Chris Bling

Job opportunity in Wyoming. Where to live?

Hey Everyone,

There is a possibility that I might find myself moving to Wyoming. The job is sales related, so I would be able to relocate pretty much anywhere in Wyoming. Where are the best places for mountain biking and skiing?

I have never spend any time in these neck of the woods so any help or direction would be great

Thanks in advance!
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Jackson or Laramie are the two that come to mind. Jackson certainly has better skiing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Jackson if you can afford it.

Otherwise, look at Cody and Sheridan.
    2013 Salsa Horsethief 2

beater

Job opportunity in Wyoming. Where to live?

Or Lander.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    star valley is pretty sweet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Take a look at Driggs, Idaho. 12 miles to Grand Targhee Resort, sits on the Idaho side of the Tetons, has a growing bike culture and quick access to the all the goodness of Jackson without the higher cost of living. Any way you look at it, these areas come at an inflated price. Driggs is 32 miles from Jackson.

Average Current Housing Prices as listed by Truila
    Driggs, Idaho: $401,248

Jackson, Wy: $933,500

Lander, Wy $316,282

Star Valley, Wy: $271,967

Driggs, ID is 21.8% less expensive to live in than Jackson, WY.
    You would need to make $39,087 in Driggs, ID compared to $50,000 in Jackson, WY to maintain the same standard of living. Jackson also brings a huge influx of tourists, a good and bad thing.

We make two trips each summer to Jackson for the trails and freeride stuff at Teton Village and The Pass since the downhill is more enjoyable than the uphill. The outdoor splendor surrounding Jackson is something to behold. Both sides of the Tetons are fantastic. Some days it gets pretty darn cold outside.

mtbr member
    I would seriously consider moving from Bozeman to Driggs if I could find work there and convince the wife to do the same.

The Star Valley is also really really pretty but maybe a bit too small and too mormon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Where did you settle on??? I' m in the same boat now. I'd love to go Driggs or Jackson but my sales job has 15 Wyoming Stores but 4 in Nebraska. So it may be a bit un-realistic for me to go that far west. Let me know what you came up with!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yeah Im curious too where you ended up Dusty Duke. Laramie is great option. You have the snowy range to the west and Laramie Range to east plus Northern Colorado trails to the south. Tons of options for mtb & xc sking. Cant beat that.

addicted to chunk
    I was working in Jackson area last week, great scenery and folks seemed pretty friendly, supposed to be lots of great riding too, but housing prices seemed astronomical.
    Riding.....

all about the ride down
    Apr 2008
    I live in Jackson. Housing is tough. Not much available and prices are high.
    Victor is a great option. Great riding and skiing.
    The More People I Meet the More I Prefer Dogs!

donkey
    Victor is a great option if you don't mind driving the pass (which you'll be doing a lot if you're working in Wyoming). For daily commuters, pass commuting turns out to be a losing game.

mtbr member
    I've lived in Cheyenne and Laramie. Both have great biking options nearby. Many people do not tolerate the long winters and cold though, so skiing or fat biking is a must.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    For some living in victor is a losing game, but for many of us it's quite bearable. I play on the pass on the way to work winter and summer. When I lived in Jackson, I was driving up the pass to play anyway. Living over here is a 45 min drive from work and I'd rather not have to drive the pass for work, but it's manageable. Living in teton valley Id, imo, is worth the commute over living in Jackson.
    The fact that the work is possibly through out WY, I wouldn't live in the jackson area. There are much more centrally located possibilities. Jackson and the Bedroom communities are great and beautiful, but we're a ways from anywhere. That being said there are a few sales reps in the area, they simply have to deal with being away from home for extended periods.