mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Hidden Springs to Stack Rock???

Every time I get to the top of Red Tail I find myself wanting to keep going all the way up to stack rock. I've heard there's a way, but that it may cross some private land. Anyone know the route? or any route? I see on maps there's a jeep trail that you can pick up close to Cartwright, but I see trails everywhere that aren't in R2R.

This summer I'd like to make the trip once or twice just to say I did it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    i doubt there is an official trail, but i bet you could piece some two track together
    It's all downhill from here.
    (There's a **** of a lot of climbing left.)

Look out!
    One way is to go from sweet sweet connie up and over to Hidden Springs, at the junction when you come out of the canyon there is a lone tree up to the right, go past that, hop a fence find the two track and head down the hill. I did that in 2002/03 and not since. Otherwise make your way over to Avimor I think you can make it from there. Check google earth.
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Mtbmitch has done it

Quote Originally Posted by stackwalker View Post
    Every time I get to the top of Red Tail I find myself wanting to keep going all the way up to stack rock. I've heard there's a way, but that it may cross some private land. Anyone know the route? or any route? I see on maps there's a jeep trail that you can pick up close to Cartwright, but I see trails everywhere that aren't in R2R.

This summer I'd like to make the trip once or twice just to say I did it.
    I'm not sure what route and trails he put together to do it, but you might PM him on here, Mitch, and goes by mtbmitch.
    Sound of Tires on Dirt - Sole Music; shared with friends - Soul Music.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    google earth is a big help, that's how i figured out a route through spring creek up to stack rock and cartwright road. a descent from eastside to stack down to avimor is in order!

mtbr member
    May 2004

Would like to look at Google earth see what you did

Quote Originally Posted by mzinn23 View Post
    google earth is a big help, that's how i figured out a route through spring creek up to stack rock and cartwright road. a descent from eastside to stack down to avimor is in order!
    I'm down to do that ride with ya mang--late spring.
    I'm not sure what you're/oops mean your route is - are you saying climb from Avimoor to stack then go do eastide then descend/ride back to Avimoor?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98 View Post
    I'm down to do that ride with ya mang--late spring.
    I'm not sure what you're/oops mean your route is - are you saying climb from Avimoor to stack then go do eastide then descend/ride back to Avimoor?
    i have never done it, just tracked it through google earth, but there could be a few options. My main one was a deer point, face, shindig, etc down to eastside, and all the way down. or even hard guy to bogus and on.

I would need to do some serious climbing before i go on a ride like that though, that's a lot!

mtbr member
    A couple of years ago I rode from the Avimore up to Stack Rock. You end up taking quite a bit of two track and cow trail. I also had to do a bit of bushwacking through some heavy brush once close to the top.

I took the fir road to the north/west of Stack Rock all the way back down into Avimore.

Because of the condition of the road, being rutted up from rain and cattle, the road appeared to be a better route to come down rather than climb.
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    May 2004

Meh!

Quote Originally Posted by BoiseBoy View Post
    A couple of years ago I rode from the Avimore up to Stack Rock. You end up taking quite a bit of two track and cow trail. I also had to do a bit of bushwacking through some heavy brush once close to the top.

I took the fir road to the north/west of Stack Rock all the way back down into Avimore.

Because of the condition of the road, being rutted up from rain and cattle, the road appeared to be a better route to come down rather than climb.
    Doesn't really sound fun -- to much low quality trail--would rather just do a big ride up top - as mzinn said - like entrance exam up up to face and all that stuff up top, then drop down and do Mahalo (eventually mahalo2), climb out then do eastside and sinker or some other trails around there then climb out. feels really good get those last switchies done up entrance exam and out, then cold brew or cola or whatever and just ahhhhhhh!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    i agree, the most high quality trail will rule! this would be something that would be awesome to set up for next spring/summer. the main thing would be to figure out exactly how to drop down into avimor

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The best route is down the deer trail through Black Bear Gulch at the base of the rock's East face. This drops you through thick pines and aspens and eventually connects to Spring Creek via 2 track. This could be a promissing route someday but keep in mind that you are on private land (currently for sale) owned by M3 Development. The Red Tail/Avimor connector is blocked by two land owners and is years away from any kind of open access. The best way up right now is up Broken Horn road to Broken Horn Trail to Spring Creek. Boise Boy is right though, this is a very primitive trail/road and will beat you down pretty quick.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Black Bear Gulch

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    why start in Hidden Springs, start in Boise, this will provide lots of options and climbing!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmitch2 View Post
    why start in Hidden Springs, start in Boise, this will provide lots of options and climbing!
    A valid question - I live in Hidden Springs, just wanted to find a route. I'll hit the usual suspects climbing this next season. I ride out of Camelsback and Military Reserve every day over a long lunch. Just looking for something new connected to home.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I've done it via two routes - one near Broken Horn (?) and the other near Avimor - but the hoof-beaten trails and boring access roads gets old.

But if I was a swinger in Hidden Springs and wanted to get in some cardio before swapping wives it would be a nice adventure.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    I've done it via two routes - one near Broken Horn (?) and the other near Avimor - but the hoof-beaten trails and boring access roads gets old.

But if I was a swinger in Hidden Springs and wanted to get in some cardio before swapping wives it would be a nice adventure.
    Best post yet for 2012....
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Look out!
    From here to there, point it down hill and let it rip
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hidden Springs to Stack Rock???-stackrockwestb.jpg  

Ride the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2006

The Way to Stack Rock

Two years ago I explored the Avimor to stack rock options. The only legal way to do it is the Spring Creek approach up black bear gulch and stay to the right on the single track that exits the creek bottom all the way up to The Rock. It's a bushwhacking hike a bike for sure but can be done. The two track that leaves the gulch to the left on M3 property they do NOT want you on -- we spoke to the owners who specifically told us to stay the f--k off! So use that road at your own risk.

This summer I explored the Hidden Springs to Stack Rock options. As mentioned earlier, the only way to do that without crossing on private/unauthorized access land is via Sweet Connie. Even if you go across the unauthorized private land, you end up at the bottom of the Avimor to Stack Rock bushwack section (don't ask me how I know this....).

In either case (coming from HS or Avimor) the rides are a beating, and even the descending ain't all that much fun. Kinda cool to say you've done it.....but I'll never do it again. Much more fun to use the legal trails/roads that are up at Bogus/Stack Rock.

My 2 cents....

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post

2nd nomination for best quote.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That story just never dies. I've yet to be invited to any of these parties they speak of where the keys go in a basket, but I'll keep holding on to hope.
    I hadnt heard from the guys that told me of the fabled route that it was that overgrown, but I'm not that into brush-beating. Perhaps I'll wait for the town association to work the deals they keep talking about to get a serviceable trail up. Also not a fan of bullets so I'll steer clear of the private land.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Carnal knowledge. It's a beautiful thing.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.