The Voice of Reason

living in laramie

the riding in and around laramie looks like it's pretty good. what is the town like? i've been to casper and it was ok. kinda dirty. being as laramie has a college is it a nicer sort of town? i'm looking to move out west and there was a job opportunity that looked promising.
    I'm never gonna be a Rock Star

mtbr member
    Great riding in the area. Happy Jack, Curt Gowdy to start. Lots to explore in the Snowy Range to the west and the Laramie Peak area to the north.

Winters in Laramie are tough, be prepared. Winds AVERAGE 25 mph during the winter. Temps average less than that.

I love Laramie,

The Voice of Reason
    winter is going to be hard to get used to coming from florida. boise is also an option.
    I'm never gonna be a Rock Star

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Megashnauzer View Post
    winter is going to be hard to get used to coming from florida. boise is also an option.
    Boise is a rad place to live. Riding right out of town and much easier winter then Laramie. Town is pretty cool too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Well, summer in Wyoming is 2 weeks of damn poor ice fishin', so it all depends on your perspective now, don't it?
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hmm, Florida to Laramie... yeah, winter is going to be a harsh experience for you!

We got off a bit easy last year, didn't really have a winter winter... people say we might get slammed this year. But definitely expect more than a few days of -25 to -30 weather, not including the wind chill. Lots of wind and cold. That's usually the tough part - the cold and wind - versus snow.

Laramie is definitely nicer than Casper. It is a college town, so expect lots of drunk idiots and what not that comes along with that. Awesome location for outdoor activities, especially mountain biking. I just moved 45 miles away to Cheyenne and I miss how close Laramie was to everything (yes, I am whining about having to drive 25 miles to mountain biking instead of 10.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What sort of DH is there around the Laramie/Cheyenne area? I'm looking at a job that could possibly be in Cheyenne.

On another note, how do you like Cheyenne in general? For someone in their mid-twenties, is there much going on? Besides the obvious outdoor things (biking, climbing, etc.).

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    While I don't live in Cheyenne, I go for work maybe 6 times a year. I like it there, but not sure I would want to live there. I have friends who live there and love it. Cheyenne is a good town, might not be the best place to be if you are in your mid-20's and looking for lifestyle action. You can always live in Laramie and commute, but I 80 does close not infrequently due to weather. Its only about 45 minute drive on good roads. Ft. Collins is also another good option to live while working in Cheyenne.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Laramie, is a great place to live. I have been here awhile, tons of options for mountain biking near laramie and northern colorado. Happy Jack and the snowies also have some stellar cross country sking trails. As for downhill stuff, Curt Gowdy just recently opened middle kingdom area with tons of drops and jumps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Poolstick View Post
    On another note, how do you like Cheyenne in general? For someone in their mid-twenties, is there much going on? Besides the obvious outdoor things (biking, climbing, etc.).
    I like Cheyenne because there's actually places to shop unlike Laramie. I'm 28, but I've never been big on the social scene (bars, partying, leaving the house LOL, etc) so I have no idea how Cheyenne is in that aspect. I would say Laramie is probably better for that since it is a college town. Or Fort Collins, CO.

I guess it depends on your definition of DH and what we have to offer. If you're thinking resort kind of stuff, that's going to be in Colorado (Winter Park is probably the closest, along with Steamboat). Curt Gowdy has some play areas and like mentioned, Middle Kingdom has some jumps and what not on the descent. Death Crotch in Happy Jack has a fun, tight switchback descent on the eastern side that you could haul ass down if needed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have been living here for 5 years now and love it there is so much to do, and a great atmosphere. I have picked up so many outdoor hobbies since coming here. I'm actually just getting into mtb scene and looking for some people from the area to maybe show me around some of the areas.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I'm gonna bump this thread rather than start my own since its the same subject.
    Part 1: I'm going to be heading into Laramie the first weekend in November and I know its gonna be cold and windy and what not however there is a job opportunity there and if it works out my deciding factor in moving is how great the mtn biking is. So my question is - are there any shops in town that will rent mtn bikes and are the trails accessible from town (riding from town)? I'm going to be in a rental car and not sure if I'll even be able to fit a bike in there without taking it apart. (I could possibly bring a bike from home but is it worth the hassle for only a day of riding?)

Part 2: Also how would you describe the riding in the area? I have a hardtail XC race bike, Yeti 575, and a do it all Canfield Yelli Screamy, is the riding mostly XC style or is it rocky technical type stuff? which bike would I be using the most?

thanks for any and all input.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Happy Jack is mostly XC style with some technical trails (actually, a decent amount). Curt Gowdy is definitely rocky, technical stuff. There's also trails to the west in the Snowies that I think are a mix of both (never been there personally). I ride a 29er HT and do just fine, but I'm sure bike choice comes down to personal preference. I would say the mountain biking is pretty damn good. Curt Gowdy is rated as an "epic" trail system by the IMBA.

Happy Jack is 10 miles east of Laramie, and many people ride up there on trails that head over the mountain. Curt Gowdy is about 25 miles away, so usually you gotta drive there. The Snowies are about 30 miles west. An hour south (70 miles) is Fort Collins, CO and all their trail systems.

I'm not sure of shops that rent bikes. I think the Pedal House is renting out snow bikes this winter, but not sure about normal bikes. The two shops are Pedal House and All Terrain Sports. I have had a friend who rented from the UW Outdoor Program, but I think she might've had a personal hook up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Its kinda surprising how many people I see from Colorado riding our trails in Wyoming.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    Its kinda surprising how many people I see from Colorado riding our trails in Wyoming.
    Oh please, Colorado people are EVERYWHERE in Wyoming... our forests, our parks, our campgrounds, our hunting areas, our colleges... you'd think there was no place to do outdoor stuff (or go to college) in Colorado We are, after all, Colorado's largest state park, or so the joke goes!