Hi!!!

New question here. Hippie-Tech Suspension...any experience with them?

I first read about them Thrive a couple of years ago and I have seen some bikes that have been Hippie'd. Anyone ever use 'em? Are they like PUSH?

mtbr platinum member
    Kinda like Push, but far less advanced in terms of tuning and R&D. They do a great job on rebuilds and replacing mangled parts. IMHO, prices are a bit high. Service leaves a lot to be desired, as I can't seem to get Jerry to call me back at all.

I'm forever a Push customer, as their service rocks and Darren does a sweet job with custom tuning to my specs.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

Hoops - Big and Small

Fox V.S. Rock Shox

Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    I first read about them Thrive a couple of years ago and I have seen some bikes that have been Hippie'd. Anyone ever use 'em? Are they like PUSH?
    I've used Jerry Vanderpool (first time while he was working out of an apartment) and have'nt used Push.

That said Push services only Fox and and Hippie Tech services mainly Rock Shox.

Push's prices are a bit higher but there is a perceived value in going with Push as they have built a very nice brand of service and product mix .

Jerry will change your oil install new bushings install wipers to manufacture specs and handle tuning questions and try and make you happy. I would say his customer service is a bit seasonal dependent. Hit him up in the middle of winter and he might have some more time on his hands. With Sea Otter coming up FoGetAboutIt.

You going to Push your Orange Abominable Snow Man?

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I've used Jerry a couple of times and bought a custom-built Psylo from him a few years ago. The Psylo took some tries to get it right (new lowers eventually did the trick), but I found Jerry to be responsive to my whining about the fork. Two buddies of mine have also bought custom built forks from him and have had good experiences. Also, if you have an older Rock Shox fork that needs service, Jerry is the guy to go to.

Hoops - Big and Small

Squealer

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    but I found Jerry to be responsive to my whining about the fork.
    I've always thought I was kind of a whiny cust too - he never upcharged me for being a PIA.

http://www.grsites.com/modperl/soundview.cgi?dir=animals&fn=animals025.wav&desc=Pig%20squeal[/URL]

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    Push's prices are a bit higher but there is a perceived value in going with Push as they have built a very nice brand of service and product mix .

Jerry will change your oil install new bushings install wipers to manufacture specs and handle tuning questions and try and make you happy. I would say his customer service is a bit seasonal dependent. Hit him up in the middle of winter and he might have some more time on his hands. With Sea Otter coming up FoGetAboutIt.

You going to Push your Orange Abominable Snow Man?
    Ehhhh not sure yet. First off I just don't have the $ laying around and if it was it would be going towards other things. If I was going to go through PUSH I may as well do both the RP3 and Vanilla, but I think I'm looking at several hundred to do that...maybe $300 or so? Guess I should check their site.

But I don't know if an Average Joe Dork Loop rider like myself will notice the change. As of right now, I like the way my Yeti rides and I'm sure with some fine tuning here and there it can ride better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    He's mainly rebuilding, not tuning so much as Push. He wanted to charge my friend $150 to put in new seals and oil in her 2002 Rock Shox XC. The fork is worth about $80. Does great business being RS official tech center, but with fork prices so low on eBay it almost makes no sense refurbishing a POS fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Jerry did a complete rebuild of my swinger 4 way. Works better now than it did since I had it. The info I got on push is there useless. Basically will make your old pre propedal shock have some platform. I havent used them but Ive gotten opinions from a lot of people who have. Fox doesnt authorize anyone out of house to service shocks either.
    http://www.pushindustries.com/servic...0Rear%20Shocks

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by smoking39
    Jerry did a complete rebuild of my swinger 4 way. Works better now than it did since I had it. The info I got on push is there useless. Basically will make your old pre propedal shock have some platform. I havent used them but Ive gotten opinions from a lot of people who have. Fox doesnt authorize anyone out of house to service shocks either.
    http://www.pushindustries.com/servic...0Rear%20Shocks
    I could never bring myself to spend $$$$ for a PUSH even though many rave about them. $150 (before s/h) to update an old Fox Float RL on a 3 year old bike... or buy a brand new current model DW-Link frame for $510 which includes a new Progressive 5th Element that is warrantied/supported by factory customer service. Hmmmm. Easy choice for me. Oh, I guess I could have bought a RP3 for about $250. What was my point????

mtbr member
    My buddy had a bad experience with Hippie tech. The shaft on his 5th was bent and Hippie replaced it with a used one and charged him for a new one. He had to send it back a couple of times because it kept clunking after Hippie rebuilt it and it felt like crap. After a couple tries he sent it to 5th and they sent him a brand new 5th because the shock was so messed up. Im not sure if Hippie screwed it up as 5th wouldnt say why they sent him a new shock.

sharing the love
    I'm just waiting for someone to fly off the handle defending Hippie Tech or Push like what happened in the thread about bike fitting some time back. Oh, those were the days.
    [SIZE=1]"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." - H.G. Wells[/SIZE]