mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm Helena montana June 22nd and 23rd!!! Need a guide to all mountain trails!!!

A couple buddies and I are going to be in Helena June 22nd and 23rd! I'm looking for trail intel or a trail guide for one or both days. I'm used to pacific northwest trail. Lots of elevation with rocky rooty terrain. Fairly aggresive rider. 6 inch trail bikes. Hoping to find some good trails to ride while i'm in town. Any info is greatly appreciated!! Looked up the trails listed on here, but the reviews are pretty vague to what kind of trail they are. Jumps, rock rollers and drops are also welcomed

beater
    I responded to the x-post in the AM forum, but I'll copy that here in case anyone else is looking for info:

There is a weekend shuttle from downtown to the Mount Helena ridge trailhead, ~6 miles south of town. The shuttle is free (donations gladly accepted), departing from the Women's Mural across from the Base Camp (Broadway and Park) at 8:00, 8:40 and 9:20. The Ridge is pretty mellow, but fun. It also puts up on top of some suggested downhills, such as Show Me the Horse. I often catch the 8:00 and hustle down the Ridge and the Horse and then catch the 9:20 for a second lap. Other good routes off the Ridge are down Emmett's and up the adjacent ridge to Stairway to Heaven / Highway to Hell, or all the way down the Ridge and up to the top of Mount Helena to descend Hogback Trail. Hogback is the burliest trail in town by far. Not many drops around the South Hills. There are some jumps and berms in the bottom of Davis Gulch (head out of town on Davis St).

Away from the Mt. Helena Ridge, you'll want to ride Top of the World / Rent Money (both on Rodney Ridge) and Entertainment Trail on Mount Ascension. Just keep in mind that all our trails are multi-use and multi-directional, so you'll run into trail runners, dog walkers and people out for a stroll. That's more likely in some places than others.

Trail conditions vary with geology: buff, rubble over hardpack, and rocky/blocky are the most common, in that order. Most climbs are around 10%.

You can find trail maps online; the City has one on its website. I recommend buying one from any outdoor store in town. They're affordable and are quality, and the proceeds benefit our local land trust.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.