mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Laramie, Wy/Gowdy - what and were to ride

A buddy and I are going to stay in Laramie for a couple of days to ride around at Gowdy. Had a few questions for those around that area or who have ridden there before .

Will I be okay on a 29er carbon hardtail w/ 100mm fork, or should I rent a full suspension?

And, where else should we ride. I heard we can ride all of gowdy in a long afternoon. We are going to have a couple days in the area. What else is awesome... technically challenging... fast... and fun?

Thanks for your help.

Fat Biker
    No need to rent, hardtail with front sus works well for +95% of the riding. I live near the park, and ride most of everything rigid SS. Tie City area off of the summit between Larame and Curt Gowdy has a lot of trails too. If you want a local rider to show you around, drop me a message when you all are going to be here and I'll see if I'm free to ride

WyoRacer
    Don't be a Hater!
    SS Black Sheep Phat Speedster
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-Blog

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Awesome. Thanks for the info. We might just have to take you up on your offer.

My other question is if you think specialized s works tires will be okay out there? I have a specialized s works fast trak 2.2 in front and 2.0 in back. I know they are not that puncture resistant. They are mounted tubeless with Stan's. Is that enough traction for around there? I have a 2.1 s works ground control I could use as well. Thanks!

Fat Biker
    There are sections of the park made up of loose decomposed granite, but not all. So, with that knowledge ride what you like. I prefer a little more tread and sidewall protection. Running Maxxis Ignitors with EXO protection, but have ran Ikons which have a similar low profile tread without problems. Stans is good in case you ride off line into a cactus. Outside the park the majority of the trails are dirt
    Don't be a Hater!
    SS Black Sheep Phat Speedster
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-Blog

Granny gear grinder

Goin' to Gowdy ...

Gowdy now has more than 30 miles of purpose-built singletrack available. To cover all the trails will require some backtracking, so it might actually be closer to 35-40 miles to ride them 100%. That total does not include some of the designated "play areas," which are demarcated on the maps with red or green shading. Recommend giving those areas a try and if you do, allotting extra time for sessioning. Maps showing the lines are posted only at the entrance into the play areas.

Trail Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by StolltheMusic View Post
    And, where else should we ride. I heard we can ride all of gowdy in a long afternoon. We are going to have a couple days in the area. What else is awesome... technically challenging... fast... and fun?
    Vedauwoo is right there near Laramie and has a lot of single track. I wouldn't say it's as awesome as Gowdy is, but Gowdy is really awesome. Fort Collins, CO is just under an hour south of Laramie and has a ton of good riding as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I ride a 29er hardtail at Gowdy just fine, so you should be good to go!

I second also checking out the Tie City trailhead off of Happy Jack Rd. Not as technical as stuff found in Gowdy, but a ton of trails to explore, and still some crazy stuff. I live in Laramie, so I ride Tie City way more than Gowdy because it's only a 10 minute drive.

Here's a link to trail maps, including both places: The Pedal House, Professional Bicycle Service and Sales, Laramie, Wyoming (307) 742-5533

mtbr member
    FYI - the Forest Service has cleared out all the deadfall on the North Fork Little Laramie Trail west of Centennial. You can ride all the way to Brooklynn Lake and beyond with out portaging now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Why trail order should we ride at gowdy? I guess happy jack and Blair too? Is there a right way or wrong way?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    There is no right and wrong way... that said, I think that if you ride the northwest loop at Gowdy, then it's better counter clockwise...

Stone Temple -> Igneoramus -> Rock n' Roller -> Stone Temple -> Albert's Alley -> El Alto -> (Crow Creek? Not sure if you are actually on this trail officially) -> Mo Rocka... that's a great ride.

The southeast loop... I haven't ridden as much, it's the looser one. You can connect into it from Crow Creek onto Granite Ridge, then down onto... um... Middle Kingdom? There is a good loop there. If you get east of Crystal Reservoir, I haven't ridden the Canyons section over there, as I've heard from people who can ride that it basically unrideable.

Anyway, you could do an incredible amount of riding by starting at the Aspen lot and riding around as described above, and then linking into the southern stuff. Middle Kingdom is a grind... I've ridden that loop clockwise, and it spits you out up on top of the little quasi downhill jumpy course...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Happy Jack... sheesh, so many favorite rides... depends on how far you want to go.

The 'big' loop is fun - park at Yellow Pine campground and take the old road down, cross the creek (twice), and up, past Death Crotch and over to Blair road, then jog a bit south on Blair and hit the Headquarters (HQ) parking lot. Ride up HQ, and either go left or right past the fence at the top (I think right is more fun). Take HQ and not Summit down, as HQ from the top of Brown's Landing to the fence where it all meets up with the northern complex is some of the best trail... go through the fence and go right and go down Aspen, or don't go through the fence and go east on Summit until you hit the junction for Haunted Forest (green gate on your left), and take that down and out to the campground and your car at Yellow Pine... that's basically a 10 mile loop. You could throw on other stuff like go down haunted forest and up Aspen, then back down Middle Aspen, or toot around up top on the UW loops, etc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Blair, I'd say follow the course of the Enduro from aid station 4 to 5, if you can figure it out... check course notes/map here: Laramie Enduro

You could park at the HQ lot, or just where 707A cuts east from the Blair road... navigating might be a bit tricky without someone who has been through there, but there is some good riding back there.

North Fork trail in the Snowy Range is some of the best riding this time of year. You can either park at Little Laramie trailhead and climb out and do an out and back (all climb out, all descend back, basically), or you can shuttle a car to North Fork trailhead on the Brooklyn Lake road and end up at the little Laramie Trailhead. You can actually piece stuff together and end up in Centennial to get a pizza and a beer at the Beartree.

There is another trail we do up there south of the highway called Bear Lake, but it's a bit harder to describe... there is a little bit of bushwack.