Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008

massacre rocks conditions

Anybody know if the trails are good at massacre rocks yet? I'm getting the itch to start riding already.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Subscribed.

Been thinking of going out that way (I live in Poky). Everything seems to be melting/drying pretty fast, yesterday's rain notwithstanding.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Kimberly/Indian Springs beta, anyone?
    I rode at Massacre a few years ago, are they any more trails out there now? I only found about 1.5 hours worth of riding, iirc....maybe I didn't find 'everything'?
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    maybe I didn't find 'everything'?
    Never ridden it but, from what I've heard, it's not a very extensive system so 1.5 hours sounds about right. The appeal, I'm told, is there are some nice technical sections and it dries early/earlier.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Massacre as I've ridden it is around 13 miles round trip (out and back). I've always started near the Neely exit and ridden all the way out to a boat launch site down river. I'm gonna check it out this weekend. Tried to ride there a month ago but it was too muddy

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Dune any insight on where you unload from the neely exit? I've ridden four wheelers and dirt bikes on the lake channel side but haven't ever ridden the massacre side. Trying to get out this afternoon too

Jan 2008
    If anyone from Poky is interested in going today or tomorrow and wouldn't mind taking along another pair of wheels, please lemme know.

Happy trails,

HDP

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    If I head out there I'll let you know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by faip22thedoc View Post
    Dune any insight on where you unload from the neely exit? I've ridden four wheelers and dirt bikes on the lake channel side but haven't ever ridden the massacre side. Trying to get out this afternoon too
    Take the Neely exit, turn right and then take the next left. It's a paved frontage road that you turn left on. From there, you will go maybe 1/2-3/4 of a mile and there will be a two track path off to your right. Don't turn in at the monument, go yo the next trail to the right. Turn in there and park or park along the frontage road. The trail starts to the left of the two track parking area. You'll start riding down the 2 track and you should see the trail to your left in the ravine. Follow it from there and it will take you over to the rivers edge along a bluff. Once you get there it's pretty easy to find your way to the end at the boat dock.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Awesome man, thanks a bunch. Maybe see you guys out there. I'll be the guy whos huffin and puffin from sitting at a desk all winter. Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

massacre rocks conditions

Cool. Maybe see you there. I'll be on an orange fat bike with a lefty shock

Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by faip22thedoc View Post
    Awesome man, thanks a bunch. Maybe see you guys out there. I'll be the guy whos huffin and puffin from sitting at a desk all winter. Cheers
    You and me both. I'm dying to ride but not looking forward to dying on the rides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Did anyone ride massacre today? I didn't make it out so I'm looking for a ride report just in case I decide to go tomorrow

Jan 2008
    Same here.

I tuned up my brakes and then pedaled up and down the roads on the West Bench. A bit windy but a beautiful day overall.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Rode today, unloaded at the boat dock and rode the other direction towards neeley. Too muddy to ride trail down near the river, but rideable when you got up a bit higher on the bluffs. Made it to the rest stop and turned around. Trail is super soft (sandy), but not a lot in the way of mud. Fun first ride, but the softness of the trail took away most of the flow. Guessing it will continue to improve over the next couple days, but tough conditions at 3-5 oclock today. Beautiful day tho!

Jan 2008
    Thanks for the report, doc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Rode it this morning and it was all pretty dry. The first little pull out of the river had a bit of mud on our way back down it, but was frozen on the way out. Rumor has it that the lower Kats trail is doable too.
    Ryon
    ATV = fat A$$

Jan 2008
    Thanks, Ryon. Will have to check it out.

I bet it felt good to get back on dirt for a change. I'm so tired of tarmac ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The dirt was phenomenal. I am still trying to ski, but figure I better go with the flow of mother nature. I'll take some more snow. See you in the dirt.
    ATV = fat A$$

Jan 2008
    So it sounds like Massacre Rocks is riding nicely. If anyone from Poky is headed that way and wouldn't mind taking along a second pair of wheels, hit me up; I'll be more than happy to chip in for gas.

HDP

Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008
    I'm still in the process of putting my bike together (spring has snuck up on me), but after that's up and running, I'll let you know and we can carpool.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Massacre Rocks was in great shape today, no ice or mud to speak of and dirt was excellent. Get it before it starts snowing again.