mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Kirkwood ridge via 206 / Beaver Creek (New Hebgen Loop for me, no pixels)

So camped out on Beaver Creek Sat Night and self-shuttled my car to Kirkwood trailhead and backtracked via bike the 7 miles to the 206 trailhead.

On Sunday I took off from my campsite at the trailhead, and rode Cub/Red Canyon 206 trail past Axolotl Lake, past the Cabin Creek cutoff to Kirkwood downhill.

The first mile or two of trail were open to 4x4, but then it switched to singletrack / motorcycle only.

The singletrack and views were really nice until about 1.5 miles before Cabin Creek cutoff. At that point the trail got faint at times and the trail was super-rocky HAB-style with lots of short climbs and drops. After the Cabin Creek cutoff the climb up to the top of the Kirkwood seemed to go on forever, but the downhill was pretty sweet -- if a bit short given all the effort to get there.

The upper half was sage lined long cross-cut fun switchbacks with killer views. It felt like what Rock Creek (the last downhill on Curly) would ride like with better trail placement and flow.

The lower section slightly more technical rocky trail following the creekbed in a canopy of 4 ft tall thimbleberry bushes.

Conditions were dusty but pretty darn nice -- trail would definitely be better after a rain (hero dirt)

There was a horse trail off to the left before the true Kirkwood downhill that was marked no moto (lots of horse travel/signs). It wasn't on my map, so not sure where it goes (looked like it dropped in towards the Kirkwood ridge) but it looked tight and steep and could be worthy downhill too.

I'm undecided if I'd re-ride this as a loop, or just do the Kirkwood section as out-and-back.

A little bit of trail maintenance on that 1.5 mile stretch would do wonders. Someone (on motorcycle?) has been doing a lot of chainsaw work back there as there were only 2 or so downed trees for the duration.

I'd also like to give Cabin Creek a run too... I'm thinking 206->Cabin Creek would be a little shorter / less climbing, but still quite scenic.

RE: wildlife, I saw a 3 hunters, a big bull elk, a female elk and a bunch of sage grouse -- thankfully no bear, though saw a few prints/scat.
    Last edited by Montana Rider; 09-17-2012 at 08:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    sounds like a neat area. where is the general area you are talking about?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    sounds like a neat area. where is the general area you are talking about?
    Beaver Creek / Kirkwood is on the North side of Quake / Hebgen Lake (and not too far from Sheep/Mile Creek)

The Bermuda triangle of killer singletrack...

mtbr member
    Nice. How many miles and/or how long did it take?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
    Nice. How many miles and/or how long did it take?
    Using the 1 pinky finger = 1 mile scale on the BZN/BS mtb map, the singletrack was around 13 miles. The road section about 7.5 miles.

I was going slow (smokey and still out of shape) and didn't have a watch but think 3-4 hours for the in-shape crew would do it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana Rider View Post
    Beaver Creek / Kirkwood is on the North side of Quake / Hebgen Lake (and not too far from Sheep/Mile Creek)

The Bermuda triangle of killer singletrack...

southwest montana i take it then? I will have to try and get there someday.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana Rider View Post
    Using the 1 pinky finger = 1 mile scale on the BZN/BS mtb map, the singletrack was around 13 miles. The road section about 7.5 miles.

I was going slow (smokey and still out of shape) and didn't have a watch but think 3-4 hours for the in-shape crew would do it.
    5 hours without a shuttle for the in-shape crew, shave an hour if you go down Cabin Creek vs. Kirkwood. Cub and Axolotl are the bermuda triangle of bears, not much human traffic in there.