Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Local Help

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Local Help

Alright I need some help deciding on what bike I should get for the local trails (Boise). I'm just starting out so I just plan on doing the begginer to intermediate stuff like around the foothills and such until I really get my skill level up. But I need help deciding on which bike that will be a good begginer bike but still be able to handle the area. I'd like to keep it in the 500 range but also save as much as I can for buying some accessories. Oh and since I'm just getting into it I really don't have a clue on which componets are the best.

Right now I'm deciding between with as much as I know:

Specialized Rockhopper http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=12989 No disk brakes, strong frame good stuff all around

Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=12277 Has Disk brakes, strong frame with decent stuff

Diamondback Response Sport http://www.diamondback.com/items.asp...=14&itemid=176 Also has the disk brakes on par with hardrock but has 20mm more travel

Now I hear the rockhopper has the better overall componets but doesn't have the disk brakes. I'd save some money if I went for one of the others and could start getting ready to upgrade with the money I saved.

So what I'm really asking is for what we have around here would it better to get the rockhopper with better overall stuff or get something with disk brakes?

Would really appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2004
    EP you wanna help this kid/guy?
    Because I'm tending to want to tell him to save until he has around his current budget for bike and accessories or so to get a Hardtail with decent components that are lighter, and will work and last a while as he progresses?

My first mtn bike ride if you could call it that was on my brothers old GT Hardtail - had hardly anything except a water bottle and seat bag, crappy brakes and components, but it didn't matter. I was able to get "out there" a little, get a feel and the endorphin rush. That was all it took!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Get over to REI NOW!!!! 20% off before the end of Sunday. Several good options for that price; my ex gf did that, and she's loving her K2. They have Scott and Novara over there. Worse comes to worse, you take it back!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah but REI's "20% off" may still be higher than what he could get elsewhere, for a smiliar eqipped bike and accessories

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Yeah but REI's "20% off" may still be higher than what he could get elsewhere, for a smiliar eqipped bike and accessories
    I did not know that. Sorry. But the return policy is good. He could ride it all summer and give it back should his ability surpass the bike or his desire to ride disappear.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Just what retail business love, people who buy and use up stuff then return it!
    Like eating an entire meal in a restaurant, then saying something was wrong with it and asking the manager to comp them. Oh Geeez, I'm starting to sound like Earthpig (sorry Geoff)!!!

No, really, AWD how old are you? If I may, I say go over to Georges on Front St or call and ask to talk to Mike Cooley. I think the bike you would want is this RockHopper
    (if you want to stick with Specialized, and why not?)

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...keTab=techspec

Tell him Daryl sent you and see what kind of deal he might be willing to make for you.
    If he can't make it happen right now, It is worth saving a bit more to get better components and frame, but that is just my opinion...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    It's part of being an REI member, having that option. I didn't say abuse it, I said use it. REI has told me people bring stuff back after 10 years of use! Now that's abuse. I'm taking a watch back today I purchased yesterday. Is that bad? I paid my membership dues. It's not lying or abusing the system, it's taking part in the co-op experience.

Speaking of abuse... if you go to George's your wallet will get abused. Go to Reed's in Eagle.

Like eating an entire meal in a restaurant, then saying something was wrong with it and asking the manager to comp them. Oh Geeez, I'm starting to sound like Earthpig (sorry Geoff)!!!

No, really, AWD how old are you? If I may, I say go over to Georges on Front St or call and ask to talk to Mike Cooley. I think the bike you would want is this RockHopper
    (if you want to stick with Specialized, and why not?)

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...keTab=techspec

Tell him Daryl sent you and see what kind of deal he might be willing to make for you.
    If he can't make it happen right now, It is worth saving a bit more to get better

components and frame, but that is just my opinion...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Reeds is good. I'll be getting a chainring protector from them shortly. If he goes there, he can probably get a good deal on Diamondback or Raleigh.

It goes back to establishing a good relationship with a shop (or a few shops), so they treat you right. I guess REI charges the membership fee based on it's corporate structure as a Co-Op, but so does the Boise Co Op, which is why I'm looking forward to when Trader Joes finally comes to Southwest Idaho, by the way!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Reeds is good. I'll be getting a chainring protector from them shortly. If he goes there, he can probably get a good deal on Diamondback or Raleigh.

