mtbr member
    Mar 2008

How Soon Can Your Ride Boise Bike Trails?

I might be able to take a trip out there in early March. Just wanted to know if the trails are usually rideable by then.

mtbr member
    Odd are good for March but it depends on the year.

Trails conditions can be found on the Ridge to Rivers website (or on their FaceBook page which is updated often)

Look out!
    We have snow this year so check back often. Could be a slop fest in March.
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Just curios - from the photos, Boise trails look awesome to ride, but I'm not seeing many trees. Does the trail system in Boise have many trees? How is it biking around the city?

Look out!
    Quote Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
    Just curios - from the photos, Boise trails look awesome to ride, but I'm not seeing many trees. Does the trail system in Boise have many trees? How is it biking around the city?

No trees in the foothills. We are at the edge of the Great Basin desert. Not enough moisture during the year. If you want to ride in the trees you can A.) Ride your bike up to them and enjoy the awesome descent. B.) Drive up to Bogus Basin, park your car and ride the trails there, but NOT in March. There will be snow up there until May or June. Riding in town is fine. We have the greenbelt path, a paved path that runs along the river from Lucky Peak Dam to Eagle. There are some bike lanes and for the most part it is an easy place to ride a bike.
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrid View Post
    No trees in the foothills. We are at the edge of the Great Basin desert. Not enough moisture during the year. If you want to ride in the trees you can A.) Ride your bike up to them and enjoy the awesome descent. B.) Drive up to Bogus Basin, park your car and ride the trails there, but NOT in March. There will be snow up there until May or June. Riding in town is fine. We have the greenbelt path, a paved path that runs along the river from Lucky Peak Dam to Eagle. There are some bike lanes and for the most part it is an easy place to ride a bike.
    Thanks for the information! Now I know why someone from Boise mentioned that March (or April) was his favorite time to ride - because the SUN ISN'T BAKING HIM AS MUCH BEING IN THE OPEN WITHOUT TREES DURING THAT TIME!

I'm still planning to take a visit out there sometime in March, or perhaps a little later when the trails are rideable. Seems like it will be a great experience, and a nice change of pace from what we have in Nebraska.

dblblack
    Apr 2012
    Hi getagrip;
    If you want to get an idea of what the Boise Foothills and Bogus Basin rides look like, here is a YouTube Playlist that I put together that features rides on several of the trails in the area. Boise Area Mountain Biking. The trees are there as mtnbkrid says - you just gotta ride a ways to find them. If you are just coming out to mountain bike, there are other more scenic options in Idaho. Check out the Sun Valley, Salmon, and Teton Valley areas. Lots more trees in those areas!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dblblack View Post
    Hi getagrip;
    If you want to get an idea of what the Boise Foothills and Bogus Basin rides look like, here is a YouTube Playlist that I put together that features rides on several of the trails in the area. Boise Area Mountain Biking. The trees are there as mtnbkrid says - you just gotta ride a ways to find them. If you are just coming out to mountain bike, there are other more scenic options in Idaho. Check out the Sun Valley, Salmon, and Teton Valley areas. Lots more trees in those areas!
    Thanks for the response. I checked out some of the videos and it looked really cool. One question - for the other areas you mentioned - Sun Valley, Salmon, and Teton Valley, when do the trails usually open? Are we talking March / April or May / June?

dblblack
    Apr 2012
    some of the users like chukt (in this thread), and i think rideit. are more familiar with the specific areas, so they may want to join in here, but in general Sun Valley and Teton Valley would be in the May/June time frame in terms of having the majority of the trails open. I think the Salmon area has a lot of lower elevation stuff that would be available in the March/April time frame, depending on the year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dblblack View Post
    some of the users like chukt (in this thread), and i think rideit. are more familiar with the specific areas, so they may want to join in here, but in general Sun Valley and Teton Valley would be in the May/June time frame in terms of having the majority of the trails open. I think the Salmon area has a lot of lower elevation stuff that would be available in the March/April time frame, depending on the year.
    Thanks. If I don't hear back from the others you mentioned, I may just post back here in a month to see what local trails are like. I would also like to make several mountain bike stops along the way out to Boise, so I may postpone my trip if trail conditions aren't ideal in all areas. I don't HAVE to go to Sun Valley or anything...I just want to get away from work for a week to take a break, and enjoy some riding in the process. Don't know if I can wait until May though to take a week off!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    dblack, nice video list!
    It's all downhill from here.
    (There's a **** of a lot of climbing left.)

mtbr member

Salmon

The lower elevation Salmon trails dry out in mid-March to mid-April.
    Discovery Hill first, then Barracks Lane a couple weeks later.
    Henry Creek and Lower Wagonhammer about then too.

But the way this Winter is going... I would not count on March riding in Salmon.
    You never know...we have had 80s in March.

Sometimes we can shuttle in May...but again, the way this winter is going...doubtful.

sidehiller and I both update the SkidMap for this area. So check there for current trail conditions...we will try to stay on top of the updates.

Twin Falls is drier earliest in Idaho it seems...trail conditions from FaceBook:Spoke and Wheel.

Pocatello dries early too. Do not know if anyone updates the SkidMap there.
    Last edited by chukt; 01-29-2013 at 09:49 AM. Reason: typos

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    trees? WTF?
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank View Post
    trees?
    For shade. Its easier on your skin...