mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Looking for riding partner Idaho Falls area

Boise rider working at INL looking for someone to ride with after work (M-W only) somewhere near Idaho Falls. I've hit the Kelly Canyon area a little. Nice country but not crazy about riding alone in an area that doesn't get much traffic (in the event of a problem). I can handle some climbing, 1-2 hr rides (just trying to stay in some kind of shape while I'm away from Boise part time each week). You can call me at 440-6556. Thanks, Doug

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Rehashing an old thread but I just moved over here from Jackson and I'm looking for some guys to ride with when the weather clears. I was hitting the bike park in Teton Village but now its time to find something closer. Any downhill riding...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Rehashing your rehashed thread.. I'm looking at moving to the Idaho Falls area from Southern Oregon. What's the DH riding like around there? Is there any? Lift assisted would be awesome but shuttling/pushing is no biggie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sodpoodle
    Rehashing your rehashed thread.. I'm looking at moving to the Idaho Falls area from Southern Oregon. What's the DH riding like around there? Is there any? Lift assisted would be awesome but shuttling/pushing is no biggie.
    As far as DH riding...its basically everywhere which is nice. Theres a little bit of everything. Kelly Canyon is the closest ski resort and its about 20 minutes away. From what I heard you can throw your bike on the lift. Haven't been there yet. Targhee is right on the Idaho Wyoming border and its close enough to make a day trip out of. You can lift to the top and its some brutal DH. At the base of the pass (about 15 minutes from Targhee) you head up the pass and you got Phillips Canyon, Jimmy's Mom, and some other DH only trails. Jimmy's Mom in particular is only open to bikers. No matter what your skill level is you'll find everything within driving distance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Kelly Canyon is a small ski area that doesn't run lifts in the summer. It has a few XC trails but not a lot of vertical. Targhee isn't far and has been running their lifts, worth a try. There are supposed to be some more trails around Pocatello, but I haven't ridden them (I always go home to Boise on the weekends)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    There's some more trail info here

http://www.snakerivermountainbikeclub.com/trails.php

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kinetixphoto
    Those look like some good trails. I just got a downhill bike and I'm hoping I don't have to drive an hour to Targhee just to get some good runs in.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Any DH/FR riders in the area?

mtbr member
    I am going to be in Idaho Falls during the week and was hoping to get some rides in after work. Are there some good rides around town that are dry right now? It looks like I will be in Arco for most of the summer and I am looking forward to riding around there, it looks like there are some great places to ride in the Pioneers and the White Knobs.
    Thanks,
    Jesse

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I don't know about the Arco area, but I doubtl you will find clear trails in the area yet. There is still snow on the ground most anywhere that doesn't get full sun. Last year was my first around here and I got on some trails in mid-late april and there was still snow patches, but this year is said to be milder than usual. Most of my riding was around the Kelly Canyon ski area and they just closed a week ago. I also did some riding in the rolling grassy hills on the east edge of IF. You might be able to find something there. I can tell you where to start if you want to try that. Winter comes earlier and leaves later here than SW Idaho. good luck

mtbr member
    Somebody mentioned driving east on Sunnyside and there might be places to ride out there. It looked like all four wheeler stuff to me, is that what you are talking about? I went for a ride at lava hiking trail in hells half acre 20 miles west of IF on hwy 20 on easter. It was fun but I ended up walking at least as much as I road, no mud beacuse it all rock though. I also rode up table legs butte by atomic city on a 2 track road last week. It looks like it is going to be a while till anything else opens up though. I should have brought my skis instead of my bike over here!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It will likely be awhile especially w/ this weeks weather. I've ridden that area some, it's better than nothing if nothing else has opened up or you are short on time. Mostly rolling grassy hills. I've parked near the LDS church out by S45 Ave and E65 st and ride south where there are some new houses scattered among a lot of empty lots, then take a cul de sac east and look for a single track. they wind around, eventually you can get to the windmills I'm told. there is also an old abandonded ski area at the end of Taylor Mtn rd past a locked gate. Check googlemaps, follow Taylor Mtn road south till it ends and you will see the remnants of an old lodge. I haven't been up there but I know someone who has hiked around there. Unfortunately it's private property.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It's less than an hour drive down to Pocatello...if the weather holds out that is a great option