It goes back to establishing a good relationship with a shop (or a few shops), so they treat you right. I guess REI charges the membership fee based on it's corporate structure as a Co-Op, but so does the Boise Co Op, which is why I'm looking forward to when Trader Joes finally comes to Southwest Idaho, by the way!
    You better not be yanking my chain(ring). Trader Joe's is coming to Boise?????
    The Co-Op is expanding. A smaller second store either in Eagle or southeast Boise, but same big attitude and crazy high prices.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You know about TJ's? They said it would be a couple of years still. One of the reasons their prices are so good is that they own all their stores/property rather than leasing them, so they take time in their expansions. I love Trader Joes!

mtbr member
    awd...do you have any friends that know about bikes? probably not, since you're on here asking..

but, if you have a buddy that can help you. i think getting a used bike is the best way to go.

this is only if you have some help or if you are a fast learner.

there are classifieds here on mtbr.. or ebay is always there.

also, mailorder complete bikes is a possibility.

but, if you get a used but not abused bike, you'll get more for your money imo. something better to build on...because you will get hooked.

one other option is the bike swap that happened last month.

what's your height? you think you're a "medium" size bike?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    And maybe Craigslist, the Boise forum (http://boise.craigslist.org/bik/) or the Idaho Mistakesman classifieds at http://www.idahoclassified.com/cv3/i...25&Search.y=15

I see one mtb that is decent sounding under 500 clams.

Quote Originally Posted by garnetspur
    awd...do you have any friends that know about bikes? probably not, since you're on here asking..

but, if you have a buddy that can help you. i think getting a used bike is the best way to go.

this is only if you have some help or if you are a fast learner.

there are classifieds here on mtbr.. or ebay is always there.

also, mailorder complete bikes is a possibility.

but, if you get a used but not abused bike, you'll get more for your money imo. something better to build on...because you will get hooked.

one other option is the bike swap that happened last month.

what's your height? you think you're a "medium" size bike?

Hi!!!
    When I first began working for REI many moons ago, we were told that the % of people that "....buy and use up stuff and then return it!" is rather small than say compared to the people who actually have a legitimate excuse. I wanna say this % is in the single digits. Yeah people abuse our generous return policy, but it's not as great of a number as you think.

When I was demoing Yetis down in SLC last year, the manager for the SLC store was telling me how a guy "broke" his 575 in Moab. He brought it back and either got another bike or his money back...I can't remember. Anyhoo they fixed up his broken Yeti and put it out for sale.

As far as the price between what we have in the store now combined with the 20% off and the prices of similary spec'd bikes in other shops....I just don't know. That's gonna require some legwork on your part.

Besides, we make up for it by hosing you on Patagonia and TNF stuff.

----------

awd ---

This is FearM9 from BroncoCountry. I say stick with the DB from Reeds like I said in my post from yesterday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    You can say that again (but don't). I make a decent living but that Patagonia stuff is a killer. Isn't most of it recycled plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave

Besides, we make up for it by hosing you on Patagonia and TNF stuff.

Hi!!!
    When I first began working for REI many moons ago, we were told that the % of people that "....buy and use up stuff and then return it!" is rather small than say compared to the people who actually have a legitimate excuse. I wanna say this % is in the single digits. Yeah people abuse our generous return policy, but it's not as great of a number as you think.
    Yet you'd think that this % is alot higher than what it is really when you look at alot of the crap we put out for sale at each Garage Sale.

Man I hate working those. Especially those ones we have right after xmas. People waiting out in line all night long bundled up and sweating and drinking ALOT of coffee. You cram all those ****ers into the back and the place SMELLS!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yet you'd think that this % is alot higher than what it is really when you look at alot of the crap we put out for sale at each Garage Sale.

Man I hate working those. Especially those ones we have right after xmas. People waiting out in line all night long bundled up and sweating and drinking ALOT of coffee. You cram all those ****ers into the back and the place SMELLS!!!
    I've been a member for about 10 years and never hit a garage sale. The stories about them are enough to keep me away.

