Laramie, Wyoming

Happy Jack Winter Riding Conditions

After a week of warm temperatures I was expecting the trails to be terrible. I was wrong. It's pretty good for fat biking.

The sections that saw some grooming a couple of weeks ago are well packed but not icy.

The Headquarters trail is well packed and the snow on some sections being blown away but it is in good condition.

The snowshoe trail is completely rideable and the picture below shows the conditions pretty nicely.

Fat Biker
    Nice, I should have texted you for conditions. Wind at my house was horrendous. Probably was nice and warm in the trees with minimal wind.

Sent from my mobile
    Don't be a Hater!
    SS Black Sheep Phat Speedster
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-Blog

Laramie, Wyoming
    I wasn't even going to talk about the wind. One could ride up the last push to the end of Brown's Landing without even pedaling. I went out Snowshoe, Headquarters, Double Diamond and back Headquarters making a loop. They were calling for winds up to 60 mph on top.

mtbr member
    I was out in Vedauwoo hiking near Vedauwoo road and the wind was crazy. Fallen trees were everywhere.
    Thanks for starting the thread. I will be checking regularly.

Laramie, Wyoming
    We are going to need the snow we are expecting at the end of this week. The trails are beyond well packed and after the winds of the past couple of days don't be shocked to find a few more horizontal trees.

It's only been a couple weeks ago that I cut the tree my bike is leaning against.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Man I better get my rock skis out. Not worth it yet. Looks like happy jack needs another foot of snow. Anybody hit up the snowies yet? I was thinking about checking out the ski trails however probably not enough snow.

mtbr member
    Anyone been up there in the last day or two? Thinking of weekend excursion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The only place that has decent snow right now is the snowys. I skied barber lake and part of libby creek trail. About 2 feet of snow. It was hard packed, however pot holed from snow shoes.

Laramie, Wyoming
    I rode the snowshoe trail and Headquarters Trail to the end of Brown's Landing last night. The fluffy new snow on top of WELL packed snow/ice made it a little slick. It was snowing during the entire ride and I assume it will be a challenge to ride up there for a few days which would include a lot of walking.

mtbr member
    I started a Google Doc here that should be accessible to anyone. Feel free to add in comments on conditions if you've been up there more recently than what's reported.
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools. -Ernest Hemingway

mtbr member
    Two or three inches of snow in the last 24 hours. The trails were still surprisingly rideable today, I only spun out on a few of the steeper sections of Aspen. I updated the conditions page, but everyone who volunteered to "groom" a trail should get out in the next couple of days to snowshoe so the runners' and hikers' pock-marks don't set up too solidly.
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools. -Ernest Hemingway

Fat Biker
    Did 4-5 loops of headquarters this evening. Trails were great, just like Evan said. Tomorrow evening I'll be riding if someone wants to join me bring your lights
    Don't be a Hater!
    SS Black Sheep Phat Speedster
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-Blog