• 10-29-2012
    afraid
    Helena, Homestake, Pipestone Pass?
    How are the conditions? Snow?
  • 10-30-2012
    evasive
    Don't know about Pipestone, but Helena has had perfect tacky hero dirt since yesterday (Monday).
  • 11-03-2012
    afraid
    thanks! thinking about helena tomorrow (sunday), but maybe homestake if someone can give a definitive report...
  • 11-03-2012
    evasive
    We've had perfect conditions all week, and the trails are still tacky and perfect. There are trees down all over, but thanks to a lot of local efforts, the trails are clear.
  • 11-20-2012
    evasive
    Pipestone? Any of you Bozos or Butteians know anything about conditions there?

Helena got about 2 feet out of that system a couple weeks ago, and we still have a wet 4-5" of it hanging around. Scratchgravels don't look too promising either. But with a long weekend coming up, Pipestone or L&C sounds like a good escape if rideable.
  • 11-28-2012
    MikeyMT
    Any updates from Helena. Looking to get a ride in this weekend.
  • 11-28-2012
    evasive
    Scratchgravels are probably rideable. A friend of mine went out there Sunday.

Most of the South Hills still have snow around. I saw a report on FB this AM that the main descent off Mount Helena (Hogsback - Prospect Shafts) is completely clear, which isn't surprising, but I doubt it's representative of conditions all around. The 1906 trail probably has snow on it since its timbered and north-facing, so you'd have to stay on the open slopes. I'm hoping I can bag that descent once more before we get snowed again, myself.

We have 20% chances forecast through Saturday, and then 50% on Sunday.
  • 12-06-2012
    MikeyMT
    Hmm...what do you guys think..I drove up last weekend and had a lot of fun.

Still doable this week? Mt. Helena trails maybe?
  • 12-06-2012
    evasive
    For sure, assuming we don't get any precip between now and then. I'm planning to get out myself. Some spots will be better than others, I imagine, but there should be rideable trail.
  • 12-07-2012
    evasive
    We got a light dusting last night, but that was it. Today's forecast is calling for 80% chance of up to 2 inches. We'll see.
  • 12-08-2012
    evasive
    Quote:

Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    We got a light dusting last night, but that was it. Today's forecast is calling for 80% chance of up to 2 inches. We'll see.

And we have an inch of not-quite-powder so far.
  • 01-17-2013
    evasive
    Anyone know anything about Pipestone conditions? Getting a little antsy up here and I'm not sure XC skiing is the answer.
  • 02-04-2013
    evasive
    As of Superbowl weekend: I talked to someone on Friday who had raced in the Powderhound, and he said that the bike leg sucked. I'm guessing Pipestone is probably still a bit snowy.

I rode a bit at L&C Caverns yesterday AM. The trails still have a fair amount of moisture in them, and bike use there has created quite a few ruts. We started out with frozen ground, but by noon it was thawing and we had to bail.
  • 02-04-2013
    dir-T
    The snowboarding sure has been good lately.
  • 02-04-2013
    evasive
    Helena, Homestake, Pipestone Pass?
    I've had 2 days at Targhee and that's it for non-XC this year. I'll get a Disco pass in a month and pick up some March days, I suppose, but I'm not feeling the snow passion the way I used to.