mtbr member
    Sep 2005

How's the DH riding at Silver Mountain in Kellogg?

LIke the title says - I was wondering how the DH riding is at SIlver Mountain in Kellogg, Idaho? I saw that they just opened the lifts up, I'm thinking of checking it out sometime soon.

Don't worry, be happy!
    I hit it once a year or so as a crazy XC rider..... the guys wh go regularly love it. They keep adding more all the time. Your best resource would be to ask on the PNW board at ridemonkey, lots of silver regulars there.

formica

banned
    depends on what other options exist for you.

Fernie BC is superior.

Big Sky MT is superior.

but Silver Mtn is pretty fun. I spent a day there last year in August with two friends, we had a blast, and I'd go back again. It's 2.5 - 3 hrs away for me. Fernie is 4-5 hrs, Big Sky likewise.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Pretty good..

I've been ridding there for years and they've been getting better each year (especially over the past 3-4). There was a trail they added last year that was a little beyond my comfort zone - it made me pucker a bit So, for a serious downhiller it would probably be nothing but fun.

I haven't ridden yet this year, but there is what looks like a new trail on the east side of the resort. Judging from what I can see from the freeway - long, pretty straight and steeper than it looks from the road.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    depends on what other options exist for you.

Fernie BC is superior.

Big Sky MT is superior.

but Silver Mtn is pretty fun. I spent a day there last year in August with two friends, we had a blast, and I'd go back again. It's 2.5 - 3 hrs away for me. Fernie is 4-5 hrs, Big Sky likewise.
    I'm in Missoula, so Silver Mountain should only be about 2 hours away. I'm hoping Silver has some good DH, as it would be the nearest resort riding (except for Snowbowl - which I imagine is pretty boring as far as DH goes).

I rode at Big Sky a few times last summer and will definitely be going back as much as possible this year. If I remember right, Big Sky is about a 3.5 hour trip. Awesome riding at Big Sky, but the drive is too long to do every weekend.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nmjb
    I'm in Missoula, so Silver Mountain should only be about 2 hours away. I'm hoping Silver has some good DH, as it would be the nearest resort riding (except for Snowbowl - which I imagine is pretty boring as far as DH goes).

I rode at Big Sky a few times last summer and will definitely be going back as much as possible this year. If I remember right, Big Sky is about a 3.5 hour trip. Awesome riding at Big Sky, but the drive is too long to do every weekend.
    you should check it out, then. I still think that if you drive that far, though, you're almost better off going to Spo-Compton and riding Beacon Hill and, in the summer, Mt Spokane. Beacon is pedal-up but too fun for words. Mt Spokane is either pedal-up or shuttle-up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

... and if we just ...

but you get to take the gondola up at silver. thats way better. no hard work(petaling up) only fun(downhill!)

mtbr member
    Silver is great - - and getting better all the time! Last year was the first year of some serious trails. For anyone who remembers the old fireroad runs, those are gone. Yes, there are still some short connectors, but it's mostly singletrack.

Otis and the trail crew have been hard at it each week ever since the snow left, building new stuff for the following weekend.

Most noteable trails are the Hammer and Alhambra. Upper Alhambra is more XC -- lots of climbing - - but lower jumps off Hammer, takes some good routes and then dumps you back on to lower Hammer. The Hammer is about a 15-20-minute run (depending on how far you're hanging it out) that dumps out east of town on the rail trail for a short tool back to the gondola.

This Sunday (June 25th) will be a FREE race (well, except for the lift ticket; race entry is free) - - a Super-D - - using the full length of the Hammer for the course. Go to www.silvermt.com for more info.

July 8-9 is going to be Silveroxx -- two days of riding and racing. Conventional DH, Super-D, brews and a concert in the amphitheater by BC/DC. Good times!
    Yeti | RST | Hayes | SixSixOne | Royal Racing | Syncros | Twenty6 | Kenda | Bicycle Butler Spokane, WA