mtbr member
    May 2007

Inaugural Owyhee 100 MTB Ride this Saturday!

I thought I'd post this idea a few friends and I came up with for this Saturday, July 7th.

A small group of riders are attempting to ride 100 miles in the Owyhees, centered on Silver City Road, but taking on some double track 4wd roads and topping out on Hayden Peak, the highest point in the Owyhees. We are going self-supported and no drop this year, but the potential is there for this to become an "official" race in future years.

We are meeting at the gas station on the corner of Highway 45 and Lakeshore road (Just south of Nampa) at 6:00 am. We will then caravan or carpool out to Silver City Road to the start. The only opportunity to resupply will be about 60 miles into the ride in Jordan Valley, so it is recommended that you are prepared to ride all day from the start. This is a self-supported group ride, not a race, and this is not an organized event and certainly not sanctioned by any organization. Weather is supposed to be very hot by afternoon, so plan accordingly.

The Garmin course map is linked below. Hope to see some riders out.
    Garmin Connect - Owyhee 100 2012

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    100 miles at 106 degrees, not very appealing IMO.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    100 miles at 106 degrees, not very appealing IMO.
    It should be much cooler than that early in the morning and also going up in elevation. Yes it will be hot when we are finishing. We may also call an audible out on the trail and head back earlier if the weather is getting really hot. Nobody is going to do anything too stupid out there.

mtbr member
    Too bad it is such short notice and on the same weekend that everybody is in SV for nationals. It sounds like it would be fun.

We did something similar to that a couple of years ago when a group of us rode to Sun Valley from Boise. It was a blast.
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Did you guys do the full 100mi?
    Could you ride that all on a cross bike?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by idahosundevil View Post
    Did you guys do the full 100mi?
    Could you ride that all on a cross bike?
    We actually only rode the first major section, and explored Silver City a bit. We skipped the long flatter section that goes over to Jordan Valley and stayed on the more elevated parts of the course. The heat was definitely a consideration and I really wasn't sure what the trails were like. The road to Silver City and some of the trails up to the peaks are probably very rideable on a cross bike. The atv and 4wd trails to the west that we rode at the beginning would likely be very tough on a cross bike. I ended up with 41 miles of serious riding, most of it climbing, and 7500 feet of elevation change for the day.

We are thinking that September may be the perfect time to attempt the full hundie. I may change it up though and just do a hard 50 miler with an out and back format. I think that would be a hoot and wouldn't alienate the good majority of local riders. It is very possible that on a 50 mile ride out there you could have 10000+ feet of elevation change and lots of beautiful riding. The Mountains surrounding the Silver City area have a lot of great trails and beautiful scenery.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Here's a view from the top of War Eagle. 28 miles into the ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Inaugural Owyhee 100 MTB Ride this Saturday!-bike-war-eagle-mtn2.jpg