mtbr member
    Mar 2009

How to train dog to be a good trail companion?

I just got a new dog, a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. She is 8 months old. I have never had a dog that I took mountain biking. How did you teach yours to be good on the trail? Also, how far of rides do you take your dog on? Thanks, Nick

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksstorm View Post
    I just got a new dog, a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. She is 8 months old. I have never had a dog that I took mountain biking. How did you teach yours to be good on the trail? Also, how far of rides do you take your dog on? Thanks, Nick
    Start with obedience training. Your dog must sit/stay/ come /heel on command regardless of other dogs/people/ wildlife that might be distracting it. That said obedience or good behavior is often easier to teach to a dog by example, otherwise seeing a well trained dog behaving properly.

blet drive
    howly on this board has some good advice is dog is a dope trail runner
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    THanks for the help guys. Fred-do you bring a dog on your rides? How long is too long for a dog to run? Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Like Fred said, basic obedience training, rattlesnake class (do the rattlesnake class every year). Don't take him out riding until he's closer to 2 years old and is a "1 command dog". She's a bird dog so she's going to run big so a remote collar is a must (Almer and Cary recommended the Dogtra brand so that's what we have and it's awesome!). There will be additional training required when you use the collar however.
    When my dog (Rhodesian Ridgeback) was between 2 and about 6, I would take her on 10 to 14 mile rides but always where there is water (or I would pack her water) and I would let her dictate the pace on the flats and downhills.

gringo-fied facsimiles
    this is a great age to get her out and get her used to trail life, how to interact with people, dogs, bikes, everything she will encounter on the trail. Our new pup Nigel has been hiking the trails since about 5 mos. we kept him very socialized, at 16 mos we opted to start biking with him, at this age the majority of his growth plates are suposed to be just about done doing there thing. started light, like up and down hulls, and to quote Flip, let her dictate the pace. Nigel is a great trail dog, best i have ever had, and it all comes from the dedication of the owners at a young age, training and socializing. Have fun with her, and if you need a play mate...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to train dog to be a good trail companion?-me-thenig.jpg  

http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

mtbr member
    I have my dogs trained to come whistling. When I spend consistent time outside with them, they come well. I'll use a "hey, you're doing something wrong" kind of grunt like Cesar Milan to let them know to stay close as the wander off. Seems to keep them close range pretty well. All that said, I don't take them on busy trails.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlliKat View Post
    I don't take them on busy trails.
    i try to do this too - stick to the less busy routes...

avoid confrontation and a ticket from the man