Interesting post on the"Save the Trails" forum

Here's the link:

Backcountry public lands designation?

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

He's been buried in work.......

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Ah, I was wondering what had happened to the Buddha man. Thanks for the link.
    and getting a little cranky........don't think he's been able to ride in a couple of weeks.

What's on your plate?
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Markv
    Ah, I was wondering what had happened to the Buddha man. Thanks for the link.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Ski season

In addition to being buried at work it is ski season and boy has it been good! I am reserving late spring for my first face plant on the bike - at least I hope it doesn't happen before.

It is now after 5:00 and I hear the sound of a cork being pulled!

Better get the wife and kid to see what I don't need at the swap.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    I love when people tell us about how environmental law works and public comment periods. It is like me telling EP about patent law and intellectual property....
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    I love when people tell us about how environmental law works and public comment periods. It is like me telling EP about patent law and intellectual property....
    Gosh. Anyone in particular?
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    After reading a couple of the replies I hope someone is taking a forestry class.

Gosh. Anyone in particular?

26er

Must be me... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    Considering the fact that I have been reading and learning about them for the past 5 years I think I have a pretty good grasp of certain aspects of enviromental law especially when it pertains to NEPA, EA, EIS, forest plans, and travel management. It doesn't take a genuis to figure it out but it certainly doesn't hurt...

Maybe I will take up forestry on the side after I finish my mba.
    Live to ride!

The Family:
    Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Norco Aline
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

Sorry Chris - "I think I have a pretty good grasp..." doesn't equal a degree in civil&environmental engineering and almost 20 yrs dealing with 40 CFR. Buddha deals with NEPA. I've written an EA and part of an two EIS. MarkV deals with other aspects of 40 CFR. We all, maybe Mark gets spared, the joy of public comment periods on a regular basis.

I really need to go back to decaf

I do pity Buddha...the rule he has to implement really is tedious, and a technical challenge...which more than likely I'll have to play a part in.

26er

Since...

Since...Budda was not the only person commenting on the topic, it was pretty relevant material for the others on the topic.

Well it is impossible for me to have 20 years of experiance on nepa and those other fun topics, since I would have been 7 when the budda fist started learning about them. We really didn't cover this kind of stuff in elementry school.

Nothing against old guys, but I find it kind of ridiculous that the person with 20 years of experiance automatically knows more than someone with just a couple of years of experiance. Since the person with 20 years experiance might be in so deep of a trench that they can't see the new ideas just on the surface.

Either way a lot of this stuff is pretty easy to grasp for an intelligent person...
    Live to ride!

The Family:
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Norco Aline
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

what is experiance?

Quote Originally Posted by smilycook
    Well it is impossible for me to have 20 years of experiance on nepa and those other fun topics, since I would have been 7 when the budda fist started learning about them. We really didn't cover this kind of stuff in elementry school.

Nothing against old guys, but I find it kind of ridiculous that the person with 20 years of experiance automatically knows more than someone with just a couple of years of experiance. Since the person with 20 years experiance might be in so deep of a trench that they can't see the new ideas just on the surface.

Either way a lot of this stuff is pretty easy to grasp for an intelligent person...
    Maybe after 20 years of experience you will be able to spell experience.

20 years of experience is not the same as 5 years of experience. While new ideas are not the proprietory property of the young, they aren't limited to them also.

Who said we automatically knew more? I stated that I had a lot of experience in the environmental field and that 5 years of learning did not equate to nearly 20 years of experience, ungoing education, and well 14 years of just plain ol' conflict management. Geez, I think I have spent a year of just dealing with public comments, responses to public comments, and public hearings.

My original post was born out of a frustration of watching people in general (not just you) comment on and try to deal with environmental law. It is like watching a car accident in slow motion. Painful. You wish you could help them, but it is too late. They present a position which at first sounds reasonably...but then BOOM. It explodes on them. I've seen attorneys do it. I've seen politicians do it. I've seen ranchers do it. I've seen environmental advocacy groups do it. I've seen the environmental heads of really big corporations do it. Hell, I've done it. Hehe, but not that often....but then again...it doesn't happen that often with the attorney or environmental managers...but every so often...like you said... I get a fresh idea/interpretation...and boom...which may be good or bad for them....depending on the situation.

Good luck with your MBA.

mtbr member
    hmm...experience really isn't that tricky of a word to spell..

3 times...spelled wrong the same way each time..

nice proofreading boisematt...i'm a terrible proofreader...i read right over stuff...a skimmer, if you will.

i'm just a stupid engineer...but in my short time working..i've already found out that the general public knows more than any engineer, ever..just watch a city council meeting on tuesday nights. it's funny to watch an experienced engineer give his/her testimony and to have a neighbor or a council member tell them they are wrong....

life's just a game...just play along...

I am waiting for the sub....it can be even the yellow submarine.

Aren't hearings fun Garnet!!! I can always feel the love when I go to them.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    If Smilycook had a bit more humility he probably wouldnít be so off-putting.

As it is his knowledge of environmental law and landuse issues merely comes across as being about as deep as a birdbath.

I still chuckle at a post of his where he didnít know the difference between the US Forest Service and the US Park Service.

Thatís ok. Heís young and inexperienced but he does have good intentions. I hope he does learn some lessons without too much pain.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

SRP only please. I tire of the non-SRP topics. They don't make me laugh. I know it irritates Zebdi, but they less serious.

Serious topics should be:

Tire Choices;
    Brandi;
    Which brake pads last the longest with such and such a brake.
    Pics & discussion of people's crashes (yes other people's pain can be educational);
    Which store has the best price on OE800;
    What your fav chardonnay is?
    How long it takes you to go through a 24-pack of toiletpaper;
    Lube (personal and bike related)
    Oddest thing you have seen while riding on the trail (pictures optional)

26er

Must be someone else..

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank

I still chuckle at a post of his where he didnít know the difference between the US Forest Service and the US Park Service.
    I popped out of the womb with that knowledge.

Yes my spelling is appalling, thank god for spell check. They need a spell check for posts.

Chris
    Live to ride!

The Family:
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Norco Aline
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail