mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Local source for clear frame tape

Anyone know a source that stocks clear tape to protect my frame? I don't need a general contractor sized sheet, and I don't feel like paying $8 at a bicycle shop for "special adhesive tape that can withstand extreme riding" (or whatever the marketing lingo says).

Hoops - Big and Small
    Your bike is an Enduro machine! Cut up some old tubes throw down some rubber cement and stick it to it. Don't get all wussy with it, it's meant to look bad a$$.

Have you posted any pics of the DW-Link Horse yet!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    Your bike is an Enduro machine! Cut up some old tubes throw down some rubber cement and stick it to it. Don't get all wussy with it, it's meant to look bad a$$.

Have you posted any pics of the DW-Link Horse yet!
    Hahaha, I did the rubber cement and old tube thing on a bike years ago; the chainstay. Worked like a charm and it was soooo quiet! But I don't think SuperGluing tube parts to my headtube would be cool. Beside, I'm out of glue.

I have posted some pics of the build. I changed the stem from a 120x0 to a 100x6, and it's nice. Now the bike is dirty and broken-in; looks much better than the catalog shot I posted. But you won't ever see me posting bike-on-mountaintop mid-ride shots... because my dig cam sucks and I am not good enough to time the ride-by.

The MKIII rides so nice! It's much more capable than I am. Last night I actually got off the bike on an off camber downhill turn because I hesitated at a g-out. Silly.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by westin
    Anyone know a source that stocks clear tape to protect my frame? I don't need a general contractor sized sheet, and I don't feel like paying $8 at a bicycle shop for "special adhesive tape that can withstand extreme riding" (or whatever the marketing lingo says).

Are you talking about for use as a chain stay protector?

If so... I use electrical tape. It's cheap, comes in lots of colors (including the all imporant one: black), is easily replaceable, and can be put on as thick as desired.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Speaking of chainstay protectors...Does anyone have an old beefy tire I could use for one?

"Jalepenos make your ass burn." ~Trevor Thornton

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    Are you talking about for use as a chain stay protector?

If so... I use electrical tape. It's cheap, comes in lots of colors (including the all imporant one: black), is easily replaceable, and can be put on as thick as desired.
    To protect the frame tubes from cable rub mainly. My chainstay is elevated and is clear of slap.

Hoops - Big and Small
    Alright I give - If your going to keep it pristine, go with this (Scotch Laminate). You'll find it at your local craft store. I can't believe I'am saying this.

I'am not into craft stores - I like the Maxxis girls much better, now thats one bad A$$
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Photo Laminate... thanks!!

mtbr member
    May 2004

Colordado Cyclist has it

But it wasn't on their website under frame protection - you may have to call them.

Colorado Cyclist