mtbr member

Mahoney/Lodgepole a mess!

Quick ride report - wanted a big loop near Ketchum with a climb and some downhill, so I linked Mahoney Creek to Lodgepole, back to Mahoney, then down Imperial. I am in town from Oregon near Portland and have ridden Greenhorn/Imperial a couple times on other trips.

I was surprised to find motorcycle tracks all up and down Mahoney and Lodgepole. Both of those trails were really rutted out, especially in the burn area on the switchbacks up Lodgepole. Most was rideable, but a challenge to stay out of the ruts and get up and over the loose rocks on the trail. Parts had to be walked (at least for me..!).

Once I got past the Mahoney/Greenhorn/Imperial junction it was much better, though the climb up at the top of Imperial was rutted as well.

Overall a fun ride - though I had to get back to Elkhorn on the paved trails, and that was 10 miles of gratuitous pedaling!!

The pictures are not quite in order:
    #1 is after the first big Imperial trail climb.
    #2 is the burn on Mahoney, I think.
    #3 is the Lodgepole/Red Warrior junction
    #4, and #5 were at random locations - I can't remember exactly where!
    #6 is the GPS track
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cyklops; 08-16-2009 at 09:12 AM.

mtbr member
    the ruts are not primarily from the MotoX but from the crazy June rains...

mtbr member

Makes sense

I was wondering about that - it did look like water erosion, especially in the burn areas and up on Imperial. Still, I am not used to following tire tracks that wide and knobby.

It looked like the trails had been rerouted in places - so they are being taken care of. But there's a LOT of work needed up there.

Adam's loop area tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    You know that many of the greenhorn trails were developed and are still maintained by the local dirt bikers. So next time you see one thank them, they have done a great job over the many decades.

aaarrrggghh!
    I rode those trails a little earlier in the summer and they were in really bad shape. Thanks for the update.

The moto thing is a double edged sword. I am thankful for the work they do and the fact that the trails wouldn't be there without them but also realize without them some trails would be in better shape.

Welcome to Idaho cyklops.

BMX:Our Shining Future

I'll sue!

I was riding my favoritest trail yesterday and saw those dirty stinkin little cyclocross tracks all the way from beginning to end! Also some free ride dood came racing down the trail and almost scared me!! I had to run straight to my analyst right away and it cost me a hundred and sixty bucks!!!

My analyst told me that I had a very serious case of User Conflict and it would take at least six months of bicycle trail analysis to get me back to "normal". Those cyclocross treads are so narrow and deep that they are like ruts. They throw off my concentration and ruin my backcountry experience. Also they channel water and contribute to erosion. As for those awful awful freeride doods are concerned: They erode my confidence! I feel inferior inside every time I see them fly through the air.

I heard about some hiking group that successfully sued the forest service over trail runners. They argued that trail runners caused them an incurable case of User Conflict. That's what I want to do too! I want them to cover the costs of my analysis!! And I want emotional damages!!!

mtbr member
    Wow. I love the extreme overreaction you get on these boards. Take a pill, guys. I'm not from Idaho and don't know who the trails are made for/by. Any trail is a good trail to me; as I said - it surprised me, not that I was pissed about it. It was a good ride.

I'll be sure not to post if I have any more good rides. Enjoy the trails!

More cowbell!
    I didn't get the impression that you were complaining. I'm glad you had a good ride and I appreciate the stoke you posted with your trip report!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I am sorry cyklops, my intent was not reproachful. I think in cases of multiple use its good for all parties to know the history and protocol. And I was not trying to be a smart ass, when I lived down there years ago, I did thank those guys when ever I saw them. The way things are now in the N. Rockies its good for us to go out our way to be gracious and respectful of all other user groups. I was not implying that this was the case with you. Its hard to word thoughts concisely on these forums without creating contention. I am learning. Again my apologies.

mtbr member
    Fused and Spud-

I was reacting to another post in particular... you can guess which one. I was in town from OR - where 99% of the trails I ride are bike/horse/hike only - and I didn't know the history/origin of these trails in ID. The fact that they exist for me to ride begs my gratitude to the MotoX guys. Now I know. Thanks!

I love riding out here and come up at least 1x/year. My wife and I did the Adams Gulch loop before we left to go back to Oregon and it was a really fun little trail.

CyKlops

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    You get used to the loose trails here. It becomes part of the "style". After a while you begin to enjoy it. That's pretty messed up but it's true.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

BMX:Our Shining Future

Yea that was kind of harsh

and now I can't figure out how to delete the damn thing. Sorry to use your thread for my soapbox cyclops. Hope you keep posting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    You get used to the loose trails here. It becomes part of the "style". After a while you begin to enjoy it. That's pretty messed up but it's true.

Yep, I let some air out of the tires and tried to keep a good spin going. It was kinda rewarding to clean what I could.

Generally, traction wasn't the problem. Now - if I had an oxygen bottle for my poor sea-level lungs, I'd have been in business.

CyKlops

BTW - no worries on the soapbox. I've been there.