Thread: Idaho Question

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Idaho Question

I will be taking a long road trip in about two weeks and am curious about the forest service road (NFD 579) between Warm Lake and Hwy 21 into Stanley. Is it paved and is it open in mid-late September?

Thanks For Your Help.

mtbr member
    Disclaimer- I've never driven the road. However, this what I've heard in the past- the road is not paved, but its passable with a Subaru despite some steep spots. It takes about the same time to drive the dirt road as it does to stay on the pavement and drive through Lowman to Banks to Cascade.

edit- there are some really nice hot springs along the way from the summit down to Lowman and Banks, so that is what lures me to drive that way.

edit again- Mid-late September should be fine

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yup, Wayndar is right on. I drove this many years ago; IIRC it's paved to Landmark then dirt to Hwy21. It's a good FS dirt road that gets quite a bit of rafting traffic during the summer but would probably be only hunters in Sept. Barring some sort of crazy t-storm or early snow it should be fine. Just call the ranger's office in Lowman or Cascade before taking off to check. It's beautiful country.

mtbr member
    The FS was replacing a culvert with a bridge over Fir Creek, the project got delayed beacuse they forgot to order materials. It was originally slated to be finished Sep. 15, but the delay may have it going a week or two later. You can still take 579, but you would have to go down Clear creek and come out at Lowman instead of going through Bruce Meadows and along Fir Creek, contact the FS to see if the road is open.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Thanks

For all of the info. I'll make sure to call the ranger station.