mtbr member
    Jun 2010

hells canyon info

Hello,

During my recent float trip in hells canyon I noticed several trails where back Packers traveled. Our guide said the trail goes from the dam to pittsburg landing. Ultimately does anyone have experience on the trail? Is it ride able?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I could certainly be wrong but I thought you couldn't ride there because it is a wilderness area.

Don't worry, be happy!

hells canyon info

Wild and Scenic River corridors, of which Hell's Canyon is one, have the same regulations as Wilderness Areas. I looked into this because the Middle Fork Salmon also has an amazing trail along a good portion of its length.

26er
    This trail is open to bikes and I have ridden it as an out and back from Pittsburgh landing about 7 years ago. The trail is the Snake River National Recreation Trail #102 and it is best ridden as an out and back since the part near the dam is in poor shape. Most people only hike to kirkham ranch so the trail is in the best shape to that point. Beyond that the trail gets less and less traveled. You could certainly start from the dam just be ready for some hike-a-bikes.

Now a big warning here!!!! This trail is very challenging and has some extreme exposure so should only be ridden by expert riders. The penalty for failure is certain death in a number of sections. Put it this way the portal trail in Moab is easy compared to this trail.

Finally you might want to wait until October to attempt since it can be really hot and there are lots of snakes!

Hells Canyon National Recreation Area - Snake Rive - Snake River National Recreation Trail 23102
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Cool. Glad to be wrong.

Don't worry, be happy!
    me too?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    formica

the middle fork of the salmon sits in the middle of a large wilderness area. that is why, not the wild and scenic part.

I have read about peeps, dropping in from seven devils and than jet boating out. sounds pretty cool to me.

Don't worry, be happy!
    The way it was explained to me is that the SR corridor is different entity from the Wilderness Area but that the same rules applied for trails. It doesn't really matter.... so much for my dream of riding sections of the MF trail by day while my hubby floats my camping gear from camp to camp on our raft.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Good info... Thanks all