mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Kalispell trail conditions and rides query

Hi all,
    My wife and I will be spending a week in Kalispell, MT at the end of the month. We were hoping to be able to trail ride a day or two while we are there.
    How are trail conditions right now? Any recommendations on where to ride? She rides a hardtail 29er and I'll be on my fatbike for what that's worth. Bringing snowshoes is also an option.
    Also, anything else we should check out while we're there?
    Thanks!
    Fixing bikes for a living in Montana

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I can't speak for kalispell, but near whitefish (15 miles north and a bit snowier) all the trails that have not had sun on them have up to a foot of snow or inches of ice. Some trails that are exposed to the south have melted out but are wet. We are supposed to get a warm wet week this week so that should help. Normally most trails around here don't clear out till well into april down low and up higher months later.
    A fat bike might be key on some of the groomed snomo trails as they will still be covered.

There is always snowshoeing in glacier or up big mtn

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    @threepin, thanks. That's good to know. Barring any major snow the next two weeks, do you think lower elevation trails will be clear and dry enough?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i guess so , particularly with wide tires, the forecast for the next 2 weeks is warm, hard to believe it will continue. for riding near kalispell i would check out lone pine state park and heron park. The problem is that around here almost all the trails are at the fringes of the valley where there is more snow. This afternoon i rode along whitefish lake and at the upper valley bottom everything had about 8 inches of corn snow with more in the woods and north facing areas, south facing was almost bare to 3500 ft. I would just ask again closer to when you come, we can help you find something fun to do. Also KNTR on here i believe lives in kalispell so he may be able to help if i am traveling and don't see your posts. Do try to get into glacier if you can as this time of year it is special.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Awesome, thanks for the help. We have talking about visiting and possibly moving to the area for ~8 months. Excited to finally make it up there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i hope you enjoy your visit, its a great area to live, lots of open space, not too many people. I like the climate, a good winter with a fair amount of snow, spectacular summers. If you need sun in the winter then this may not be the place. Shoulder seasons are long and the worst months of the year are june and november- great times to travel.

mtbr member
    Beardance Trail and Phillips Trail are both dry for about 3 miles up. I made it to the lookout today. PM me and Ill show you the goods.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i am amazed at how much melted this week, cleared a trail of blowdown near home yesterday and was surprised to find it 99% melted-south facing slope 3400-3700 ft.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    We have had a lot of melt off this week as well. Between that and the wind, the first wildfire of the season started yesterday. 750+ acres burned in 12 hours.
    Anyway, we leave next Saturday and are planning out the week. Thanks for all the good information!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Looks like the weather may cooperate for your trip. The past week has been unusually cold and will persist through the weekend. The current prediction is for a clearing and warming trend the early part of next week. As for places to ride, I would second what everyone else has said. I live in SoKal (South Kalispell) and we currently have ho snow on the ground. Herron Park looked snow free from what I could tell driving past it last weekend. At the very least, you could ride up the ridge on the double track. The single track in the trees might be pretty muddy or even still holding snow, hard to say having not been out for a ride there yet. I would expect line Lone Pine State park to be free of snow, but it may be muddy. The last I heard, The Whitefish Trail (one of our newest and best trail) still had a foot of snow on it, but that was three weeks ago. I would suggest checking with one of the local shops -Wheatons in Kalispell or Glacier Cyclery in Whitefish for conditions (disclaimer, I work for neither but they are both solid shops).

As for other options...Kalispell has a great bike path that while not a "mountain bike" trail" allows a nice ride and is a good way to explore some of the valley. Also, there is a trail out of Bigfork, along the river. It is flat and non-technical, but very scenic. At least both of those trails would get you out. This time of year the pickings are slim.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your visit. Threepin was spot on with his description of the valley. It is a great place to live, but has a few minor drawbacks like anyplace else. Let me know if I can help with any other info.

The

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks again for all the great info. We just rolled into town after 16 hours in the car. If you see a couple on a black Pugsley and a grey Niner, stop and say hi.

mtbr member
    I will be riding Beardance and Phillips Trail tomorrow. We did almost 10 miles in the mountains a couple days ago.