mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Help a MT noob out with rides

Myself and a couple others are heading out for a little road trip to Glacier National Park tomorrow.

Were total noobs when it comes to MT mt biking but really wanna get a sample of what you guys got up there. Two of us will be riding and are down for any type of ride(though the other guy isn't a huge uphill fan), the third guy doesn't ride and will be watchin the dog while we were hoping to squeeze in some rides.

Were looking for some rec's for relatively easy access/easy in-out trails but still quality. Ideally somewhere our buddy would have a good time hiking with the dog too. Not looking for any big epics but 1-3 hour rides would be great. We'll be driving through on i90 then heading north from Missoula then looping back down i15.

Thanks for any advice.

jones'in
    Send a PM to 'kntr'. He lives in the Flathead and can give you some recommendations...
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Depending on timing the Rattlesnake Rec. Area might be an opion.

There's 30+ miles of Singletrack to be had and it is right in Missoula and right off I-90.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks guys. Rattlesnake sounds ideal. I'll try to send off a pm to him as well. Were leaving today but we'll have my friends handy-dandy Iphone so we can check in and research 'em. Thanks for any suggestions. Feel free to keep em coming.

beater
    [QUOTE=StinkyYeti]then looping back down i15. QUOTE]

That brings you by Helena. The South Hills have loads of easily accessible trails for 1-3 hour rides.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

bunch of riding near whitefish

PM me your # and I can give you some quick info depending on preferred riding type

Consider driving up the swan valley MT83 instead of us 93 -much prettier and with construction lately, quicker and less congested

Close to glacier is the desert mountain loop-fire roads up trail down, eat pie

Glacier cyclery in whitefish 862-6446 and great northern cycles 862-5321
    can also steer you toward what you are looking for

mtbr member

I-phone?

That I-phone may not prove to be so handy-dandy.

I was under the impression that they don't work in MT because AT&T doesn't operate here. Read something about that in the paper a while back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

correct

you are correct att is somewhat sucky here

i will pm you my phone

otherwise watcha looking for ? type, duration, vert

beater
    iPhones work just fine; Cellular One (formerly Chinook Wireless) is a GSM network. I've had an unlocked 2G here in Helena since November 2007.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

maybe its a westside thing

in the past all my visitors with att have been sol except in town. Could have improved but a quick web search shows a lot of complaints from flathead and lincoln counties-even the coverage maps look different. I think verizons is actually legit as i have often been surprised to get service in some places. Too, I think cdma is supposed to deal with weaker signals and longer distances than tdma (gsm) .

Fast, not that fast
    IPhone is workin now and has worked off an on the way here

thanks for the advice guys we will be lookin into it

goin to hit rattlsnake after breakfast

lookin forward to glacier etc

3pin thanks we will try to contact Lou

beater
    Now we're OT, but I didn't make any claims about the coverage. Verizon has a far more extensive network in MT than Cellular One; nobody will argue that. That's why the coverage maps look different- they're completely separate networks. On the other hand, in a rural and remote state like MT, I never expected full coverage everywhere, which even Verizon doesn't provide. The GSM network gives me the ability to use the phone I want in the places I spend most of my time. But you're right- the NW part of the state is a huge GSM dead zone, as is most of the Hi Line.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Enjoy your time in MT!
    I hit a few rides in the Rattlesnake yesterday and conditions were just perfect.
    Did Wallman from both directions and finished up with a quick climb up Curry to the Upper Connector Trail and came back down the Front of Sawmill and out the Dropout Trail.
    Temps in the lower 70's and not a single trail user to be seen outside of the parking lot.
    September!

mtbr member
    if you are heading towards glacier park i'd recommend checking out the strawberry lake trail which is an access point for the Swan Crest. It's an amazing piece of singletrack that takes you up and up to the scenic high alpine lake. Once you reach the lake and if you have enough time or energy you should try to ride a bit of the swan crest trail. Should be perfect for your hiking pal too.

mtbr member
    PM me if you want a guided tour. Im in Kalispell and can hook you up with the goods. We have some amazing trails here. shhhhh

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for all the info folks! You guys came through! We had a great trip. We ended up only hittin Rattlesnake area(curry to sawmill gulch) in Missoula, South Hills(helena ridge) in Helena and Round mtn/meadows(?) in Whitefish. Wish I coulda hooked up and spent more time in Whitefish, I really liked the place, but our non biking friend was rushing us. We did get lots of hiking in Glacier done though.

Picked up a Montana guidebook while we were there. Holy shat, we will be back! Great trails and great country up thar.

And ya the at&t/iphone was pretty spotty up there.

mtbr member
    You should have PMed me. I could have shown you the goods.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Aw man, believe me, I wanted to. I'm still kickin myself for only getting in those few rides but my buddy was bein the cranky flatlander type. Swear, he would of been just fine driving all that way just to drive the going-to-the-sun road.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

i am forced to agree

not to pile on here, But a PM to KNTR or me would have sent you to some place better than round meadows-I doubt either of us would have mentioned there . So anyway, next time give us a yell

-where is home anyway?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It's alright guys, I can take it. I was bitter that day too cause i didnt get to explore more Whitefish. Esp. since it's probably one of the few times i'll ever be there....but then again, probably not after this trip.

I figured round meadow was probably the least recommended place there too but it was getting to be late evening and with the schedule, that's all we were able to get. Sucks!

Evenflow and Myself are in Fort Collins.

Oh and thanks for the Swan Valley recommendation! Even though we missed a turn(takin in the scenery) towards Kalispell and went about 50miles out of the way. Great views and no construction, especially nice cause it seemed like everywhere we went we ran into some. Togwotee Pass sucked!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by threepin
    not to pile on here, But a PM to KNTR or me would have sent you to some place better than round meadows-I doubt either of us would have mentioned there . So anyway, next time give us a yell

-where is home anyway?
    THREEPIN,
    Are you located in Kalispell? We have a big goup doing Doris Lake to Columbia Mountain tomorrow. We are going to ride down the backside of Cloumbia (trail 51).

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    If the impatient hiker wasn't the driver, I would have told him to take a Greyhound up to Whitefish and you'll meet up with him later. That's a long ways to drive to just "look around."

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Your tellin me! Thats just the way some midwest folks are--windshield tourists. WAY too damn far to just have a look-see. Ya gotta get out there and get your hands dirty!!

He'll learn one day....

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

crap -just saw this today

thanks for the invite-did you go today? chilly and wet i bet
    did you hear about the repack downhill on desert mtn today?- I Don't have a coaster brake bike so I didn't check it out
    tried to hike up to doris mtn a few weeks ago but used the hiking guide (stormy good) and without a flathead nf map-the book doesn't give the best directions. would appreciate a good loop in that area.
    I live out past big mountain on east lakeshore.

Cheers, Bill