mtbr member
    May 2004

I took a fun ride tonight

Went up the connector trail behind Camels Back dropped down behind CBAck
    then across the ridge, up the freeway, down the connector, up Bucks, down Shanes to Rocky Canyon and out. Then climbed Table Rock pavement to back side of TR
    and dropped down to Rock Garden and over to Rock Island.

Rock Island is really fun. There are about 3 sections I didn't try or couldn't do (yet).
    but will keep practicing. Of course, someone spots me on one of the difficult rock climb ups on the right and of course I fall over to the left, and sprain my thumb!

Brad help me on the last couple of roll ins and I made them and they were fun!

Casualties: I sprained thumb. 1 skinned knee. 4 squared off large chainring teeth (a bashguard or a bike with a higher bottom bracket or both is not a bad idea!)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Nice ride. Do you wish more of tonight's ride was spent on the rocks?

I went out to Highway 16 near some redneck gunshooting BLM land. Bad move. Rode 1.5 hours and most of it was hardpack, but I went over the bars when my front wheel disappeared in a groundsquirrel hole (ravine???). Alone. Middle of nowhere. Bullets. Yep, stupid idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    then across the ridge, up the freeway, down the connector, up Bucks, down Shanes to Rocky Canyon and out. Then climbed Table Rock pavement to back side of TR

Rock Island is really fun. There are about 3 sections I didn't try or couldn't do (yet).
    but will keep practicing. Of course, someone spots me on one of the difficult rock climb ups on the right and of course I fall over to the left, and sprain my thumb!

Casualties: I sprained thumb. 1 skinned knee. 4 squared off large chainring teeth (a bashguard or a bike with a higher bottom bracket or both is not a bad idea!)

Contagious Xian
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98

Sounds fun Daryl - think I'll like it? Tell us about those 3 tough sections...

mtbr member
    May 2004

Commitment!

A tought climb up a rock that is off camber and you have to connect to another little rock, and over a very small gap I believe then once up on the big rock you're home free it looks like. It's the commitment, power and traction and angulation to get up there!

another is a skinny with a short up in the middle of it.

The other is a roll in where there is about a 6" or I foot ledge between the roll in and the tranny. I put my bike on there and would actually hit the bottom bracket anyway.
    I bet Brad or Ian could wheelie drop onto the tranny but how to get speed?

that's it that I can think of. the trail is sublime, but you WILL want a bashguard, unless you don't care about your big ring!

Hi!!!
    So were the TR trails pretty much dried out then?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yep, for the most part