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by westin
    I've been a member for about 10 years and never hit a garage sale. The stories about them are enough to keep me away.
    Yeah I don't blame you. I've spoken with other members too that don't want to come to our Garage Sales. I think I'm in my 9th year there and I've worked many of these and unfortunately we can't seem to make this thing work exceptionally well to please everyone. If you don't get in line at like 2am on Thursday and are stuck near the Chevron, you're pretty much screwed. I just go home feeling like crap afterwards. But suprsingly our recent Garage Sales have exceeded our projected budgets. Go figure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    [QUOTE=BelaySlave]Yeah I don't blame you. I've spoken with other members too that don't want to come to our Garage Sales. QUOTE]

I worked for REI in Portland years ago, in the late 80's. It was the Jantzen Beach store, I think the store is no longer there, flooded by the Columbia River.

Anyway, then the Garage sale was known as a B93 sale (cause of the price ending in .93and the code for return)
    The prices were killer, but there weren't the huge crowds of people there are now. I went to a garage sale in Missoula a few weeks ago. Never again!
    Joe Fisher
    Kalispell, MT
    Rocky Mountain ETSX-30
    Kona Hot

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    awd ---

This is FearM9 from BroncoCountry. I say stick with the DB from Reeds like I said in my post from yesterday.
    Hey whats up man

As for me I'm 20. Me and all my buddies are all car guys so no, I don't have any friends that really know anything about bikes. And bikes have changed quite a bit since I was a kid. As for my build, I'm 6' about 220. The whole reason I became interested in mtn biking is to help get my cardio up while giving my legs a workout (have firefighter test coming up in september). I have an EMT class in june so that somewhat limits what I'm able to spend. Thats why I want to keep it around 500 and upgrade when I need to/have the money to spend. So really I was wondering which one of those bikes will be able to handle what we have hear with out being destroyed but still allow me to upgrade as I go. The hardrock and response (and the response is orange BelaySlave ) seem to be about the same and both have disk brakes. While the rockhopper doesn't have disk brakes its suposed to have overall better componets.

I went to the georges in meridian last week and they had a hardrock sport disk on sale for around 375 or so. I really liked Reeds and the response sport at reeds but the deal wasn't as good as at georges. I didn't really see anything I liked at Bobs. I plan hitting the georges on state st monday to see if they have anything different or any better deals. I did check out the statesman but like I said when it comes to bikes I'm a little behind so I don't know which are any good or good deals.

Coors, the american beer.
    disc brakes arent that important unless youre riding in wet weather

im guessing you got a dsm ... any pics? Im a honda guy myself good to see some other young folks on mtbr even though i live in CA ... im 21
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Melt

im guessing you got a dsm ... any pics? Im a honda guy myself good to see some other young folks on mtbr even though i live in CA ... im 21
    I used to have pics up on my buddies server but it went down and he doesn't really care to get it back up. Its black cherry talon 1st gen if that gives you any idea. Maybe I'll be able to get some of my friends interested and on here. Anything done to your honda?

Coors, the american beer.
    basic bolt ons ... its a 96 integra ls with a short ram, dc 4-2-1 ceramic header, and had an apexi n1 exahust till the pipe fell off on the highway ... also has civic si rims and is dropped on h&r sports

AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

26er

dust collector maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Melt
    disc brakes aren't that important if you leave your bike in the garage all the time and let it collect dust. If not then a front disc at that the very least.. it has been a really long time since I did not have disc..

oh and don't buy specialized they suck donkey dick..
    Live to ride!

The Family:
    Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Norco Aline
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Good job! Ken's Bike Warehouse

Go down to Ken's (5 mile/Overland) and ride the HardRock Sport. You don't need no stinkin' discs. Finish up with a Spec. Air Force helmet for 35 clams. Tell Ken that Jeff sent you and he might throw in the airlock sealant. The RockHopper is a great bike, but you'd blow your 500.00 budget -OR- look at the Mojave line by Raleigh. 05's available w/disc brakes for around 450.00. I'll be in Tues-Wed-Thurs. if you have any questions.
    Good Luck!
    I feel a little Bucky comin' on!

King of the Barneys
    I'll second the Ken's recommendation for Specialized. And the Rockhoppers are very good starter bikes. I helped a buddy buy one at Ken's about 4 yrs ago, and it's still running strong. You can add my name, too, if you think it will help. Tell him also that Chris sent you, the guy who's Ken's age with all the red bikes. He's also really good at follow-up tuneups, warranty repairs, service after the sale.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast