Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Knobby Tires Avimor Finals-Aug 15th

Just a note that the Knobby Tires Finals at Avimor is scheduled for the 15th. The course has been laid out with a few arrows and sprinkler flags. Race starts at the park...for more information please refer to the knobby tire web site
    http://www.knobbytireseries.com/

thx Alex

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    update: Broken Spoke Crew has been cleaning up Spring Creek

Start is at the park near the soccer field and head North, wind torwards the bottom of Spring Creek and head south over the connector hump to the main trail head, then short asphalt climb (helps break up the field), decend down to Broken Horn and climb to the top, get ready for fast decent down Spring Creek and back to the start for the next lap like the world cup.

Again Avimor will be providing a post race band starting at 6:30PM, New Belgium Brewing will provide a keg of Fat Tire so it should be a good time.

We understand that the youth soccer and football is in full swing so we are booking the start time as 5:30 PM. Fly Racing will bring some shade canopies and some sweet gloves for raffle prizes. We are also working on a food vendor and it looks like we'll have a taco truck headed up.

thanks,
    Hal

mtbr member

5:30!?

How many of our racers are really playing youth soccer or football? I think that you will lose most of your out of town racers with such a late start time. It will force them to have to stay overnight now.
    The awards won't be over until midnight!
    We will also be racing during the hottest part of the day. Should be fun!
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hi BoiseBoy,

The majority of racers in Idaho come from the Treasure Valley area and a lot of those participate in youth sports program from the coaching / supportive role as parents. With the early starts times the out of towners often get hotels the night before the race so that maybe a wash for them (we only called 20 out of town folks before picking the start time all liked the idea, I'm sure some won't like it). Unfortunately we can not please everyone but at least we trying something different and if people don't like it we won't do it again.

The temperature has been concern of ours and one reason we went to the world cup style of short course multiple laps which equals passing the feed zone more times. Awards will be swift so everyone can enjoy the band and make an evening of relaxing on the grass.

Thanks,
    Hal

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Good call on the start time, H. You need to remember that a large quantity of people who post here are NOT parents and have absolutely NO clue what it means to have a child.

Forecast: Saturday: A 20 percent chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a high near 76.

Cool enough for you Boise Boi?

Weather, schmether. If you can't ride in 100 degree heat, you should move elsewhere.

I'm just sayin'.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Being that it is a final race what is the course layout like far as difficulty as in the climbs etc etc, i have never rode over there.

mtbr member
    typical foot hills; lots of up followed by lots of down in sage brush. A lot of the course is double track. There is a handful of rocky technical single track that makes it all worth it. They have rerouted the course since I rode it last year so take with a grain of salt.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Allikat, i will just go ride it tomorrow

BTW here is a map of there trail system online: http://www.avimor.com/documents/avimor-trail-map.pdf

mtbr member
    when are you riding? I'm going to try to sneak out of work and preride the course around noon

mtbr member
    I am "on call" til 10am then i am free so whenever.

jalepenio jimenez

It looks like R2R has some new competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M.
    Thanks for the info Allikat, i will just go ride it tomorrow

BTW here is a map of there trail system online: http://www.avimor.com/documents/avimor-trail-map.pdf

Wow, that is some map. I'm wondering if Bill the Cat had anything to do with that while tripping on some good Sandoz?
    Or is it just someone's wild dream? Fifteen named trails. I realize some (and maybe most) are existing roads, but still, do all these trails actually exist?
    I dig, chop, strangle, yank, stomp, annihilate, mutilate, eradicate, and FU goatheads

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Topo Map of the Knobby Tire Finals Race

Have a look at the topo map for the final race of the season.

Also, the attached elevation graph is not 100% correct because the climb at 1.83 miles is not going to be included in the course...but close enough for most folks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Idaho racing is really suffering. I hope all ten folks have a blast. I barely make it to noon with out beer, I cant imagine waiting till after 8pm on a weekend.
    ATV = fat A$$

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Coyote Classic used to be fun when the course was only legal for one week a year. Now that it is an *ahem* authorized trail system, it's "not all that". But it's fun if you've never been there before.

Last fall, when Avimor published it's first map, it was obvious that they drew the map before they did the trails. There was no signage, the trails were still dirt paths (narrow, shaggier and more fun) and it was fun getting lost. I don't think those trails that go to Stack Rock (14 and 15) actually exist. When we did it last year, we portaged the last bit to the top and decided to go back home via SSC and drive back to Avimor to fetch the car. I doubt Avimor has a recreation easement to the private land Stack is on. But then WFT do I know?

Speaking of the Special Olympics, I had an interesting encounter the other night. Riding from the moto parking lot to the climb up #4 to the top of SW, I looked across the gulch. I saw this fellow, maybe 25 years old, wearing a pair of baggy white shorts with tropical icons all over it, no shirt, a skateboard helmet (unclipped) and an arm length tattoo thingy all Brad Walton wannabe. His bike was on the side of the trail. Now, as though that weren't silly enough, he was over there squatting like a caveman with a rock in both hands, beating on the trail.

ME (yelling): Hey! What are you doing over there? Are you changing the trail?

TATTOO LOVE BOY: Yeah. I'm trying to get this rock out.

ME: Leave the rock there. It's not your trail to change. It's fine the way it is

TLB: It's a loose rock. I keep eating sh!t on it. I need to make this trail safe. Everybody keeps eating sh!t on it. Fcuk you!

ME: Please don't do unauthorized trail work. The trail is fine the way it is.

TLB: Fcuk you! Everyone keeps eating sh!t on this trail. Everyone keeps complaining about how nobody does any trail work in this town. I need to make this trail safe! Everyone keeps eating sh!t on it. So fcuk you.

ME: Would you mind coming over here and telling me that? It's not your trail to work on. It's fine the way it is. Work on your biking skills.

TLB: Fcuk you, assh0le. Who are you to tell me what I can and can't do? I've cleaned this whole trail. I've moved all the loose rocks off it because eveyone keeps eating sh!t on it. It's clean now. So fcuk you.

ME: You've got a lot to learn son.

Yeah, riding Hulls Gulch is actually more like skidding down the gravelly sphincter of Boise. But I must admit that I do get a kick out of some the characters I see out there. And if Tattoo Love Sphincter Boy is reading this, I'll meet you at the flagpole.

It's impossible to make these things up.
    Last edited by TwistedCrank; 08-12-2009 at 02:09 PM.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    A little beer came out my nose reading your account....and by the way, it wasn't a skate helmet old man, it was a ski helmet. The tats were a sleeve stolen from the seatbag on EP's cruiser. Just sayin....
    [SIZE="3"]...The Dude abides...[/SIZE]

jalepenio jimenez
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    Coyote Classic used to be fun when the course was only legal for one week a year. Now that it is an *ahem* authorized trail system, it's "not all that". But it's fun if you've never been there before.

Last fall, when Avimor published it's first map, it was obvious that they drew the map before they did the trails. There was no signage, the trails were still dirt paths (narrow, shaggier and more fun) and it was fun getting lost. I don't think those trails that go to Stack Rock (14 and 15) actually exist. When we did it last year, we portaged the last bit to the top and decided to go back home via SSC and drive back to Avimor to fetch the car. I doubt Avimor has a recreation easement to the private land Stack is on. But then WFT do I know?

Speaking of the Special Olympics, I had an interesting encounter the other night. Riding from the moto parking lot to the climb up #4 to the top of SW, I looked across the gulch. I saw this fellow, maybe 25 years old, wearing a pair of baggy white shorts with tropical icons all over it, no shirt, a skateboard helmet (unclipped) and an arm length tattoo thingy all Brad Walton wannabe. His bike was on the side of the trail. Now, as though that weren't silly enough, he was over there squatting like a caveman with a rock in both hands, beating on the trail.

ME (yelling): Hey! What are you doing over there? Are you changing the trail?

TATTOO LOVE BOY: Yeah. I'm trying to get this rock out.

ME: Leave the rock there. It's not your trail to change. It's fine the way it is

TLB: It's a loose rock. I keep eating sh!t on it. I need to make this trail safe. Everybody keeps eating sh!t on it. Fcuk you!

ME: Please don't do unauthorized trail work. The trail is fine the way it is.

TLB: Fcuk you! Everyone keeps eating sh!t on this trail. Everyone keeps complaining about how nobody does any trail work in this town. I need to make this trail safe! Everyone keeps eating sh!t on it. So fcuk you.

ME: Would you mind coming over here and telling me that? It's not your trail to work on. It's fine the way it is. Work on your biking skills.

TLB: Fcuk you, assh0le. Who are you to tell me what I can and can't do? I've cleaned this whole trail. I've moved all the loose rocks off it because eveyone keeps eating sh!t on it. It's clean now. So fcuk you.

ME: You've got a lot to learn son.

Yeah, riding Hulls Gulch is actually more like skidding down the gravelly sphincter of Boise. But I must admit that I do get a kick out of some the characters I see out there. And if Tattoo Love Sphincter Boy is reading this, I'll meet you at the flagpole.

It's impossible to make these things up.
    Mighty fine rant. Or b.s. Whatever it is. Might be your finest.
    I dig, chop, strangle, yank, stomp, annihilate, mutilate, eradicate, and FU goatheads

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudflap
    Mighty fine rant. Or b.s. Whatever it is. Might be your finest.
    oo
    hhhh no sir

T-crank wuz there...

i seen him

mtbr member
    meanwhile, back at the discussion intended by this post....

I rode the course yesterday. It is a lot of fun. The rocky climb is a hoot. The back stretch is kind of boring rolling blah but will be a good passing area. The descent through the canyon is great. Looks like the mandatory walk from a year ago is not manditory? That is great cause it is all rideable.

The course was a little rough to figure out. you head up the paved road and will eventually see a marker. When you roll down the dirt access road, you do cross the private property sign. At the mud crossing, go straight. you'll see a sign in a while. I never quite figured out what was going on down at the bottom of the descent when you get to the start finish area. I figure it will be clearer on race day.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    Speaking of the Special Olympics, I had an interesting encounter the other night.
    I think you should have gotten all Rowdy Roddy Piper on his pooper.

And stay the hell out of my seatbag. Or any other sack that I may own or be attached to.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    I think you should have gotten all Rowdy Roddy Piper on his pooper.

And stay the hell out of my seatbag. Or any other sack that I may own or be attached to.

sooo, after the longest fight scene ever..

what did he see when he had the glasses put on him?

jalepenio jimenez
    Quote Originally Posted by AlliKat
    meanwhile, back at the discussion intended by this post....

I rode the course yesterday. It is a lot of fun. The rocky climb is a hoot. The back stretch is kind of boring rolling blah but will be a good passing area. The descent through the canyon is great. Looks like the mandatory walk from a year ago is not manditory? That is great cause it is all rideable.

The course was a little rough to figure out. you head up the paved road and will eventually see a marker. When you roll down the dirt access road, you do cross the private property sign. At the mud crossing, go straight. you'll see a sign in a while. I never quite figured out what was going on down at the bottom of the descent when you get to the start finish area. I figure it will be clearer on race day.
    On hmillers map there are very faint arrows in the counter-clockwise direction. It appears the climb is up the spring valley creek canyon instead of down it. Is that right? I remember the canyon as the only memorable part of the whole ride, and that was down, not up.

Heads up on the goatheads. Anymore that insidious weed is everywhere. Too bad you can't smoke it.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by mudflap
    Heads up on the goatheads. Anymore that insidious weed is everywhere. Too bad you can't smoke it.
    You can but it tastes like Paraquat (N,N′-dimethyl-4,4′-bipyridinium dichloride) and all it does is give you a headache and bad acne.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    "You can but it tastes like Paraquat (N,N′-dimethyl-4,4′-bipyridinium dichloride) and all it does is give you a headache and bad acne." Sounds like meth. you could make fortune. I have a bumper crop drying in my wheelborrow.

I didn't see any goatheads when riding. Stans is a goodthing though.

All the marker arrows point you counter clock wise. That has you go down spring creek, the same direction as spring 2008 for the downhill through the rocky canyon single track. You get to double your fun going up a new rocky climb.

jalepenio jimenez
    Thanks for trying it and passing that on. Beer flushes most of that crap out of your system. By the way.

jalepenio jimenez
    Quote Originally Posted by AlliKat
    All the marker arrows point you counter clock wise. That has you go down spring creek, the same direction as spring 2008 for the downhill through the rocky canyon single track. You get to double your fun going up a new rocky climb.
    I've been a little dazed and confused as of late. I think the "new rocky climb" is what I've descended before and anymore, I don't know what I'm talking about. Thought the race route went clockwise until I saw hmiller's map.

I took another look at hmillers map. I am afu. Same downhill through the canyon as before, only now a different course sometime in the last couple years, I think. It used to run north of there with the canyon on the southern end. And clockwise. Guess I've been nowhere for too long.
    Last edited by mudflap; 08-13-2009 at 12:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast