mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Lokking for Trails in ID, MT, WY

Hi folks,

I am from Germany and currently planning some serious bike riding in ID, MT, WY for three weeks from end of June until mid-July. I will start out from Bozeman (attending a wedding there) but then I am pretty flexible in terms of travelling.

Since you're the local experts, I'd be keen to know

- which trails to ride (name, location, type (CC, FR, DH), ideally coordinates for Google Earth would help). I am more the CC-type-a-guy.
    - whether there are any major / cool MTB events to go to (date, name, location)
    - where to stay (name, location, e-mail, phone)
    - what other websites you recommend to check out travel options

Thanks heaps for your suggestions.

If you need trail information in and around Germany let me know, and I'll try to help out.

Take care,

Pete

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Falcon Guide books have most of the tourist routes listed - read these to get enthused about our area then check back here for more/better local information. You can check out the book selection at: http://www.trails.com/catalog_catego...tegoryid=10287
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Must ride Missoula

mtbr member
    There are lots of good cross country trails around Bozeman. You may want to plan at a few days to ride here. Although we've had a pretty big snow year so some trails may not be rideable when you get here. Trails around Helena and to the west of Bozeman (Pipestone) will be in good shape. As mentioned above, the Falcon Guide books cover Bozemana and Helena but you'd probably need someone to show you around Pipestone.

Are you camping or staying hotels? Either way, there are plenty to choose from. All the hotels in Bozeman are within a couple miles of each other and there really isn't much difference between them (of course I've never stayed at one myself). If you're camping, I would recommend the sites near Hyalite Lake due to the pretty scenery and close proximity to trails (History Rock, Emerald Lake, Hood to Lick Creek - all great rides).

Not sure of any events but here is a good link to get more info and quite possibly riding partners/guides in the Bozeman area (some of us are easily bribed with beer, I hear you have some of that in Germany)

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/gvbcmtnbike/

Enjoy your visit, spring time is a great time to be here. Oh by the way, I also highly recommend riding the Sypes canyon trail. It's one of the first to dry out, has great views, and should have loads of wildflowers when you get here. Although it is one of the tougher climbs and is relatively short (about 3 miles each way, out and back).

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Dont forget Idaho

I really like Sun Valley, Idaho. It's something like a 6-8 hour drive South of Missoula. There are half a dozen exceptional rides there and in the Sawtooth National Recreation Area, just north of Sun Valley.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

You're gonna have a blast

Pete,

Like Dir-T, I live in Bozeman too. There is hundreds of miles of trails all around the town. Every range of mountains has lots of riding, and quite a few rides can start from town. The best towns to stay at and ride from may be Helena and Butte. There is a lot of riding to the west of Bozeman within a 2 hour drive. Missoula is good too. I have heard that in Idaho, Sun Valley is the best place, but in northern Idaho the mountains around Kellogg are loaded with trails.

That all said, we have really good scenery around here, and I can hook you up with some local crazies for guides and loan you some maps. When you are here, the highest trails will still have some snow, but most trails will be dry enough to ride.

Where are you living? My daughter lives in Garmisch. Send me a pm to exchange more non-biking details.

Greg

Grumpy S.O.B.
    Feb 2006

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kanter
    Must ride Missoula
    Definitely check out Missoula, there are quite a few good Xcountry trails in and around the area. Check out the following sites for some good info about trails around here.

http://www.trails.com/catalog_produc...familyid=10442

http://www.limb.org/

Have Fun, sounds like fun!!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    If you come through the Driggs/Jackson Hole area, PM me. I am sure we could show you a ride that you will never, ever forget, All in view of the Teton Mountain range. PS, arrange to come through here to ride on a Sunday!!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    When going through Missoula, let me know. I grew up there and know of a lot of epic XC trails that can be done on a XC or BIG bike.

mtbr member

Where to bike

Up until mid-July, it may be a bit wet at the higher altitudes on the forested trails like Emerald Lake near Bozeman (which I recommed later in the year). Sun Valley may be a good bet as it has a lot of open (i.e., the sun hits it early) terrain (and good hot springs). I live in the Park City, Utah area, which is a bit out of your way, but we must have 250 miles of singletrack and have a 100mile (friendly) race in late Aug,I think.(http://www.thee100.com/) Moab is way out of the way...great...and a bit hot in July. MTBreview has a good listing of trails by state. Good luck!