mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Hardguy or Dry Creek Climb?

I have been up and down Hardguy trail, but never been on Dry Creek. Is Hardguy or Dry Creek a tougher climb? I was thinking about climbing up Dry Creek this weekend and coming back down the same way because of more shade on the trail. Looking for feedback and opinions. Or I could just do Hardguy to Dry Creek and down.

-Z

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    There are more technical bits on Dry Creek climb where you have anorobic sprints but overall, I think it is a pretty mellow climb. Shade is a big selling point about now, hope I don't scare you coming down it though as it is one of the best descents we have

dblblack
    Apr 2012
    I've done rides up Dry Creek a few times. It does have some steeper climbs has you get up higher up in the canyon. I have done the Hardguy climb and Dry Creek Downhill and if you leave early in the morning to beat the heat, then that would be a good option even this weekend. If you want an idea of what the Dry Creek trail looks like from the downhill point of view, I have a couple of Videos and the GPS data in this boise foothills site. This ride actually originated and ended at Camelback, but you could do a shorter version starting at the Corrals TH.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I would avoid riding up dry creek. If you run into anyone coming down they won't be expecting you coming up and there are places they wouldn't see you until it's to late. Usually hikers and such up hill traffic is on the lower section where it is open and you can see a bit in front of you. A couple weeks ago I almost had a head on with a guy on a KTM 450 making his way up, I didn't hear him or see him until we were really close, I didn't even know motorcycles were allowed. If your looking for a longer ride take the shuttle from camels back (9:30 am, $12) do east side to stack rock then hop on shafer butte road and climb up to mahalo and then take dry creek down. Probably be close to the same mileage and so much better.

mtbr member
    The difference is, climbing up= Dry Creek -you actually have to pick a line +shade on half of trail. Erect Guy- sit and spin.

Going down =Dry Creek -No brainer, Big fun! + shade (you will wonder why you ever rode down any other way! Erect guy-yaaaawn
    Hey, is that a Huffy? That's a nice-lookin' bike, boy!

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Fact is, yer gonna die anyway, so you might as well sack up and ride up it.

Yul be a better person for it.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Hard Guy is brutal on the way up due to the fact that there is almost no shade on the majority of that ride. There is one tree about 3/4's of the way up and that's it till the tree line. Dry Creek has a lot more shade but will certainly have more hikers and I have also experienced a moto rider on that trail. Go early on either and that will help, but of course, you are not a 14 year old that refers to the trail as an erection, so you already knew that. Maybe I should try an kill myself on that tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I rode up Dry Creek this evening for the first time. Great ride except for the two rattlesnakes I almost ran over on the lower part. Both were laying out right on the trail and coiled up immediately. Then on the upper part two guys (the only people I saw) passed me coming down but fortunately had plenty of time to slow down after seeing me. One of the guys politely informed me I was going the "wrong way" and said he had never seen anyone ever going up it.

mtbr member
    I always wondered where those spur trails on Dry Creek and Harg Guy went to. I had no idea that they connected the two.

I took off earlier this AM to do the HG to DC ride, but did not feel well so I headed back down HG and took the connector over to DC to check it out. Sure enough, I get to the bottom of the connector and their is a rattle snake coiled up on the trail.
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I don't think there is a 'wrong way' to ride Dry Creek. It's one of the best descents and climbs in the footies. Whoever told you that's it's down-only is probably worried about their Strava ranking
    Last edited by jimhine; 07-15-2012 at 06:52 AM.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by jimhine View Post
    I don't think there is a 'wrong way' to ride Dry Creek. It's one of the best descents and climbs in the footies. Whoever told you that's it's down-only is probably worried about their Strava ranking
    We should ALL be worried about our Strava ranking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I ended up riding up Hardguy last Saturday and came down Dry Creek. Seems like if you went up Dry Creek there would be a lot of hike a bike towards the top. Very cool trail though.