mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Kellogg Idaho Trails - Not lift assist

We are in Kellogg for a few days and the gondola is not running on those days. I'm assuming there are other decent XC trails to ride in/near Kellogg? Can anyone share some names and locations?

My buddy is riding the RideIdaho road bike event so we won't be looking for something too long or steep but something in the 10-15 mile range with close to 2,000-ish feet of climbing. Or something in that neighborhood.

Thanks in advance.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Lost Creek is a fun one, up out of Kingston. I will have to dig around in my files for directions etc. There is also riding up on the N Fork of the CDA river; Independence Creek - I haven't done those myself but that may give you some search terms to use.

edit
    Lost Creek Idaho Trail Reviews
    Coeur d’Alene River Trail to Jordan Camp Idaho Trail Reviews
    Coeur d'Alene River Trail 309 back Idaho Trail Reviews
    Coeur d'Alene River trail, Devil tr down Idaho Trail Reviews

Still looking for Independence Creek - I'm sure someone will chime in.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Lost Creek is about 22mile loop with about 3500 feet of climbing if you ride up and don't shuttle.

The drive up to the top of Devil's Peak has a section that is a single lane road with few pullouts and a big drop off. If you do the full loop, GPS data says around 4000+ feet of vert climbed. As the review says, the trail is narrow after Alden Creek. In fact, after Deer Creek it has not been cleared of dead fall.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    up the cda river you have lots of trails. graham, coal, lost creek, cda river trail, devils peak, indenpendance creek.

Most of these can be done as an out and back, but they are best done as loops with lots of road riding or shuttling.

in the valley there are lots of trails between the cda river and the st joe,
    These trails will be lots of climbing and rocky with lots of 4 wheeler activity. But check out graham mtn, cranky gulch out of moon pass and lake elsie has some trails, upper glidden out of cooper pass is sweet but you need a shuttle.

your best bet is to grab a forest service map in silverton and go explore. you are in the silver valley, where there is a lot of motorized recreation and those trails will get you to some great places.