mtbr member
    Jul 2010

lima/italian peaks info

I know both areas are proposed wilderness for Tester's bill but are they currently still open for riding? The only maps on the FS are for motorized use and doesn't say anything about bikes.

Curious if anyone has any info and/or has ridden in that area in the past couple years.

Thanks,
    ~Robert

mtbr member
    I don't think we're allowed to ride there anymore.

Talentless Hack
    If not allowed just ride it. It is a great ride. Little Sheep Ck is really good also.
    Sierra Club Sucks

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Italion: i ran into 6 forest service people in 2 different groups last summer, some trail crew, others biologists, and none of them knew it was closed to bikes, i know because i asked if they knew. there is zero signage. was testers bill passed as "law"? it might just be a "rule" like the various forest service district travel plans? just ride it

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    No, Tester's bill hasn't been passed, yet...

Thanks for the info guys, guess I need to make a trip down to check it out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm pretty sure those routes were closed when Tehepia (up in the Pioneers) and Gallatin Crest were closed due to Judge Malloy's ruling that wilderness study areas must be treated as de facto wilderness areas.

I'm sure GregB will eventually notice this thread and chime in...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana Rider View Post
    I'm pretty sure those routes were closed when Tehepia (up in the Pioneers) and Gallatin Crest were closed due to Judge Malloy's ruling that wilderness study areas must be treated as de facto wilderness areas.

I'm sure GregB will eventually notice this thread and chime in...
    I had heard that as well but to my knowledge this area is not designated as "wilderness study area", it's just included in the "proposed" area... But beats me.

Anyway, thanks again; glad to know I'm not the only one confused about this area. Maybe i'll call the ranger station this week and see what's up.