mtbr member
    May 2011

Grouse Creek Trail, Pahsimeroi Range, Idaho

Decided to check out the Grouse Creek Trail in the Pahsimeroi Range southeast of Challis and south of May, Idaho to see if I could get out of the smoke. After leaving the pavement up the Pahsimeroi Valley Road, it is about 5 miles on a cobbly high clearance road to the mouth of Grouse Creek canyon where I unloaded the mtn bike at about 6,200 foot elevation. Rode up the canyon 8 miles on jeep road, atv road, singletrack, game trail and parked the bike at about 8,000 foot level where the trail disappears and the downfall gets heavy. Hiked about 2 and 1/2 miles up to Grouse Creek Lake/pond/bathtub at 9,400 foot elevation and to the headwall above the lake. Had a blast riding back down the lower 8 miles. Grouse Creek lake appears to loose most of its water in the summer. Grouse Creek is intermittent in the canyon and I only saw it flowing in the vicinity of quake lake along the trail. The peaks around Grouse Creek are between 10,000 and 11,000 feet in elevation. Attached photo's of the ride and hike. Very scenic country. Photo's are:

Looking towards mouth of Grouse Creek Canyon.
    Two track in canyon.
    Looking up canyon.
    Grouse Creek drainage.
    Primitive singletrack.
    Idaho slickrock.
    Twisted Crank?
    Headwall of Grouse Creek.
    Grouse Creek Lake.
    Old cabin along trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grouse Creek Trail, Pahsimeroi Range, Idaho-p1010003.jpg  

Grouse Creek Trail, Pahsimeroi Range, Idaho-p1010007.jpg  

Grouse Creek Trail, Pahsimeroi Range, Idaho-p1010009.jpg  

Grouse Creek Trail, Pahsimeroi Range, Idaho-p1010013.jpg  

Grouse Creek Trail, Pahsimeroi Range, Idaho-p1010014.jpg  

Grouse Creek Trail, Pahsimeroi Range, Idaho-p1010030.jpg  

Grouse Creek Trail, Pahsimeroi Range, Idaho-p1010038.jpg  

Grouse Creek Trail, Pahsimeroi Range, Idaho-p1010063.jpg  

Grouse Creek Trail, Pahsimeroi Range, Idaho-p1010071.jpg  

Grouse Creek Trail, Pahsimeroi Range, Idaho-p1010081.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    No diving in that lake! Have you rode elsewhere in the pahasimiroi? It seems like once you get into them they go straight up. Lost river range and lemhi's are closer to me than sawtooth stuff. Any hot tubs that direction?
    ATV = fat A$$

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    More of the goods! You are having too much fun.

The bathtub must be awesome when the algae blooms and the Cryptosporidium kicks in.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    butryon

The riding in the Pahsimeroi Range and western portion of the Southern Lemhi's is pretty remote to get to. Need to check out some more potential rides there in Big Creek and upper Pahsimeroi River headwaters. There's the commercial Challis Hot Springs in Challis. Between Challis and Salmon near Elk Bend is the Goldbug Hot Springs, about a 1.5 mile hike in. Southeast of Salmon near Tendoy is the BLM Sharkey Hot Springs alongside the road. Good riding on the Continental Divide Trail near there and in Big Timber Creek area south of there. In the upper Little Lost River headwaters is the Snowbank Trail. Great mtn riding there. Those rides seem right up your alley after reading about your excursion in the White Clouds.

Twisted. I did see some green pond scum on the bottom of the pond and no living creatures in it.