Nat
    mtbr member

How's the biking at Big Sky?

I'm thinking about going to Big Sky on business in mid-July. How's the riding there? The internet tells me, "Big Sky has been long known for mostly ungroomed techy trails." What do they mean by ungroomed exactly? Natural rather than flow trails, or bushwhacking down the ski run?

beater
    Take a look at Trailforks. Most of the classic trails at Big Sky are 35% fall-line runs, which is what that "ungroomed techy" refers to. The inventory has really expanded in the last few years, though. The resort has put in some flow trails, and there are plenty of backcountry XC trails in the area. You could ride from Big Sky to Hebgen Lake if you had the legs for it.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Thank you.

Would you say they're fun fall line trails?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    as evasive noted, the riding in Big Sky has grown over the past few years. from west yellowstone to big sky to bozeman you'll find any type of riding you are looking for. but many of the trails in the area do remained "ungroomed". i've never heard that term for our trails before, but i understand what they are saying. lots of steep climbs, rocks, roots and smiles. you wont have to bush whack on any of the resort trails, outside of that you can expect a hike a bike everyone once in a while. Gallatin Alpine Sports, shop in big sky, is a good resource in big sky.
    mid july is an excellent time to check out the trails, but still bring your knit cap. it could snow

Nat
    mtbr member
    Excellent, thanks.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Thank you.

Would you say they're fun fall line trails?
    Yeah, they are, if you enjoy steep and loose.

mtbr member
    The "Mountain to Meadow" trail starts at the Big Sky base area and descends to the Meadow Village about 7(?) miles away. It's a mind-blowingly fun flow trail and probably my favorite ride in the area. You can ride it as a loop from the parking lot at Gallatin Alpine Sports. The trails near Moonlight Basin are pretty buff and flowy too and a make a nice addition to the MtM Trail loop.

Some of the lift served DH trails at Big Sky are smooth and flowy but many are steep fall line things carved into piles of saucer sized sharp rock flakes.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Yeah, they are, if you enjoy steep and loose.
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-T View Post
    The "Mountain to Meadow" trail starts at the Big Sky base area and descends to the Meadow Village about 7(?) miles away. It's a mind-blowingly fun flow trail and probably my favorite ride in the area. You can ride it as a loop from the parking lot at Gallatin Alpine Sports. The trails near Moonlight Basin are pretty buff and flowy too and a make a nice addition to the MtM Trail loop.

Some of the lift served DH trails at Big Sky are smooth and flowy but many are steep fall line things carved into piles of saucer sized sharp rock flakes.
    Good info, I appreciate your replies. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    So I'm trying to figure out where to go for a long weekend two weeks from now. My kid has been loving the the flow trails at Jackson this summer, but the lift are closed now. We'll be hitting Targhee up this weekend and maybe next, but then the lifts shut down. Videos from Big Sky look like a mix of DH and flow trails.

1)Are there a couple of buff flow trails with tables to keep him busy? He's not really ready for a chunk.
    2)How big are the descents? He's still got rim brakes, I am holding off on disc wheel set.