tight group, and make plenty of noise.
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

Look out!
    Quote Originally Posted by GregB406 View Post
    OK...... Anyway, the riders got off clean and finished the ride. That's all I know and it's true..

Wow, I don't think I could have gotten away clean, I would have had to wash my shorts....Pictures of the area/trail?
    Ride the bike.

jalepenio jimenez
    crazy what you notice when you are about to become part of the food chain...

sounds like a helluva ride.
    I dig, chop, strangle, yank, stomp, annihilate, mutilate, eradicate, and FU goatheads

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Pictures of the area are essentially the same as the Little Lionhead Loop and the Mile to Sheep threads.

Maybe some spare shorts would be proper to carry up there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    this gets me thinking...mile to mile via targhee creek/lionhead instead of dry fork, mmmm! Greg, can you direct me to info on the cdt route in the centennials? Is it Taylor Creek?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Actually it's best to go to Keg Springs, just to the east of Taylor Creek. From there the entire CDT to Monida Pass is open. East of Keg Springs bikes can be used the short distance to Blair and Lillian Lakes. I'm told a great loop ride is from Taylor Creek up and over Mt Taylor on the CDT, then off the east end down past Keg Springs back to a vehicle.

The CDT is closed to biking for about 2 miles in Hellroaring Creek. This is the only closure from Yellowstone to Monida that affects bikes. I think it really sucks. The Forest Jobs and Recreation Act will make the closure permanent. The 2 mile closure forces a 38 mile road detour. Write or contact Senator Tester and let him know that you want the trail there to be a non-wilderness corridor! (that is, if you agree)

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    when I grow up I want to be Afraid, very Afraid...

And here I am thinking about doing (new) CDT to Mile as a shuttle (next weekend, if anyone wants to join) and calling it good...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana Rider View Post
    when I grow up I want to be Afraid, very Afraid...

And here I am thinking about doing (new) CDT to Mile as a shuttle (next weekend, if anyone wants to join) and calling it good...
    c'mon now, sounds like those other guys are cooler... your ride sounds good, i would do it in the other direction

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GregB406 View Post
    Actually it's best to go to Keg Springs, just to the east of Taylor Creek. From there the entire CDT to Monida Pass is open. East of Keg Springs bikes can be used the short distance to Blair and Lillian Lakes. I'm told a great loop ride is from Taylor Creek up and over Mt Taylor on the CDT, then off the east end down past Keg Springs back to a vehicle.

The CDT is closed to biking for about 2 miles in Hellroaring Creek. This is the only closure from Yellowstone to Monida that affects bikes. I think it really sucks. The Forest Jobs and Recreation Act will make the closure permanent. The 2 mile closure forces a 38 mile road detour. Write or contact Senator Tester and let him know that you want the trail there to be a non-wilderness corridor! (that is, if you agree)
    Cool. I have 2 maps. One shows Howard Creek Trail paralleling Taylor Creek Road on the West, both go right up to the divide and CDT. The other map shows trails near Keg Springs: you could go up Schnieder Creek/Carrot Canyon, cross "Keg Springs Road" and come down Blind Creek Trail, but no access to the divide unless you use the road. Another trail comes off the top of the Keg springs Road at the divide called Myers Creek Trail.
    Are you suggesting driving all the way up to the Keg Springs Road to the divide?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Ok, so, my mission for the rest of the summer is to figure out the Centennial riding. We tried a loop yesterday, which I can't recommend! Check out this link: Bike Ride Profile | Lunch Ride near Idaho, USA | Times and Records | Strava
    I couldn't find Greg's suggestions in this thread before we rode, but maybe that's a good thing because we learned some more. We rode up the Taylor Creek Road, which is non-motorized, to the CDT on the divide. The old road was smooth and flowed well with very little granny gear until the end. We headed southwest on the CDT. The divide riding here wasn't too bad, only small sections were un-ride-able, and it only took about an hour to reach the junction with what might be called the Dry Creek Road. It's easy to drive a high clearance vehicle to this point on the divide, more on that later. We continued out the CDT for 2 miles, where it turned into singletrack! I guess it could be singletrack from this point all the way up Slide Mnt. and Baldy, which looks to be a couple thousand foot climb. We returned to the Dry Creek Rd. and descended a couple miles to some other forest service non-motorized road on the left and climbed this to try and find the Sheridan Creek Trail. We "lucked out" and found it, but it just a glorified, unmaintained cow trail. Notice our wanderings on the strava link. Luckily we ended up back on the road where the car was parked.
    Conclusions:
    1. Next time I will drive to the divide on Dry Creek and ride the CDT as an out and back up Slide and Baldy.
    2. Maybe ride up Taylor Creek Rd. and descend Howard Creek Trail. We scoped the bottom and top of Howard, it looked better than Sheridan at least.
    3. Greg's suggestion of ascending Taylor Creek, head east across Taylor Mnt past Keg Springs Rd. and descending somewhere over there sounds good, but where exactly do we descend? Meyer Creek Trail?
    4. Shuttle Keg Springs Rd., but where are the descents???

