cdouble
    Jul 2007

Jackson trip in June - Need Advice

I am taking a family trip to Wyoming in June and thinking about adding a day of local riding onto the front or back of the trip:
    - Arrive Jackson on June 22 (spending first night in Cowboy Village)
    - Depart Jackson on June 29 (spending last night in Colter Bay Cabins)

I am a sport-class XC rider, looking for some good flow and scenery. I'll be riding solo, probably a 2-3 hour ride. I normally ride a 29" hard tail (geared and SS). Wife and daughter would probably do some local shopping while I ride. I will have a rental car so could maybe arrange a shuttle with wife and daughter, but would prefer an out-and-back or lollipop type thing.

Any advice on local trails and bike rentals is appreciated! Also what would I expect for trail conditions that time of year...

Thanks,
    Chris
    cdouble

http://mo7s.blogspot.com

"It never gets easier, you just go faster"
    Greg LeMond

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Cache creek would the easiest and closest to shopping. Putt to cahe to game to west game and down ferrins would probably take about 2-3 hours and be fairly friendly to a hard tail. Teton pass has also got a good amount of riding, but is further from shopping and rockier. With cache creek you could also just ride into town and find your family.

Good luck

Your Best Friend
    Do this ride!

Jackson Hole by silentfoe at Garmin Connect - Details

Let me know if the link doesn't work. It starts right out of town and encompasses some incredible singletrack. That time of year, the wildflowers will be amazing. The only downside is the possiblity of snow/mud in the higher elevations at that time of year. I ride in the area a ton and I LOVE this trail network.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

Laramie, Wyoming
    Both of the above guys are talking about the same area and it would be a good place. Your wife and daughter could drop you off at the Cache Creek trailhead and they might enjoy walking around on the trail next to the creek for a few minutes. They could later take the chairlift up Snowking (it is the ski hill right in town) and meet you at the top. They would enjoy the view.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Drop a line when you get closer, these trails are literally my 'backyard'. I'd be happy to go for a spin.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

cdouble
    Jul 2007

Re: Jackson trip in June - Need Advice

@rideit - thanks for the offer, great to have a local connection.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    cdouble

Greg LeMond

Laramie, Wyoming
    cdouble, too bad you aren't going in the winter. The riding in Jackson is pretty good right now.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    My renter (Aaron) snowboarded the Grand yesterday, so yes, the riding IS good!
    2012/13 JH/Tetons/Targhee/Towgotee Conditions Thread - Page 25

His pics are awesome.

And then we eat them."

Your Best Friend

How much of the trail system was effected by the fire last fall?
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Less than 4 miles, and to be honest, most of that kinda sucked, and needed reroutes. At least 1 mile has been rebuilt, and I would expect that the rest will be much improved by the time we are in full riding season. Most of the damage was in a drainage that most local riders rarely rode to begin with.
    In other words, not enough damage to really be concerned with in any way. The new tread we worked on last fall goes right through one of the most intense burn zones, which is going to be wicked cool to watch re-vegetate.

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Do this ride!

Jackson Hole by silentfoe at Garmin Connect - Details

Let me know if the link doesn't work. It starts right out of town and encompasses some incredible singletrack. That time of year, the wildflowers will be amazing. The only downside is the possiblity of snow/mud in the higher elevations at that time of year. I ride in the area a ton and I LOVE this trail network.
    Hi. I will be camping with a family group in July from Salt Lake and should have probably 2-3 days to ride. This loop sounds great in terms of distance and elevation gain and I have ridden part of it before and enjoyed it (Cache to Game singletrack I think). I don't have a garmin - how could I get specifics of this route without GPS and what other routes between 16-25 miles and 3500 -5000 ft elevation gain - Enduro style to singletrack, should be on our to do list.
    Thanks for any input you can provide.
    Paul

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I am heading next week out to J Hole, would love to get a ride in if possible. I would need to rent a bike. I am going to be in Teton Village, and am interested in the Cache Creek system, but wonder it there are other trails to look at or consider in the village. Any advice would be great, hope to get some good dirt out there!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    There are very limited ride options at the Village besides the lift served. Well, none, really. You will want to check out the Pass, Phillips Ridge, The Cache/Game/Ferrin's, and if you have a car and desire for 'epic' singletrack, stuff in Idaho as well.

And then we eat them."

huckit
    May 2004
    I'll be in Jackson for the day from Tahoe, looking to ride on Monday 8-19. Anyone interested in giving a good tour of Cache Creek area (probably all I'll have time to get to)
    between 10am and 2pm? I'll be trying to rent a SC tallboy LT from Hoback for the ride...any thoughts there?

Thanks!

cdouble
    Jul 2007

I Ann the OP and I rented a tallboy from hoback in June. Was great experience, bike was in fine shape, just bring your own helmet if you can. They include in rental but pickings are pretty slim. I also brought my own pedals.

I used a trail map from Hoback and rode cache creek area no problem. Ride report at http://mo7s.blogspot.com/2013/07/ynp...-tall-one.html

Chris

cdouble
    cdouble

Greg LeMond