Thread: Hey flipnidaho

Unicycles are for clowns
    Feb 2005

Hey flipnidaho

A saw in a previous thread you TIG welded your own bike at after taking a class at UBI in Ashland, OR. I wanted to know what your experience was like, etc. Did you take the two-week class; did you stay in the dorms? Would you take another class? Are you going to build another bike some day? Recommendations? I may have more questions, so thanks in advance.

mtbr member

Yes...

Quote Originally Posted by kuna
    A saw in a previous thread you TIG welded your own bike at after taking a class at UBI in Ashland, OR. I wanted to know what your experience was like, etc. Did you take the two-week class; did you stay in the dorms? Would you take another class? Are you going to build another bike some day? Recommendations? I may have more questions, so thanks in advance.
    Ashland is an awesome town. The school is downtown and 5 minutes away from some really good riding (unlike Boise, you're in the trees right away and climbing). Ashland is not a cheap town but it did have a good vibe (it's a college town). I took the 2 week Fillet Brazing class (not TIG) which was an excellent class. I'm going back early next year to do TIG Ti. I stayed in hotels since I had my dog with me but the dorms (next door to the school) are way cheaper. I also took the Professional Mechanics and Bike Shop management class a couple of years ago. I definitely recommend it. My $.02 is, you can buy a Seven or IF custom Ti and spend $3k for the frame or you can design (the teachers for TIG Ti I think are DeSalvo and Kish) your own frame, select your own tubes and lugs, cut and miter the tubes, jig it up and build it yourself for about the same cost... Plus, given enough time leftover, you maybe able to braze/weld up your own fork! Yes, even a lugged rigid fork for your SS/29er. For framebuilding "alumni" they are offering 1 week courses in framebuilding if you already have your design on paper (the first week of the regular class is spent on design theory and practice brazing and welding).
    Oh yeah, after you take the class, you get to make a 1 time order from United Bicycle Tools (not affiliated with UBI) of tools/parts at wholesale. I'm not sure if it's the same for QBP also.
    After you finish the class, you'll never look at a frame the same way again.

Unicycles are for clowns
    Feb 2005
    How many hours per day were you in class? Did you have the weekends off?

mtbr member

Like a workday

Quote Originally Posted by kuna
    How many hours per day were you in class? Did you have the weekends off?
    About 8 hours a day with breaks and a 1 hour lunch break. We did have weekends off when the students got together to ride, drink, and talk bikes. When I did the brazing class, most of the kids put together lugged roadies and fixies (I was the only one that built a mountainbike). We weighed the bikes after we were finished (before paint but with fixtures) and most bikes weighed in at 3lbs to 3.25lbs-which is amazing for a lugged steel frame! Mine was at 4lbs 1oz because I used a liberal amount of brass...