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Wow Afraid, you really immersed yourself into the Centennials. Better call Corey at Rocky Mountain Truck Center for the latest details. He is still exploring but has been on most of the trails in the range. 406-388-1505

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hi Afraid,

You don't have to wait until your "survey" of the Centennials is over before letting the rest of us know which rides are (mortal) worthy.

I was looking at those trails, as we spent the weekend down in Hebgen and looked like the CDT W of Henry's might be worth a spin...

I rode the N Side CDT from Targhee Pass(on Friday) and the section I rode was pretty sweet (just a mile or so past the double-track) and I was thinking you could do one of your monster loops, something like Mile to CDT to S CDT to cutoff for Denny, climb Denny back to CDT->Mile or Sheep.

As it was I was hoping to do Mile->CDT reroute, but wasn't feeling it so bailed out and took Dry Fork Targhee down, which was every bit as technical (read hike-a-bike) as I remember...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Haven't found anything worthy yet, just cow trails and old roads. There's singletrack here and there, buuuut... I talked to this guy who made a map of the entire range, maybe i'll get it and try some rides. He said the best loop is Taylor Creek/Taylor Mnt/Keg Springs Rd., but that's ALL old road/2 track, as far as I understand. He mentioned some good trails near Salamander and Aldous Lakes, see Dubois Ranger District map... Most trails near Taylor are abandoned, including Meyer Creek, Blind, Sheridan, Middle Fork, Headquarters, just in case you find those on old maps. Howard Creek MIGHT be maintained.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Check out this link to a ride we did today north of Kilgore: Bike Ride Profile | CDT Aldous to Coal Mine/Centennials near Idaho, USA | Times and Records | Strava
    Some discoveries: CDT west of Dry Creek Rd. doesn't climb Slide and Baldy, it heads to Aldous Lake TH.
    Check out this link to Dubois Ranger District maps: http://www.idahoalpineclub.org/IAC/U...eek%202013.pdf
    The Aldous-Hancock Lakes trail #039 is buff and maintained for 2.5 miles, killer out and back for the wife. We busted a left at Aldous to continue on the CDT towards Salamander Lake area. This 5 mile section had tons of blowdown but wasn't too bad until we lost the trail and circled around a bit, then carried/pushed our bikes for about 1.5 miles. Whatever, the trail drastically improved at the junction with 011 Trail Creek. Great riding on the actual divide, and Coal Mine was a killer little downhill.
    Next time I would camp at the Trail Creek TH and try a short ride the first day looping Trail/Salamander/Lake Creek/Coal Mine Trails. Then, on the second day, try climbing Trail or Salamander (easier climbs than Lake or Coal Mine), head west on the CDT all the way to 008 Table Mnt trail and 009 for a 22 mile loop, you'll need to zoom in on this map: http://www.idahoalpineclub.org/IAC/U..._2013%20OA.pdf
    There's also this Dubois Ranger District travel map, which might mis-name 008 and 009, Bear Gulch could be the name of one of these: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5357549.pdf
    Both the Island Park and Dubois Ranger District travel maps show some trails in the Sheep Experiment Station north of Dry Creek, be careful of guard dogs?!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Corey had been over toward Salamander with his chainsaw 3 weeks ago. He got two out of three trails they wanted him to cut. He would like to have help... 406-388-1505

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'll give him a call, need to check his custom map as well. If the CDT from Trail Creek to Aldous was cleared... It hasn't seen work in 15 or more years seems like, since it burned.