mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Long riding pant purchase help needed

All wool and spackle comments aside, what are some good riding pants? Sometimes I don't feel like throwing on the baggy shorts and leg warmers, and am looking for a pair of cycling specific non-shorts that won't bunch or snag while riding. Is there such a thing? I think I've seen the Spudhucksters wear them... are they just normal hiking pants?

King of the Barneys
    are you opposed to tights, which come in wind-stopper, thermal types that are pretty dandy on a cold day? Or you could get some downhill pants by O'Neal, Azonic, et al, that I've always liked the looks of, but never broke down to buy.

Just some random thoughts.

CB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    are you opposed to tights, which come in wind-stopper, thermal types that are pretty dandy on a cold day? Or you could get some downhill pants by O'Neal, Azonic, et al, that I've always liked the looks of, but never broke down to buy.

Just some random thoughts.

CB
    Not opposed to tights. Already have those, but wanted something for times when riding casually with friends or scoping out new trails or just riding in bad weather and not wanting the typical biker tight deal.
    The more I look at the pics on spudhucksters I think they are just wearing REI nylon or canvas cargo pants or something similar.

Barneys Unite!

I have some REI

"Windfront" tights that aren't really very tight - more like a pair of tight jeans. I even wear them to the gym sometimes (and I an not one of those guys that'll wear bike shorts to the gym). All of the downhill style pants that I've seen are pretty pricey.

Maybe jeans a size too big over bike shorts?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Ibex clothing is really good and comfortable. 2 years back I got some Ibex schoeller pants through sierra trader. They are lined with a thin layer of merino wool. They are lightweight and feel fabulous. They stand up to light snow and light rain and heavy wind. they are trim fitting but not at all tight. I use mine for cross-country skiing and cold weather biking with road shorts underneath. My wife steals them when she's going out. Can't say enough good about them. But they were 100 bucks on sale, pretty pricey. But I'd buy another pair!

aaarrrggghh!
    Nope, those pants arms riding pants made by Sombrio. Check out this link for some others http://www.nsmb.com/gear/gearshots16_12_05.php. I don't have a pair but intend to soon enough. They seem like just the ticket for some rides around here.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    $63 Pants/Shorts.

The Sombrios are cool...also check out MACE...but be willing to pay $$$$ for either.

Fox Huck Pants/Shorts at the link below are less $$$. On the style in the link you can zip the lowers off. I have an older style which don't have that feature. They do the trick in cooler weather, especially if you don't want UGB (Unsitely Genital Bulge) or don't want to be like UPS (carrying your package so everyone can see you). They will also repel a very light rain and are fitted for riding.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/141...Pant_Short.htm
    ...building wherever they'll let me...