Thread: I like Trail 42

More cowbell!

I like Trail 42

Maybe I'm just a jong, but I like the options the new trail gives me on my morning rides. I think the R2R boys did good!

mtbr member
    nah, you're not a jong... nor are you a dong... you just like to ride which is all good... more riding and less talking and whining is where it's at...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I'm confused.

Is it Fat Tire Trail?

Or is it ButterflyTrail?

The legacy of confusion leads to one and only once conclusion.

Fat Butt Trail.

Commercial sponsor be damned.

It's a fine trail. I rode it blindfolded other day and I could find no difference whatsoever between it at the Watchman Trail.

None. Statistically significant. Swole.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    nah, you're not a jong... nor are you a dong... you just like to ride which is all good... more riding and less talking and whining is where it's at...
    here here. We are pretty dang pampered here in this valley. We all want this and that and we all have ideas, but we are getting more access and more trail, that is something we should all celebrate.
    Lower foothills is going to be the status quo, accept that and move higher with Budda and the others if you want something different. I am still amazed daily that 20 minutes from my door and I can be on singletrack and forget that there is a city with 200,000 people just right there. 2 hours ride or 30 minute drive and I am in the trees with rocks and roots. Really, we live in a pretty dang good spot, now if only we could drop the summer temps to 85...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema
    now if only we could drop the summer temps to 85...
    That's this summer isn't it? It's been strangely cool this summer. I'm sure the string of 15 consecutive 100 degree days is coming soon, but I'm not missing them.

mtbr member
    another 'thumbs up' for #42

mtbr member
    another thumbs up. I expect it will become more technical as some of the rock exposes. It will probably rut when it rains as its grades are pretty consistent. Lower trail 5 is about like the descent from the top of corrals to bobs but can't blame that on 42.

I'd say the name is pretty officially "Fat Tire" since it is posted on the signs.

Thanks for the work R2R
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

bike me, then beer me

ditto, me likes

I am liking it, did it on my SS 29er for the first time, very nice ride. Both ways seemed to be the same. Its so close to home, it just added 30 mins to my short rides! What an evening...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I love it! It sets up a great loop - Front door to Camel's Back to 42 to Freestone to Shane's to Rocky Canyon to Watchman to Three Bears to Buck Tail to Mil Res connector to home. Almost zero repetition. Twenty-eight miles and 3800 vertical feet. Not a bad day's ride.

mtnjam
    Trail 42 is a great addition to the foothills trails, definitely makes for an easy way to connect to other trails without having to drop down low in the foothills.

Nice job R2R.

Anyone else catch the double rainbow last night at the top of Shanes?
    Just ride down there and jump off something for crying out loud...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ryman
    Anyone else catch the double rainbow last night at the top of Shanes?
    Yeah, too bad I was golfing though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Me likes

Finally rode the Fat Tire Trail on Thursday morning. What a great addition. Hopefully it will take some pressure off of Hulls Gulch during the summer months.

If you get a chance shoot Ridges to Rivers a positive note on the new trail. They hear enough negative stuff from people having a bad day. I am sure they would really appreciate hearing something positive.

And don't forget to go to the Fat Tire Festive this year so you can drink your way to a new trail next year. If you have some spare time, there is always a need for more volunteers. If you would like to volunteer, just drop me a line and I will connect you with the right person. Or just look on the SWIMBA website.

mtbr member
    A good friend and myself rode the new trail this morning and have to say it is a nice trail we both really enjoyed it

More cowbell!
    [QUOTE=. What a great addition. Hopefully it will take some pressure off of Hulls Gulch during the summer months.]

As I see it, if one rides in the early a.m. (>0600) and rides up 24 (sidewinder), to 4, to 42, and down 5 to Military Reserve, the traffic will be negligible and the flow will be good. However,if one was to go up 5 to 42, to 4, to 24 (sidewinder) and down to the "Freeway" in the same time period, one's downhill portion of the journey would be quite crowded with uphill runners and cyclists. A definate "buzz kill" to one's "flow", but worth it because it is more fun to run the whole circut counter-clockwise as opposed to clockwise. What say you? (I learned all this early morning stuff from JK5!)