Thread: Great Falls MT?

mtbr member
    May 2011

Great Falls MT?

I'm gonna be heading out this way in Aug timeframe, was wondering if anybody had any suggestions in this area? If so, what tires do you recommend? Thanks,

Jesse

Vanilla Gorilla
    I would suggest the two rides from the MT Singletrack book in the Highwood Mountains.

Montana Singletrack: The Mountain Biker's Guide to Montana: Will Robertson: 9781887460101: Amazon.com: Books

Here is my GPS data from riding there last summer.

Thain Creek
    Highwood Mountain, Thain Creek by popper1101 at Garmin Connect - Details

Windy Mountain
    Highwood Mountains, Windy Mountain by popper1101 at Garmin Connect - Details

As for tires, pick your poison...trails should be dry and firm by then. I rode them on DH Kenda nevgal which were not the most efficient, but always a good ride for me (my XC bike was out of comission so rode my RM Slayer). Skinnier cross tires will work fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I will also be out in Great Falls around the fourth of July so any more suggestions would be great!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Agree with popper, Highwoods are good. What type of riding are you looking for. Driving distance, trail distance, climbing, how many vehicles (shuttle), etc..

mtbr member

Out of Print

Quote Originally Posted by popper1101 View Post
    That is a great guidebook. Pick it up if you can find it.

The Amazon link posted lists MT Singletrack for $$320+!! Beartooth Publishing shows it as "temporarily out of print".

I saw this book still for sale at Missoula REI last time I was there (8 months ago). Call some local bike shops to see if they still have copies.
    Last edited by chukt; 03-04-2013 at 09:23 AM. Reason: more to add

mtbr member

For Sale Cheeep

Quote Originally Posted by chukt View Post
    The Amazon link posted lists MT Singletrack for $$320+!!
    I would consider selling you my personal copy for a bargain basement price of $275 (plus shipping of course).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I currently ride around northern CO and WY. I guess single track, little more than XC type, something with a fun downhill and a decent climb. I can't go too far out of town, will be there for work mostly, but when I get off, I wanna ride. I talked to somebody at a local bike shop there and he mentioned there are some trails about 10 min away in great falls? There is like a 14 mile loop? Thanks guys, this is all good info.

On a side note, if I get some good time, I will be way down for the highwoods for sure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Great Falls MT?

There is some decent single track right on the edge of town along the river associated with Rivers Edge Trail ( google it for maps). There are two choices, north shore and South shore, north shore is a pain to get to (if you're looking for a quick after work ride) you have to drive 15-20 minutes out of town to get around some dam construction that closed the single track. South shore is great for quick rides and has some pretty decent single track that is well maintained. The Rivers Edge trail runs next to the Missouri River and is paved where it goes thru town, to get to the dirt just intersect the trail somewhere in town and take it all the way east to Rainbow Dam where it will turn to dirt or drive to Rainbow dam and park in the lot at the trailhead. The trail is a little over 11ish miles one way if you take it all the way out, more techy stuff right on the cliff edge next to river (nothing too intense just don't fall in the river) and more double/single track set back from the edge. I normally ride from my house and can be on the in trail 10 minutes, great for those after work rides. Also highly recommend the Highwood trails. Let me know if you need more info.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thats awesome! must be nice to be so close lol this fits the bill..i will be sure to hit this particular trail when not at work. All great info! excited to see what MT has to offer...and if i can, i will hit the highwoods, looked into it, place seems nice for sure.